Post your latest small engine oil change

6 month old cheapo push mower, B&S Series 300 engine.

Out: Husqvarna SAE30 that came in the box with the mower. It was only run for 5 hours, as the manual specifies. It was full of glittery bits. Very nasty looking.

In: Delo 15w-40

My Honda EU6500is generator....remnants of Sandy caused me to put 14 hours on it, then I loaned to to a friend who put another 40 hours on it.

A fresh crankcase of Mobil 1 0W-40 has it ready for next time.

6 year old $100 push mower. B&S engine
2 years ago I changed the PYB straight 30 and put in 10w30 QS Syn. I may change it out before I start cutting grass this year.

I hate changing the oil in this mower since you have to flip it over.

Haven't changed the oil but I have a stash of GC and Amsoil SS 5W20 mixed together for an oil change one day. Honda GVC 160, Briggs 7hp power washer and a Troy bilt 4 stroke weed eater.

John Deere JS63C
Briggs Intek
out: PYB 30w
in: PYB 30w

Cleaned prefilter, air filter was fine. New sparkplug, old one was 10 years old but looked new. Greased all fittings, sharpened blade.

1963 Earthbird Tiller
Out: PYB 30w
In: PYB 30w

Gearbox - flush/fill

Troy Bilt Mower
Out: PYB 30w
In: Carquest 30w

Craftsman 20HP Briggs riding mower.

Out: M1 10-30 and Wix filter.

In: M1 10-30 and MC FL-910S

New Ryobi RYi2200 inverter/generator from Home Depot to replace the Kipor I sold to the neighbor who borrowed it post-Sandy. I like having a little gen that will run the basics if our big gen needs downtime, and it makes a nice loaner during emergencies.

Break-in: Honda 10W-30 for ~3 hours under varying load w/ space heater.
Refill: Rotella T5 10W-30 same as the rest of my OPE (except the EU3000is which gets T6)

Break-in oil came out glittery. I also swapped out the factory Torch spark plug for an NGK equivalent, smoothed out the throttle response considerably.

1999 Briggs and Stratton 18.5 HP opposed twin on a machine I was fixing:

Out: black goo that smelled like fuel

In: 1.5 quarts Rotella T 15w40

Back