Post your latest small engine oil change

John Deere 757 mower with 2578 hours on a Kawasaki engine. Out with the Schaeffer 15w40 and back in with the same and Wix 51394. Also greased it with Schaeffers 219 Synforce green grease.

2010 John Deere LA125 Riding mower with a 21 hp Intek Briggs & Stratton

112.1 hrs on the unit

Out - Unknown oil , Briggs OEM oil filter

In - 2 qts of 5W-40 Valvoline Advanced SynPower MST and Motorcraft FL-400S

Brand new engine installed in a customer's tractor:

Briggs and Stratton 17.5hp Intek OHV - Rotella 15w40, Briggs filter (already mounted on engine from factory).

Today, Troy Bilt zero turn. Extracted 64oz of hot oil after mowing (50hrs on hr meter) and refilled with Valvoline 10w30 WB.

Changed the oil in my Wen 3800 watt generator last night. Had that storm roll through Iowa Monday and went without power for about 28 hours.

Out - Mobil Super Synthetic 5W30 with about 60 hours on the oil
In - Mobil Super Synthetic 5W30

Last edited:
Bolens QT17
out: unknown
in: castrol edge w/Ti 5w-20 and mmo

shop mower 3.5hp classic
out: unknown
in; evinrude 25w-40/stp/mmo

new shop mower
out: first fill
in: PPPP euro 0w-40

pressure washer
out: fs 5w-20/mmo flush fill
in: M1 t&suv 0w-20 and mmo

Troy Built Generator that ran for 2 days running a deep freezer and a refrigerator. The oil was 3 years old and had been run about an hour a year until Monday when the storm hit Iowa.

Out: I don't recall. I think it was Supertech 30w
In: Royal Purple 5w-30. I like RP as I can see it on the dipstick when I do the changes.

It's now running at a friends house, which hadn't been intended, but they still don't have power.

Predator 4000 generator, Rotella T5 10W-30. Surprised to see it's still shedding some sparklies on its third round of oil, 55 hours on it now, about 20 hours since the last change.

John Deere RX75 mower, Rotella T5 10W-30. No idea how many hours on the unit, but it was changed last summer.

Honda 21 inch self propelled. Six years old and 2nd oil change.
In Valvoline synthetic 5W30

Daughter's 20 inch very basic Murray. Three years old an 1st oil change
In Valvoline synthetic 5W30

I need to take better care of my yard stuff, I would never let one of the cars that I maintain go like this. I recently purchased a 42 inch John Deere
zero turn and I will be doing annual OCI's on all 3 mowers.

J.D. 130 w/ 22 H.P. twin cylinder . John Deere oil filter and 2 quart oil blend of ...
IMG_5113.JPG
IMG_5115.JPG
IMG_5116.JPG
IMG_5118.JPG
IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG
IMG_5122.JPG
IMG_5126.JPG
IMG_5123.JPG

Five push mowers and a lawn tractor last weekend. 3.5 HP Briggs Classic, 5 HP Briggs Quantum, 6.5 HP Briggs Quantum, 6.75 Briggs Quantum, Honda GCV 160, and Kohler Courage 20. All received Motomaster (Canadian Tire) Synthetic 10W-30, and Kohler got genuine Kohler oil filter. I'm the guy who people give their old "broken" mowers to. I have two of them ready to go to a new home, and will give another one away soon as well. I like to have two good push mowers in case one of them ever breaks. Yes, I use less expensive oil, but change it often. I'd rather have clean inexpensive oil running through these little engines than dirty oil of any kind. I also bought a jug of Motomaster 5W-30 synthetic to do four snowblowers, hopefully this weekend. 3 are older Tecumseh 8, 9.5, and 11.5 HP engines, the 4th is a 305 cc Briggs. Again, 2 are mine, the other 2 are for family members. I have been using Supertech synthetic for everything the past few years with excellent results, but with travel restrictions these days haven't been able to get to Walmart.

Back