Post Your Latest (Motorcycle) Oil Change!

2021 Yamaha Super Tenere. 600 miles with Yamaha filter and Yamalube 10-40 and will be changing same next week at 4000 miles with Yamaha filter and Yamalube as the bike is still in warranty.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700. 16000 miles using a HiFloFiltro oil filter, Shell Rotella 5/15-40 blended, and a Yamaha OEM air filter.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT. 17000 miles using a Yamaha oil filter and Yamalube 10-40 oil.

I use Yamalube oil, Shell Rotell synthetic oil, and Yamaha/Honda/HiFloFiltro oil filters depending on what is on the shelf when my motorcycles are not in warranty. The oil changes are on 4000 mile intervals with a new filter every other oil change unless on a long trip. I plan to ride a 6000 mile trip on the Super Tenere later this summer and will change oil/filter when back.

bike, curious what has you name specifically Yamaha lubricant and filter when it's in warranty? As long as the oil or filter meets the specifications you are good to go. Not that there's a question about the Yamaha lubricant or filter capability. The owner is not obligated to use any manufacturers oil as long as the oil meets the specification, in warranty or otherwise. Since you change the oil brand, it appears, when it's out of warranty, that's somewhat implying you don't feel it's the best oil for the job? Both Shell Rotella oils you mention as a home-blend meet current JASO specs.

If it meets the specifications, why not go with what you prefer versus the Yamaha lube when it's in warranty, and possibly if cost is a consideration, save a few dollars for oil that does the same thing? Not looking to start any major discussion, but just interested in the thoughts behind it.

2020 Kymco Like 150i

Out: Factory fill
In: 0.8 Quarts Rotella T4 15w40

First oil change on my new scooter. Did it at 50 miles. I'll do another at 100, 200, 600 and 1000 miles then likely every 1k after that.

No oil filter, just one of those dumb thimble screens. Magnetic drain plug was a nice surprise from the factory though. I have to think if there is anywhere a magnetic drain plug is handy is in a motor with no real oil filter.

Purchased this 2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 with 5k on it a few months back from an independent dealer. I put about 1k miles on it and decided to change the oil as I wasn't sure what was in it or how long it had been in the machine. Almost wondering if it had the factory fill with the elevated metal content. Hopefully shows less metal on the next go round. Used Castrol Synthetic 10w40 bike oil.

Attachments

• KAWASAKI 1000-220326.jpg
    KAWASAKI 1000-220326.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 37
That fuel looks extremely out of whack. Flashpoint is very low. I gather the engine was fully warmed up after a ride when the oil was changed?

Start of 2022 riding season:

2016 Harley-Davidson FLHTK Ultra Limited 18,105 miles (OCI 3,200mi)

Out: Spectro Heavy Duty Golden Semi-Synthetic 20W-50
Out: Drag Specialties Oil Filter
Out: Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chain case Oil
Out: Harley-Davidson Spark Plugs

In: Spectro Heavy Duty Golden Semi-Synthetic 20W-50
In: Drag Specialties Oil Filter
In: Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chain case Oil
In: Harley-Davidson Spark Plugs

Next week Independent Dealer shop will drain, flush, refill radiator coolant. 1st change since new in 2016.

Hello Group!

I own a Benelli Trk502X 2020 model, 500cc twin (~48HP,~45Nm). The manual recommends 10W50 (or 15/50W) oil. After the purchase early February, I changed the oil immediately before reading the manual (odometer reading 3500km at the time, probably with 10w50 from new), I changed the oil to Shell Ultra Advance 10w40 and I was pleased with the responsiveness to rollgas and generally riding impressions. I did not even think that a in-line twin might require different (usually in enduro single I used to use 15/50W). After another 2,500km, I replaced it with the recommended parameters one - Shell Ultra Advance 15w50 - and it was much worse - i.e. the reaction to gas was noticeably slower and the vibration on the footpads increased and the felling of braking torque increased after releasing the rollgas. It was slightly felt that the engine was getting tired on this oil. I did read briefly about viscosity (at 40 &100 C degrees) and went back to the Motorex 10w40 Top Speed though and now the feeling of the engine is nice again.

The question is:
If by changing the oil more often than maintenance period , without riding much in hot weather, can I stay with 10w40 oil, despite the recommendations in the manual. Does good 10w40 oil still give far enough protection for this engine (no sport usage, no extreme heat everyday etc.)?

Are they (Benelli) not recommending the 10w50 only for not being sure of the quality of the engines from the Chinese manufacturer, where normally such low- or mid-power in-line twins should be 10w40 and they treat 10w50 oil as an alibi only to increase the life of the engine and have peace of mind? Or it is too much of a conspiracy in this idea and I should go back to 10w50 viscosity ranges (maybe hit 10w50 one but with the lowest viscosity available on the market).

Thanks,
Tomek

Last edited:
That fuel looks extremely out of whack. Flashpoint is very low. I gather the engine was fully warmed up after a ride when the oil was changed?
Engine was still warm, although I did let it cool off for a few min so the exhaust wasn't as scalding by the oil filter.

Main thing being was the engine fully warmed up, as in gone for a decent length ride to where the oil would scald you when you change it. Then parked without idling for any length of time before the oil change.

My question would be if the bike was fully warm and up to operating temperature for a decent amount of time before the oil change, what's up with the fuel percent and the flashpoint being where they are. Even forget the fuel percent since guys have experienced Blackstone isn't necessarily accurate in that measurement with their methodology of testing. But flashpoint is kind of hard to screw up.

bike, curious what has you name specifically Yamaha lubricant and filter when it's in warranty? As long as the oil or filter meets the specifications you are good to go. Not that there's a question about the Yamaha lubricant or filter capability. The owner is not obligated to use any manufacturers oil as long as the oil meets the specification, in warranty or otherwise. Since you change the oil brand, it appears, when it's out of warranty, that's somewhat implying you don't feel it's the best oil for the job? Both Shell Rotella oils you mention as a home-blend meet current JASO specs.

If it meets the specifications, why not go with what you prefer versus the Yamaha lube when it's in warranty, and possibly if cost is a consideration, save a few dollars for oil that does the same thing? Not looking to start any major discussion, but just interested in the thoughts behind it.
I have never had a warranty issue related to oil or oil filters but merely run factory oil and filters when under warranty. I do my own maintenance and keep all receipts. I just think this process would eliminate questions or possible denial of a warranty claim if one would occur. Yamalube filters and conventional 10-40 Yamalube are priced decently plus I’ve had discounts applied.

I usually post these oils and chain lube as the best in oil threads👍
CCFB5368-C9D6-43EB-87E7-0D49C5CCE590.jpeg
1B30C505-C8A8-4EB5-89F5-7D75A389430E.jpeg

I have never had a warranty issue related to oil or oil filters but merely run factory oil and filters when under warranty. I do my own maintenance and keep all receipts. I just think this process would eliminate questions or possible denial of a warranty claim if one would occur. Yamalube filters and conventional 10-40 Yamalube is priced decently plus I’ve had discounts applied.

I usually post these oils and chain lube as the best in oil threads👍
View attachment 96531View attachment 96532
Now that right there is funny with respect to the pics. And good peace of mind for you on your choices. 👍

I just think this process would eliminate questions or possible denial of a warranty claim if one would occur. 👍
Talk to a lawer and they will convince you its impossible to prove one oil versus another beyond a resonable doubt... in other words you're safe from warranty denial...

It is a Yamaha👍 and should be good to go on Yamaha filters and oil for the one year warranty timeframe. I prefer to avoid the legal system whenever possible. I‘ve been riding 51 years on 85+ new/used motorcycles and have not had a legal problem pertaining to motorcycles yet. But, you never know.

You will not deal with the legal system, if you show receipts for an oil that meets the specifications you're standing firmly on both feet. I understand the redundancy on your part, however it's not of any value with respect to what the law says. If it meets the specs and you can show it, you are good. You will never lose that argument.

It is a Yamaha👍 and should be good to go on Yamaha filters and oil for the one year warranty timeframe. I prefer to avoid the legal system whenever possible. I‘ve been riding 51 years on 85+ new/used motorcycles and have not had a legal problem pertaining to motorcycles yet. But, you never know.
You are correct, but for me, its another reason = Yamaha filters and oil is just as good and better as any others, so if it makes you feel better there certainly is nothing wrong with that.

I use Harley Primary and Transmission oil in my bike for the same reason and it hasn't been in warranty for quite some time.
No other oil has been proven to me to be any better. Now going on 8 years since I bought it in 2014 new. Never has never a repair yet (gulp!) I hate saying that! *LOL*
So why would I use something else? Because a forum someplace says too? Because of some fancy marketing from some other oil company?
My bike runs freaking awesome. Actually wife and I was just out on it Easter Sunday, EVERY time I ride it, even more so coming out of the winter, I forget how freaking perfect it runs, like new.

Last edited:
1994 Goldwing, 96,984 miles on the bike.
4,054 miles/almost 2 months on oil.

Out: Supertech 15w40 and a Fram PH7317 (with orange ADV)
In: Supertech 15w40 and a Fram PH7317 (with orange ADV)

2022-04-26 09.03.04.jpg

2022-04-26 09.03.14.jpg

I will be running this till I hit 100,000 miles, and plan on using Mobil 1 10w-40 HM with a Wix Platinum on a 5,000 mile interval.

I also changed the plugs today. No idea when they were done last, but I have put 16,000 miles on the bike since I got it almost 2 years ago.
Being copper plugs, figured it was time.
2022-04-26 13.33.26.jpg

Plugs really don't look that bad (front left looks a little wet though), probably could have gotten away with just cleaning and re-gapping them (they were all 0.031 except for one that was 0.035). I put the same back in (NGK DPR7EA-9) and gapped them all to 0.034 (manual says 0.031 to 0.035, and I like running on the wide side for plug gap).

Last edited:
2020 Kymco Like 150i

Out: Rotella T4
In: Rotella T4 (26oz)

Also did the gear oil for the first time as I just hit 200 miles on it. Valvoline 75w90 instead of the recommended straight 90w.

Back