Possible Return of the Xterra?

Man. I hope so.

I hope they have some people who have the foresight to realize that ICE vehicles aren’t going anywhere any time soon, and that there are still millions upon millions of them to be sold.

Especially among the enthusiast demographic that would be interested in a new Xterra.

Tell ya what - Nissan has done crazier things - like the 2-dr convertible Murano.

And fun things - like stuffing the 5.6L, 310-HP/388 lb/ft. V8 from the Titan into the old 2008-2012 Pathfinder!

Man. I hope so.

I hope they have some people who have the foresight to realize that ICE vehicles aren’t going anywhere any time soon, and that there are still millions upon millions of them to be sold.

Especially among the enthusiast demographic that would be interested in a new Xterra.

Tell ya what - Nissan has done crazier things - like the 2-dr convertible Murano.

And fun things - like stuffing the 5.6L, 310-HP/388 lb/ft. V8 from the Titan into the old 2008-2012 Pathfinder!

Wow! I had to google that. 0-60 in 5.74 seconds. This is kindof "ok, whatever bro".
What REALLY caught my eye was the 2.93 second 50-70 time. That is legit stoopid fast. It must be the perfect marriage between gearing and powerband at that exact speed, because the 2016 BMW M3 with DCT manages it only 0.13 seconds quicker. It's legit wild! I almost wonder if it's a typo and they meant 3.93 seconds, because that is much more in line with the 0-60 time. However, they typed it twice, so I don't know. The ML63 AMG they reference does it in 3.2 seconds, with a 0-60 of 4.2 seconds. I have to think this is a typo, given that and other data, further exposed by the wording of "only slowing that time to 4.05..." which would make a lot more sense going from 3.93 to 4.05 instead of adding nearly 30% to it.

Performance is almost unbelievable, with a 0-60 mph time of a world class 5.74 seconds, making it the quickest SUV on the planet save maybe the $95,000, 450 hp Porsche Turbo Cayenne or the $87,000, 503 hp Mercedes ML63 AMG, both of which have not been tested by the Road Beat. Passing performance is equally up to the task, with a 50-70 mph run taking just 2.93 seconds and the same run up a steep grade only slowing that time to 4.05 seconds, also new records for an SUV tested by the Road Beat.
If I had known this existed, I would have totally bought one instead of the 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee 2010 I bought instead back in 2014.

Most of these vehicles hyped as "return," are nothing more than the name returning. Ford and GM have done this recently, with the Blazer and Bronco names.

Most of these vehicles hyped as "return," are nothing more than the name returning. Ford and GM have done this recently, with the Blazer and Bronco names.
To be fair, I wouldn't compare the Blazer to the Bronco. Ford is at least trying, and in my opinion, succeeding, to capture the heritage of the Bronco in the newest rendition. GM didn't even try with the Blazer. It was a shameless cash grab on the nameplate.

As the owner of a nice 2002 Xterra I'd be interested in a new version, maybe. Something true to the original on the new Frontier drivetrain that's not filled with electronic nanny crap, or at least a basic version that's actually available. We can RosieO about what happened to the Blazer (although the small Blazer wasn't exactly great) and others but the car companies make what will sell, not what a small percentage want. Jeep sells a ton of Wranglers but it's a perceived lifestyle thing and few of them ever get dirt on the tires, Xterra never had the following Wrangler does and think about the rep Nissan has here generally, mostly not favorable. It would be a risk for Nissan. My Xterra doesn't see much offroad now but it did. Our plan is to see how far this X will go before it starts to nickel and dime then look for the best 2015 we can find.

I casually know a guy who worked for Nissan in California for years and retired here. I don't know what he did but he's a car guy and bought a 2015 X just before he retired and really knows them. Next time I come across him at the trailhead I'll see if he knows anything about a new X.

And FWIW calling the 3.3 motor a dog is a terrible insult to the dog. :poop:

To be fair, I wouldn't compare the Blazer to the Bronco. Ford is at least trying, and in my opinion, succeeding, to capture the heritage of the Bronco in the newest rendition. GM didn't even try with the Blazer. It was a shameless cash grab on the nameplate.
Agreed. GM really killed the name of the Blazer. Ford made a decent attempt.

The only thing that Ford really missed the boat on was that front suspension. Steering racks have no business on an offroad vehicle. Independent suspension isn't great, but steering racks just do not hold up to offroad abuse at all.

Steering racks have no business on an offroad vehicle. Independent suspension isn't great, but steering racks just do not hold up to offroad abuse at all.

The question is how many of these Broncos will see off road abuse, less than 1%? Someone somewhere already has a solid axle conversion figured out I'll bet if you want to abuse one.

Wow! I had to google that. 0-60 in 5.74 seconds. This is kindof "ok, whatever bro".
What REALLY caught my eye was the 2.93 second 50-70 time. That is legit stoopid fast. It must be the perfect marriage between gearing and powerband at that exact speed, because the 2016 BMW M3 with DCT manages it only 0.13 seconds quicker. It's legit wild! I almost wonder if it's a typo and they meant 3.93 seconds, because that is much more in line with the 0-60 time. However, they typed it twice, so I don't know. The ML63 AMG they reference does it in 3.2 seconds, with a 0-60 of 4.2 seconds. I have to think this is a typo, given that and other data, further exposed by the wording of "only slowing that time to 4.05..." which would make a lot more sense going from 3.93 to 4.05 instead of adding nearly 30% to it.

If I had known this existed, I would have totally bought one instead of the 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee 2010 I bought instead back in 2014.
Misprint or no, that 5.6L is a hoss of an engine in that Pathfinder!

If you’re willing to call the Tacoma with a cap an SUV (a stretch, but not far from the original gen 1 4 Runner) then, yep, there is still a manual option with the 4.0.
Wish they offered a 6-speed manual in the Tacoma crew cab long bed.

As the owner of a nice 2002 Xterra I'd be interested in a new version, maybe. Something true to the original on the new Frontier drivetrain that's not filled with electronic nanny crap, or at least a basic version that's actually available. We can RosieO about what happened to the Blazer (although the small Blazer wasn't exactly great) and others but the car companies make what will sell, not what a small percentage want. Jeep sells a ton of Wranglers but it's a perceived lifestyle thing and few of them ever get dirt on the tires, Xterra never had the following Wrangler does and think about the rep Nissan has here generally, mostly not favorable. It would be a risk for Nissan. My Xterra doesn't see much offroad now but it did. Our plan is to see how far this X will go before it starts to nickel and dime then look for the best 2015 we can find.

I casually know a guy who worked for Nissan in California for years and retired here. I don't know what he did but he's a car guy and bought a 2015 X just before he retired and really knows them. Next time I come across him at the trailhead I'll see if he knows anything about a new X.

And FWIW calling the 3.3 motor a dog is a terrible insult to the dog. :poop:
When you say “the rep Nissan has here”, do you mean in the USA, or on BITOG?

If you mean here on BITOG, I think you have to differentiate between the trucks and the cars. Nissan’s trucks, and higher-end cars, I think, have been pretty good.

I think a lot of the rep they have here on this forum is probably a result of some of their lower-end products, and, especially, issues that some have had with their CVTs.

The guys I’ve known who have had Titans have absolutely loved them and had no problems with them. And I think that’s been reflected here on BITOG, as well. One member who comes to mind is @UncleDave. I’m sure you’ve read a lot of his posts about all the towing he’s done with his.

And, as much as the current-Gen Pathfinder being turned into a FWD CUV makes me want to hold my nose, my sister and BIL had a 2014 for 6 years and the powertrain was trouble-free. The only thing I can remember going wrong with that car in 6 years was the driver’s side door interior handle breaking.

Anyway, I think automakers have always had to build vehicles with fairly narrow appeal in order to generate attention. E.g. the new Z car and the new Supra.

And the FJ Cruiser.

And the new Bronco.

A new Xterra could be a legit alternative, not only, to the 4Runner and Jeep, but also to the new Bronco.

The only thing that Ford really missed the boat on was that front suspension. Steering racks have no business on an offroad vehicle. Independent suspension isn't great, but steering racks just do not hold up to offroad abuse at all.

I drove my 3rd gen 4Runner on 4wd trails for 22 years. No problems with the steering rack at all.

OTOH, I replaced a lot of steering racks on GM and Ford front drive cars from the 80's to early 90's, back in my consumer car repair days. They didn't do anything more strenuous, than driving around on paved roads.

When you say “the rep Nissan has here”, do you mean in the USA, or on BITOG?

If you mean here on BITOG, I think you have to differentiate between the trucks and the cars. Nissan’s trucks, and higher-end cars, I think, have been pretty good.

The old Frontier was getting hammered here endlessly because it was dated old tech, terrible turning radius, terrible gas mileage, and on and on. Grouchy old Luddites liked it but younger guys not so much.

And with the constant gripe about bad Nissan quality in general and ***** styling and Nissan about to go under any moment a brand new Frontier is going to be looked at skeptically by many until it proves itself in 6 or 8 years.

But I'm with you and hope they make a new Xterra the right way.

Enterprise provided me with an XTerra when my 3-month-old '02 Altima ended up with an extended stay in Nissan's service department. Gotta say I loved it, soft springs and all. It squatted noticeably on brisk acceleration from stoplights, which felt nostalgic in a way. The last vehicle I'd been in that did that was a 1982 280ZX. It absorbed potholes and generally bad pavement like it was built for it. It felt truly tough, for some reason. Probably the only rental car in my history that I didn't want to give back. It was a blast for the 2 weeks I had it.

These days, it would probably be ruined by making it FWD and a mom-mobile, like GM did with the Blazer and Trailblazer. I’m still sour about that if you can’t tell.
God I hope they don't ruin the Xterra by making it a mom-mobile. The old ones were so sweet!! I'm right there with you Nick on the mom-mobile rugrat haulers.

Back