Possible Return of the Xterra?

I, for one, would love to see it.

E15E85EA-91A9-4EFC-99C5-BB6DC3BD8C59.jpeg
The conventional wisdom says that the Nissan Xterra (2000-2015) was outdated - a traditional, truck-based, body-on-frame (BOF), rear-wheel-drive (RWD) SUV - and that its poor fuel economy (16-18 MPG) compared to something like a Rogue (a FWD, unibody crossover-SUV), as well as its non-carlike ride, killed its appeal.

While that may be partially true, and some people just want a 4-cylinder appliance, there are others out there who want something with a bit more character, personality, and capability.

I think the arrival of the all-new Nissan Frontier gives Nissan the opportunity to bring back a really good truck-based, BOF, RWD, 4x4 (or 4x2) traditional 5 or 7-passenger SUV.

The new Frontier has what seems to be an awesome new powertrain and platform. Perfect for a “New Xterra”.

This “New Xterra” would eventually be able to take a large bite out of 4Runner and Jeep sales.

I think a lot of people are already tired of all the FWD, egg-shaped, CUVs, even though the phenomenon really has only been around for less than 15 years or so.

I believe there‘s an appetite for more vehicles with aggressive, squared-off styling, and sharp lines - like the old Xterra and previous-gen Pathfinder.

And one of the best parts is that it wouldn’t have a CVT! This new 9-speed Jatco unit, by all accounts, is pretty much the same auto trans that’s used in the Titan and Armada and the big Infiniti QX, but maybe just downsized a bit for the Frontier.

What do you guys think? Have you owned an Xterra or a previous-gen Pathfinder? How did you like it?

Would you buy a “new Xterra“ with the new 3.8/9-speed Jatco?

Review of one of the last Xterras (Pro 4X with 4WD/locking rear differential/factory 1” lift, 4.0L, 260-HP V6, 5-speed auto (6-speed manual was available):

Article proposing a return of a “new Xterra”:

I kind of like the Xterra, though I always thought the stepped roof looked odd.

My favorite Nissan SUV hands down is the 96-04 Pathfinder/QX4/Terrano. That was a good looking and fairly capable SUV. I particularly like the QX4s.

I kind of like the Xterra, though I always thought the stepped roof looked odd.

My favorite Nissan SUV hands down is the 96-04 Pathfinder/QX4/Terrano. That was a good looking and fairly capable SUV. I particularly like the QX4s.

I always liked the QX4, too.

I never saw one that was maintained well.. they all seemed to fade very quickly and then were owned by people who couldn't afford to keep them at least half decent looking.

The one cool thing about them is they came with a supercharger option.

Indeed! A supercharged/manual transmission combo would be fantastic, but I'm one of those people that want the unpopular feature combination (manual, diesel-engined wagon, for example) on the depreciated used market. It would hardly be worth considering my opinion when it comes to new car sales, particularly in the first year or two of a new model.

The Xterra was one of the few Nissans I actually liked. Especially the manual ones. Though working on them kinda sucks had to put an engine in one last year and it took forever to get everything out and out of the way to take the engine out.

These days, it would probably be ruined by making it FWD and a mom-mobile, like GM did with the Blazer and Trailblazer. I’m still sour about that if you can’t tell.
Well, the main point of my post is that Nissan already has 3 FWD CVT CUVs - the Pathfinder, Murano, and Rogue.

Wouldn’t be possible to make a FWD CUV out of the new Frontier platform. It would necessarily be BOF/RWD, with the 9-speed auto.

Which is what would make it appealing, particularly, to a certain kind of automotive enthusiast - those of us who are looking for characteristics in a vehicle that can only be offered by a BOF/RWD “non-CVT” truck.

I get what you’re saying, though. I was highly disappointed when Nissan decided to kill the old BOF/RWD Pathfinder and replace it with that new FWD, CVT-motivated egg on wheels.

I never saw one that was maintained well.. they all seemed to fade very quickly and then were owned by people who couldn't afford to keep them at least half decent looking.

Meh, that supercharged 3.3L V6, as I remember, only had 210 HP.

The latest 4.0 NA V6 has 260 HP.

Meh, that supercharged 3.3L V6, as I remember, only had 210 HP.

The latest 4.0 NA V6 has 260 HP.

The supercharger turned a weak engine into a mildly peppy engine. It was certainly no powerhouse, as most reviews of the time noted.

Regarding a new Xterra: More competition is good.

The supercharger turned a weak engine into a mildly peppy engine. It was certainly no powerhouse, as most reviews of the time noted.

Regarding a new Xterra: More competition is good.
Yeah, I believe that 3.3 was around 170 HP sans supercharger.

My grandparents had a ‘90 Nissan Hardbody extended cab “SE-V6” with that engine.

Great truck. Simple. Quality.

Made right here in Tennessee.

Yeah, I believe that 3.3 was around 170 HP sans supercharger.

My grandparents had a ‘90 Nissan Hardbody extended cab “SE-V6” with that engine.

Great truck. Simple. Quality.

Made right here in Tennessee.

1990 would've been the 3.0 VG30E. 153 hp. A good compact truck of that time.

I had a Toyota SR5 Xtra-cab Hilux 4wd back then.

1990 would've been the 3.0 VG30E. 153 hp. A good compact truck of that time.

I had a Toyota SR5 Xtra-cab Hilux 4wd back then.
Oh, right. They went to the 3.3 at some point.

I do remember that Nissan blowing a head gasket once while my mom was driving it. I wasn’t with her, and don’t know the details, but I certainly remember it being a heck of a surprise (and an expensive repair bill for my dad). Wish I knew what the problem was.

Man, I bet that Hilux was a great, and good-looking truck.

Any photos of it?

I have photographic prints of it. Nothing scanned on to a computer. Mine was a '93.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like, except I had front vent wing windows, and later a LEER top, with side windows that resembled the windows in a 2nd gen 2dr 4Runner.

It was a good truck.

1994_Toyota_4WD_XtraCab_SR5-1500x945.jpg

Would be a great idea- as I liked the old one. :cool: I think the biggest question for them is: can they afford it? They are bleeding money,and it sounds like the focus will be on EV.

My hope is that they do it, and make an EV version as well......

I have photographic prints of it. Nothing scanned on to a computer. Mine was a '93.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like, except I had front vent wing windows, and later a LEER top, with side windows that resembled the windows in a 2nd gen 2dr 4Runner.

It was a good truck.

1994_Toyota_4WD_XtraCab_SR5-1500x945.jpg
Love that.

The looks of that generation of Toyota pickup and 4Runner are my favorite.

I even like the tape graphics!

Would be a great idea- as I liked the old one. :cool: I think the biggest question for them is: can they afford it? They are bleeding money,and it sounds like the focus will be on EV.

My hope is that they do it, and make an EV version as well......
Man. I hope so.

I hope they have some people who have the foresight to realize that ICE vehicles aren’t going anywhere any time soon, and that there are still millions upon millions of them to be sold.

Especially among the enthusiast demographic that would be interested in a new Xterra.

Tell ya what - Nissan has done crazier things - like the 2-dr convertible Murano.

And fun things - like stuffing the 5.6L, 310-HP/388 lb/ft. V8 from the Titan into the old 2008-2012 Pathfinder!

I’ve always liked them. A 4 cyl option would be nice, but I’m betting it’ll be there new V6. Sometime like 310 hp. I’m impressed with it.

AFAIK, there’s no manuals sadly.

We had a 2005 Xterra purchased new. It was rock solid for the ten years we owned. Except for tires, it never saw the inside of a dealer or auto repair shop. I as able to take care of all the maintenance. The person who bought it, once it was advertised for sale, drove five hours with his wife and FIL to look at it and buy it without negotiating one penny off the price.

I’ve always liked them. A 4 cyl option would be nice, but I’m betting it’ll be there new V6. Sometime like 310 hp. I’m impressed with it.

AFAIK, there’s no manuals sadly.
If you’re willing to call the Tacoma with a cap an SUV (a stretch, but not far from the original gen 1 4 Runner) then, yep, there is still a manual option with the 4.0.

Back