Possible Return of the Xterra?

When you say “the rep Nissan has here”, do you mean in the USA, or on BITOG?

If you mean here on BITOG, I think you have to differentiate between the trucks and the cars. Nissan’s trucks, and higher-end cars, I think, have been pretty good.

I think a lot of the rep they have here on this forum is probably a result of some of their lower-end products, and, especially, issues that some have had with their CVTs.

The guys I’ve known who have had Titans have absolutely loved them and had no problems with them. And I think that’s been reflected here on BITOG, as well. One member who comes to mind is @UncleDave. I’m sure you’ve read a lot of his posts about all the towing he’s done with his.

And, as much as the current-Gen Pathfinder being turned into a FWD CUV makes me want to hold my nose, my sister and BIL had a 2014 for 6 years and the powertrain was trouble-free. The only thing I can remember going wrong with that car in 6 years was the driver’s side door interior handle breaking.

Anyway, I think automakers have always had to build vehicles with fairly narrow appeal in order to generate attention. E.g. the new Z car and the new Supra.

And the FJ Cruiser.

And the new Bronco.

A new Xterra could be a legit alternative, not only, to the 4Runner and Jeep, but also to the new Bronco.
Nissan is still my favorite car company. I keep trying to talk myself into getting a 370Z.

Misprint or no, that 5.6L is a hoss of an engine in that Pathfinder!
If it's a misprint, it's doing about what my 4 cylinder Mazda suv does while I'm getting almost twice the mpg. If it legit did that, then it is indeed next level. If you're bent on the small suv and v8 formula, the TBSS, and JGC with 5.7 and 6.1, and the VW "tbss" all did it with much meaner engines and in some cases lighter bodies.

Last edited:
Nissan is still my favorite car company. I keep trying to talk myself into getting a 370Z.
I had one. Meh. Get a mustang or camaro or something. Maybe the new model wrx when it drops. The 370z was just a bag of meh.

Grinding transmission
Lack of rebound control in an otherwise decent suspension
Lacks 100whp to compete with modern same price competitors in its segment.
12 years old, now
Visibility is pretty bad. Legit have to rely on mirrors.
Fuel economy vs performance is pretty low average.

The good:
Stiff body structure
Looks sexy, I got a ton of compliments form all demographics.
Pretty quick for a v6 na
Super easy to get another 20whp over stock out of
One of the few vehicles that is completely Japanese.

I have 2 2018 Nissan’s an Armada and a Titan. The Titan required a new engine at 10k miles and the Armada at 50k, the pistons were engineered wrong and ruined the blocks, pretty much all 5.6’s 2016-2019 are effected by this. The Armada has hands down been the worst car we’ve ever owned, thank god we got the extended lifetime bumper to bumper warranty as it has had close to $20k worth of repairs, granted the new engine was like $12k. The ecu has been replaced, the complete radar system has been replaced, still malfunctioning, the air suspension malfunctioned, then it would randomly not start. They had no idea what caused it but since I read on a forum that it could be the brake switch and cruise brake switch, I made them replace both on their dime. (After much complaining) But besides that we love it, lol. There’s other problems too but after being stranded in-20f weather they seem minor. Besides the Titan needing a new engine, it’s Been great.

They did all this under warranty. the armada has been in the shop for over 40 days combined in the last year. The service department has been really good to us but I sense they are trying to find a way to get out of further repairs.

Last edited:
I love my X!!!! Built like a brick @#$% house...I pray they keep it as stout as the original.

1613597586009.jpg

2022 Mitsu Outlander. Joint venture from Mitsubishi & Nissan! Not an X though.
2022OutlanderMitsu.jpg

Attachments

• 2022OutlanderMitsu.jpg
    2022OutlanderMitsu.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 5
I’ve got a healthy respect for the X. I wheeled a little in a 97 pathfinder, and while the driveline was great off-road, the frame and chassis was totally a passenger car. The frame rails were quite thin, and small rocks or even ice tore them up too easily. i never drove an X off-road, but helped work on a couple and they seemed to me to be better suited for rough play. That same driveline in the shorter wheelbase was FUN. they were good vehicles. I don’t know about now (no experience), but Nissan used to know how to build a truck. And going back to the 80s and 90s, they did good with some of their cars too but kind of lost some direction along the way. They couldn’t find a good path, squeezed by Toyota, honda, and mazda, there was much room left in the market for them to find a differentiating identity.

and maybe that’s not just in the 90s. maybe they’ve always struggled in the market. The legend I was told was that they had a mixup choosing the branding when they first started selling in the US. they had production increasing and dealer networks being launched and had yet to choose the stateside brand name. pressed as to when they had to choose the name by, they were surprised and replied, “dat soon?” ... and hence became Datsun. Harhar.

m

Back