Post your latest small engine oil change

6.5hp Greyhound engine on an old Ariens tiller.

Out: Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40
In: Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40

Old Craftsman push mower, Eager 1 or something like that.

Out: Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40
In: Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40

2009 Toro mower, Briggs

Out: QS 30w
In: PYB 30w

2004 Ariens, 8hp Tecumseh Snow King

Out: PYB 5w30
In: PYB 5w-30

Poulan riding mower w/ 18h Briggs... 15w-40 John Deere Plus 50

Craftsman rear bagger w/Briggs...15w-40 John Deere Plus 50

Toro walk behind recycler w/Briggs...15w-40 John Deere Plus 50

Poulan riding mower w/500cc 17.5 hp Briggs - FF out 3 seasons, about 30 hrs. Buddy's kids were to have switched out after first season for VWB but obviously did not - came out looking like antisieze paste - sparkly opaque. Oh well. Valvoline Synpower 5W30 in.

Last edited:
Husqvarna(?) 48" Lawn Tractor with 23HP B&S V-Twin
Drained out a 1.5 year old random mix with a Motorcraft FL400S (last of the long ones)
Installed a 25/75 mixture of PU 5W20 and T6 5W40. Should be right under 40 grade. It got a Purolator L20195, too.
Should be good for another couple years.

Last edited:
Lawn boy 4stroke Techumseh
Out-QS Defy 5w-30
In- Maxlife 10w-40

Snapper w/ 3.5hp Briggs
Out- Unknown watery like substance
In- G Oil SAE 30

Just got done with my oil change. I had Supertech 15/40 wt in there for 3 seasons.Never used a drop, but for this change I figured I'd use up some of the partial bottles I had laying around to clean up the garage a little. So what went in was, 1/3 bottle of Valvoline 10/30 wt, 1/3 Rotella t 15/40 wt, and finished the rest off with Valvoline 10/40 wt motorcycle oil.Cleaned the plug original fron '99, started it up ran as good as usual then cut the grass. First cut of the season. Nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass.,,

Have a relatively new, last of the great Techumseh Snow King engines on my snowblower. The blower is an older, 30 inch Craftsman that ain't built any more - more's the pity. It's a great snowblower that my wife's deceased grandfather babied for years. The old engine went in it (tossed a rod out the side of it) & I bought the a/n engine in 11 1/2 HP flavour. Last year afyer the end of the season, I put T6 in it. This year I just finished up the season & changed it to original GC (yup, green stuff circa 2004, I think). Anyway, that's what I did. I imagine T5 would be a good OPE oil. Have lots of green GC so I might stick w/ that for a few seasons...

John.

17 HP Kohler on my Craftsman rider

Out: SAE 30, Don't remember what brand, Motorcraft FL-910S

In: Rotella T6, Pure One PL10241

Changed the oil in the mower and weed whacker yesterday:

Briggs 6.75 flathead, out was Briggs 30wt that the previous owner left for us. In was the rest of that oil plus some, probably 8 or 9 year old Rotella 15w40 I had left over from my Mustang I got rid of in 2005. Bottle was opened but it is clean oil.

Troy Built 4 cycle, out was Briggs 30wt. In was the Rotella 15w40.

All oil was black as dirt coming out.

2004 Murray 22" W/B&S Quantam 6.0

Out: Mobil Special 30W

In: B&S 30W

Also sharpened the blade, new air filter, plug, and fuel stabilizer (tune up in a box). I think this is the last cutting season for this mower as the deck is rusting badly.

2012 Huskee 139 cc ohv Powermore engine. Out Valvoline Nextgen 10w30. In Hydrotex Synthetic HDEO 5w-40.

Last edited:
Toro Timemaster factory fill changed out to M1 10w30 High mileage. Then I proceeded to mow a .39 acre yard in 22 minutes, and dumped the oil again. (i did line trim before mowing, that took about 15 minutes by itself) I can't have left over factory fill mixed with mobil 1! Nothing is too good for this mower.

Changed the oil in the MIL's MTD rider last night. 15.5 HP Tecumseh.

Out: Some cheap SAE 30

In: Maxlife Nextgen 10w40 (from the $1.99 clearance at OReilly's)

Back