post your latest transmission lubricant change.

04 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4x4, 179xxx miles on the truck, just a drain and fill
Out: mix of multiple brands of dex/merc and dex VI, even a little bit of maxlife, fluid was still red but not clear, smelled normal, about 3 qts drained out from pan.

In:
IMG_0503.jpeg

Wife’s 2007 Infiniti M35
Mileage: 128,280

I did my 3rd transmission drain and fill over the last 4,800 miles using Idemitsu Type S fluid. The first ever ATF service on this car was done at an Infiniti dealer at 72K miles using the Wynn's exchange machine. Before my first drain and fill, this Jatco transmission hesitated on downshifts. It shifts like new now. After doing two vehicles today, my 72 year old body is aching!

M35 090323 ATF.JPG

Last edited:
no pictures sorry.

2010 Forte with 175k- out mostly VML since I did a 3x D&F 30k ago. It was actually kind of dark IMO. I might do another one soon to exchange more. Tranny doesn't feel like it's shifting as good as it used to.

In VML about 3 qts. did the PS at the same time. The HF fluid extractor makes it pretty easy.

Last edited:
no pictures sorry.

2010 Forte with 175k- out mostly VML since I did a 3x D&F 30k ago. It was actually kind of dark IMO. I might do another one soon to exchange more. Tranny doesn't feel like it's shifting as good as it used to.

In VML about 3 qts. did the PS at the same time. The HF fluid extractor makes it pretty easy.
And now I'm questioning myself. I used the Red Bottle VML and did last times also. I'm not opposed to doing 3 more fluid extract and fills with the Import Multi Vehicle.

I'm wondering If I should be using the Blue Import Full Syn which has a bit thicker viscosity? It was originally spec'd for ATF SP III.

For my Daughter's CRV, which was originally spec'd for Z-1, HPL recommended their slightly thicker Blue vs the Green. I would equate that to same scenario for the Forte maybe. (not color just viscosity spec).

Newly-acquired 2011 Grand Marquis. 177,580 miles. Fluid was dark, but not smelly. No debris in pan. Magnet had a bit of sludge, but no slivers or chunks. Bit disappointed to see the lollipop in there, but overall not bad. Fresh Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft Mercon LV went in along with a new pan with a drain plug. Addition drain & fills forthcoming soon.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 23
2012 GMC Canyon 64.5k mi on truck.

Out: whatever bulk transmission fluid shop put in 20k miles ago

In: 6qts Amsoil SS fuel efficient ATF

View attachment 175745
Just finished another exchange on the truck after driving for the last few days. Total now is 2.5 gallons of Amsoil SS fuel efficient ATF has been exchanged. Actually about 1/2qt shy of 2.5 gallons but who’s really counting 😉

Think she’s good for another little while. Have another 2.5 gallon jug for wife’s car in another 10k miles.

Update to my 2011 Grand Marquis above. Did a second D&F today and the fluid was still a bit dark. I think a 3rd or possibly 4th D&F may be in order. Trans holds 14 qts and a drain & fill only gets just under 4 quarts out so according to my partial drain calculator, I'm now at 49% and a third will bring me to 64%.

Update to my 2011 Grand Marquis above. Did a second D&F today and the fluid was still a bit dark. I think a 3rd or possibly 4th D&F may be in order. Trans holds 14 qts and a drain & fill only gets just under 4 quarts out so according to my partial drain calculator, I'm now at 49% and a third will bring me to 64%.
Did this Grand Marquis have an External Trans Cooler like the 1 you had on your Marauder?

All later Panthers have an external cooler as opposed to one in the radiator tank.

But neither car has an aux cooler (additional to the factory one).

All later Panthers have an external cooler as opposed to one in the radiator tank.

But neither car has an aux cooler (additional to the factory one).
Lollipop inside trans Pan tells me that Trans Fluid was never changed. Is the trans running any different with the new Fluid and Filter?

Sounds like a good plan! On my 2008 Vic, I ended up adding a dorman trans pan just to make the fluid changes easier. So glad I did, 7 years later and still enjoying easy ATF services and no leaks!

Back