Post your latest small engine oil change

1997 Honda Harmony II HRS-216PDA
Out: Briggs & Stratton 30
In: 14 oz ST 10W-30 Lawn Mower Oil + 3 oz Rislone
Replaced the spark plug last week (NGK BPR6ES)

I used Rislone previously to help with fuel dilution but forgot to add it the last two OCs. This time the old oil appeared to be fuel diluted so I will resume use of Rislone. I hope to keep this mower running for at least another decade!

20230820_104149.jpg

Weed Eater 17inch Tiller. 5hp B&S engine.
Sitting for 9 years.
Out: Bad gas, unknown oil.
In: New gas, Quaker State 10w30 4x4/SUV. Didnt need the Rotella but its still making a cameo.

Runs like new. Need to fix the other tire, its flat. Then it will help with some home landscape projects the next 12 months.

1692630902466.jpg

Changed my FIL’s 190cc craftsman push mower the other day. From the looks of the grayish blackish watery oil that came out it was the OEM oil. Replaced it with some vintage Valvoline white bottle in SAE 30. This mower is a spare mower used occasionally on steep banks. We replaced it with a Honda RWD mower for Father’s Day 3 years ago. He still drags this out from underneath a tarp where it sits all winter, and starts first pull. Defying logic and any sort of maintenance regime 🤯 unless I volunteer.

Yamaha EF2800i inverter generator with MZ175 engine
Out: Amsoil 10W30/30 small engine
In: Same

Pressure washer with Honda GX200 engine
Out: Amsoil 10W30/30 small engine
In: Same

Bought a new Predator 3500 watt generator inverter after our power was lost from the storm thursday. We were initially told it'd be a couple days but they told us today it's gonna be a week or more before powers restored so we went and purchased it.

Put QS synthetic 10w30 in for the break in and ran it a few hours like the manual said to, then went out at midnight in total darkness to change it out for a second round of 10w30 QS synth. The oil was super metallic so I'll probably change it again tomorrow or Wednesday and see if it's clear or not. Hopefully I don't mess this thing up, I've never had a generator before
You are doing it right. Keeping your eye on the oil
I went ahead and changed it again this morning after running for about 12 more hours and it was really clear so I think I got all the metal out. I will look into a magnet dipstick, from looking into this generator that seems to be one of the most recommended things for it.

I'm gonna use this jug of QS 10w30 up and probably switch it to a 5w30 since I'm possibly going to need to use it in winter. So far it's been way more efficient than it said it would so I'm happy with it!
Try Mobil 1 0w30. That stuff is great for cold weather starts and protection.

Old Ex-Cell 7000W generator, Briggs 14hp.
Out- I think it was Rotella T6 5W-40. It gets started every couple months and run for about 15 minutes and also before every "forecasted" storm. Fortunately have not had to use it for the house in a while. Also had some fuel dilution. Noticed level was high on dipstick but thought maybe I over filled some. Definite fuel smell to it.
In- Mobil1 15W-50 based on the other threads of use in hot conditions. Replaced with new Briggs filter.

Toro Power Max Snow Blower - Tecumseh Snow King
Out - Probably M1 or PP 5W-20
In- Shell Rotella Gas & Truck FS 5W-30

John Deere LTR166 Mower- Briggs 18hp
Out - Probably M1 or PP 5W-20
In - 1qt Havoline Dino 5W-30, 8 oz Rotella Gas & Truck, new Briggs filter.

Why the Havoline Conventional? Using up old stock. Still have 1 more qt from when I used it in kids old leaking CRV before I changed the crank seal. That car is gone for 3 years already.

How often should generator be changed when it is barely used? With the fuel dilution I'd say probably more than what it was. That was maybe 2 years ago.
IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

New 173cc walk behind lawnmower from Canadian Tire, no oil supplied, filled with Duron SAE 40, ran it for two hours, drain and fill with same.
Champion pressure washer 10w30 Duron.
Ariens 306cc FI snowblower 5w30 Duron.
2011 JD X320 726cc Kawasaki 82 hours on machine, 12 hours on oil, 20w50 Castrol motorcycle and 3600 fram ultra.
Hydrostatic drive, 1.5L Shell Spriax J20C spec, vis@40C 60, 100C 9.4 The only way to change it, is suck it out from the vent plug hole. Pita!

2011 JD X320 13 seasons, 84 hours.
Out Castrol motorcycle 20W50 and XG3600.
In same oil and XG8A filter.
Now it takes 3L instead of 2.2 with the stock JD filter.
I stuck a mouse glue trap to the inside of the hood so the filter won’t rub.

Honda EU3000is generator
Toro 724QXE snowblower
Toro HD 1432 OHXE snowblower

All got Amsoil SS Max Duty Diesel 5w30

Back