2019 Ram 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAR

Hey everyone:

I've been lurking here on BITOG for a while now, not really having much to add to the discussions that someone else already knew.. I do pick up a lot of info from all contributors, but never felt the need to post.

But - on Saturday, I went to buy out the lease I had on my 2016 Ford Explorer Sport (3.5L V6 EcoBoost) in Ruby Red. The Ford dealer in Bloomington, MN (locals can figure out which one that is) was told beforehand I was coming with a payoff check from my credit union, but with a note that I would also be interested in an F150 since I needed something that was more suited to towing. While the Explorer CAN tow, I feel more confident towing with a truck vs. a unibody FWD-based SUV..

The dealer didn't seem to interested in selling me on an F150; going through the motions and such. The one I saw was a Courtesy Vehicle they were retiring, and the price ($39k) wasn't that attractive. It was a nice ride, equipped with the EcoBoost 3.5 and 10-speed auto, but there was a lot it didn't have in the way of luxuries that I would miss from the Explorer. And, the reply I got for taking my Explorer was "we'd have a hard time turning that over". Being a Ford dealer selling a Ford, it seemed a little odd. I told him if he could do something, call me as I was in town for a few more hours. And, that I was going to see the new Ram 1500 to comparison shop.

I ended up at the Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram store in Hopkins, and found exactly what I'd want: the 1500 Big Horn with push button start, LED lighting package, heated seats/steering wheel, Apple CarPlay, etc., etc.. And, with the offer they made on the Explorer I just paid off, and other incentives, I got my lease payment cut nearly in half. So I made the deal, and I'm pleased with the deal.

The Ram 1500 rides like my old Escalades from years ago (I had a 2006 and 2008), and I get nods of approval (from Dodge Ram owners mainly) when I take it into town. I had a guy who was shopping for a new truck ask me about it at the gas station yesterday afternoon.

Long story, but I never did hear back from the Ford guy...

PICS:

1st is of the Explorer I traded in Saturday..

[Linked Image]

2nd is of my current fleet:

[Linked Image]

my 08 Dodge Ram, the new 19 Ram, and in the background my 2011 Dodge Charge Police and a 2010 Crown Vic I'm fixing up to sell.

Thanks for reading!

Randy
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L 4x4
2011 Dodge Charge Police 5.7L RWD
2010 Ford Crown Victoria PI 4.6L

Last edited:
Nice choice in PU's. I'd take a Ram over any of the current Ford or GM PU offerings.

Thanks everyone! I drove it home 200 miles (I don't buy local here in Northern MN; I've been ignored far too often to throw them my business nowadays), and it was a pleasant trip home. I like the color, even if black is hard to keep clean. The old Dodge Ram will do the dirty jobs, while I use this for towing and such. A BedRug and tonneau cover are in the future..

Nice trucks for sure. My Son In-law just bought one and I helped him pick it up. Drove it a little getting it home from the dealer. I was impressed.
It was loaded with everything and was like driving a luxury car. I told him that I didn't want to drive it anymore as I was falling in love with it.

Nice!
I wouldn't mind a two door Ram 1500, but much like the JKs I've been looking at, most two doors are not equipped with many options.

Black paint doesn't have to be a pain to keep clean but you will want to clean it with touchless washes if you use the automatic type or you will start to see swirl marks. Also putting on a tough durable Sealant type product once a year will keep the water beading off and keep dirt adherence to a minimum so that in most cases just a quick wash/rinse is all you will need in between sealant applications.

I drive a ton of miles for work and keeping a clean vehicle for appearances to customers is a must for me so I have played with various ways of achieving that with minimal cost. It leaves my paint like factory new even hundreds of thousands of miles later.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Inked
Congrats on the new truck! Ford salesman sounds like an idiot.

He was. When I worked at a dealer I always asked the person turning in a lease if they were interested in a new vehicle. If they were interested I would do everything in my power to find the vehicle that they wanted.

I cannot understand how a Ford dealer wouldn't want to sell you a truck. I never understand these stories. I get bombarded when I look at vehicles. I took my fathers VW in the shop a few years ago when I was 15, and I was looking around the dealership. They kept bombarding me. I clearly didn't have a dime to my name at the time.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I cannot understand how a Ford dealer wouldn't want to sell you a truck. I never understand these stories. I get bombarded when I look at vehicles. I took my fathers VW in the shop a few years ago when I was 15, and I was looking around the dealership. They kept bombarding me. I clearly didn't have a dime to my name at the time.

Back in 2007 I wanted a new GTI- but I wanted it optioned in a particular way. The local VW dealer acted like custom ordering a car had a difficulty level akin to achieving cold fusion. The salesman knew I wouldn't buy off the lot and just shrugged his shoulders. I wound up buying a Mazdaspeed 3 from a salesperson who actually wanted my business.

Originally Posted by MCompact

Back in 2007 I wanted a new GTI- but I wanted it optioned in a particular way. The local VW dealer acted like custom ordering a car had a difficulty level akin to achieving cold fusion. The salesman knew I wouldn't buy off the lot and just shrugged his shoulders. I wound up buying a Mazdaspeed 3 from a salesperson who actually wanted my business.

I don't know if its true or not, but I have heard VW makes it VERY hard to have a custom VW made. Sales person probably didn't want to deal with the hassle.
lol.gif

My dad actually went in to a different VW dealer when I was buying mine, and they [censored] him off. He said they barely acknowledged him. Then when they did, over priced the car by 5k and pretty much said it was as low as they would go. Didn't budge more than a couple hundred dollars of MSRP. Safe to say we didn't buy a car from them, nor ever step back on that lot.
No matter what car brand I was buying, I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have the options/colors I want.

I don't know if its true or not, but I have heard VW makes it VERY hard to have a custom VW made. Sales person probably didn't want to deal with the hassle.
lol.gif

My dad actually went in to a different VW dealer when I was buying mine, and they [censored] him off. He said they barely acknowledged him. Then when they did, over priced the car by 5k and pretty much said it was as low as they would go. Didn't budge more than a couple hundred dollars of MSRP. Safe to say we didn't buy a car from them, nor ever step back on that lot.
No matter what car brand I was buying, I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have the options/colors I want.

I think that it is definitely true now; in 2007 I posted on VW Vortex about ordering and several salespeople claimed that they could order one easily and set up a "Courtesy Delivery" at my local dealer. I figured that would go over like a lead balloon and I would pay for it when I needed service or warranty work.

Originally Posted by MCompact

I think that it is definitely true now; in 2007 I posted on VW Vortex about ordering and several salespeople claimed that they could order one easily and set up a "Courtesy Delivery" at my local dealer. I figured that would go over like a lead balloon and I would pay for it when I needed service or warranty work.

[Linked Image]

I couldn't imagine their faces!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back