Post your latest small engine oil change

243004987_816718855668961_6735366779917410788_n.jpg

Circa 2000 Craftsman FWD Self Propelled lawn mower w/ 6.0 Briggs
Out:??? Something kinda gloopy, no glitter though.
In:Mobil1 15W50
Got this mower for free, been trying to find a home for a 190cc Briggs Quantum I trash picked on a mower with a cracked deck and broken front axle assembly.
But I've got this one running, it's kinda loud, at first the throttle response wasn't very good, maybe it had low compression, I think it's been stored for years, the carb was full of nasty varnished gas, I think it was cared for when it was last used because the air filter looked decent, my guess is they tried to run the carb dry but they didn't drop the bowl after running it until it died then it sat for years and the gas turned to varnish, maybe the rings are a little sticky and they're loosing it up as it ran, because it didn't seem to be running very good until after I'd ran it and changed the oil and now it seems better like the rings are losing up, but it's loud and vibrates, maybe the rod bearing isn't good or the blade is very out of balance since it's quite rusty.

J.D. D130 w/ B&S 22 H.P. twin :

Out : Mix of oil weight and brands making synthetic 5w-30 w/ J.D. AM125424c oil filter
Post#1279 : https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/post-your-latest-small-engine-oil-change.128191/page-64 .

In : SHELL Rotella G.T. 5w-30 ( S.N.+ , GF-5 ) w/ same oil filter .

Used an Ocean Spray cranberry juice container , helps w/ less mess . Usually use empty 2 Ltr. bottle of soda , gave up drinking diet sodas . :(

Place ramp under each tire on right side of mower for engine oil draining pipe w/cap and then ramp beneath both left side tires for oil filter to give a better extraction and less mess of oil change .

IMG_7228.JPG
IMG_7230.JPG
IMG_7231.JPG
IMG_7233.JPG
IMG_7237.JPG

Last edited:
Used an Ocean Spray cranberry juice container , helps w/ less mess . Usually use empty 2 Ltr. bottle of soda , gave up drinking diet sodas . :(

Place ramp under each tire on right side of mower for engine oil draining pipe w/cap and then ramp beneath both left side tires for oil filter to give a better extraction and less mess of oil change .
Interesting technique. I usually just jack it and pull the right front wheel. I may have to give that a try.

J.D. D130 w/ B&S 22 H.P. twin :

Out : Mix of oil weight and brands making synthetic 5w-30 w/ J.D. AM125424c oil filter
Post#1279 : https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/post-your-latest-small-engine-oil-change.128191/page-64 .

In : SHELL Rotella G.T. 5w-30 ( S.N.+ , GF-5 ) w/ same oil filter .

View attachment 75786View attachment 75787View attachment 75788View attachment 75789View attachment 75790
Oops, the ramps should be the opposite of what I stated. Place ramps under tires of opposite side to be drained of oil .

Last edited:
I used my MityVac and extracted the 1 year old oil in my 17HP Troy Built riding mower. I left the same filter on the mower since I probably only run it about once a week for 20 minutes. I used ST synthetic 10W30 for a fill. The old oil looked fairly clean which is ok. It doesn't hold much oil and its worth it IMO.

2012 Huskee log splitter - Briggs 190cc 6.75 Ft-Lb torque
Out: SAE 30 of some sort
In: Valvoline Synthetic Euro 5w40

Brought this one back from the dead to use here at home, it had been sitting outside in someone's yard for a while. A little work and it runs great, needed a tire and carb cleaning.

Also flushed hydraulic fluid:

Out: mostly water
In: Traveller ISO 46, Wix 51249 filter

Changed the oil on my frankenmower. It’s a 90s Lawnboy steel deck with a 90s Honda GCV160. The Honda was saved from yard trash and swapped onto the deck, which was given to me by my neighbour when the engine blew. The engine had sat for a long time but ran great after a deep carb clean. I changed the oil at the time of the swap a couple of years ago and decided to do so again this past weekend. It definitely needs to be done at a higher frequency (at least until it cleans up the engine a bit) as it came out very dark.

Out: QSAD 10w30
In: QSAD 10w30

Changed the oil on my frankenmower. It’s a 90s Lawnboy steel deck with a 90s Honda GCV160. The Honda was saved from yard trash and swapped onto the deck, which was given to me by my neighbour when the engine blew. The engine had sat for a long time but ran great after a deep carb clean. I changed the oil at the time of the swap a couple of years ago and decided to do so again this past weekend. It definitely needs to be done at a higher frequency (at least until it cleans up the engine a bit) as it came out very dark.

Out: QSAD 10w30
In: QSAD 10w30
This mower would be a great addition to the photo thread! Gotta love the custom projects!

Gravely Pro Turn 148 with Kaw FX691V yearly change

Out Delo 15/40, MC 910S
In Delo 15/40, MP 3614

Walmart did not have a MC 910S in stock so I wanted a ST 3614 but not in stock. Had to settle for
the MP 3614.

Echo 4000 inverter gen with chinese 212 cc engine. 5 hour change out

out Factory fill came out glittery.
in M1 HM 10/30

Will change again after 10 more hours.

Honda HRX 217VKA W/GCV190 (mower)
13 oz Honda 10W-30 out
13 oz Honda 10W-30 in
Red bottle Honda power equipment oil
New air filter & NGK -BPR5ES spark plug too.
Still have leaves to mulch......

1990's MTD Agway Riding tractor - Repowered with Briggs 17.5hp Intek last season
Out: Rotella 15w40, Briggs filter
In: Supertech 15w40, Napa 21348

This is a very low hour machine that sat in a garage for years, but unfortunately last season the customer forgot to check the oil and the old flathead Briggs seized up solid. The new replacement Intek is doing great.

Late 90's Murray 42" riding mower
B&S 14hp commercial OHV engine
Out: Brad Penn Penngrade 1 15w40
In: Driven GP-1 15w40
No oil filter on this engine

Back