Possible Installation of Strut Tower Bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I guy I know in the midwest has a nice, hardly used, strut tower bar available that'll fit my 2011 Camry. Price is very good compared to new, and it's something I've been vaguely interested in trying. At the offered price, my interest has been heightened.

Will using the bar make the ride stiffer, or does use of the bar just improve corning stability and roll?

I guy I know in the midwest has a nice, hardly used, strut tower bar available that'll fit my 2011 Camry. Price is very good compared to new, and it's something I've been vaguely interested in trying. At the offered price, my interest has been heightened.

Will using the bar make the ride stiffer, or does use of the bar just improve corning stability and roll?
hey shel! No it doesn't make the ride "Stiffer" it stiffens up the chassis. For example, on my 96 Civic when I'd be on the highway and come up behind a semi-trailer, the front end would end up "dancing" left and right. Very odd. I installed a front strut tower brace/bar and bam! No more dancing. Didn't know the Civic's chassis was a wet noodle, lol. It was being affected by the wind aerodynamics setting up a resonance that the chassis was reacting to.

I also have a front strut bar on my Scion tC, it makes the steering and suspension feel more "planted", stable is the other word I'd use to describe it. I know that back in the day the tC owners without a strut tower bar complained of the squeeks and rattles the sunroof would give but we who had the front strut bar, it never flexed like that!

My advice, get the bar, you'll see it's not as noticeable as new sway bars but you'll see that everything (the chassis) is just more calm, complete. Hope that helps..

hey shel! No it doesn't make the ride "Stiffer" it stiffens up the chassis. For example, on my 96 Civic when I'd be on the highway and come up behind a semi-trailer, the front end would end up "dancing" left and right. Very odd. I installed a front strut tower brace/bar and bam! No more dancing. Didn't know the Civic's chassis was a wet noodle, lol. It was being affected by the wind aerodynamics setting up a resonance that the chassis was reacting to.

I also have a front strut bar on my Scion tC, it makes the steering and suspension feel more "planted", stable is the other word I'd use to describe it. I know that back in the day the tC owners without a strut tower bar complained of the squeeks and rattles the sunroof would give but we who had the front strut bar, it never flexed like that!

My advice, get the bar, you'll see it's not as noticeable as new sway bars but you'll see that everything (the chassis) is just more calm, complete. Hope that helps..
That sounds like what I want. Thanks so much for your help and response.

Shel, you have some 'interesting' ideas. What kind of gains do you expect?

Neither nor.

My advice is to spend that money on a nice dinner.

I installed one on my '99 STS years ago. It was a new part, but was only spec'd on the Eldorado ETC at the time. I bought the LAST ONE in stock from GM! It made an absolutely amazing improvement in the ride and chassis stiffness!
Instead of that little vibration you feel in the front end sometimes, that is converted to vertical movement, and handled by the suspension.
Trust me, you'll love it.

I've added a couple to marginal handling cars and they seemed to help a tiny bit with structural rigidity. Otherwise they just looked nice with the hood popped open. OTOH the one that knits the rear struts together is more worthwhile but has zero wow factor with the trunk like closed.

They are probably not worth the $$ on non-performance vehicles. Better to spend the money on a tank of gas.

Toyota.jpg

77 in less than 2 weeks. What has my age got to do with my choice of options and equipment on my plain vanilla Camry?
It’s a plain Jane 4 cylinder Camry and you’re trying to treat it like it’s a rally Subaru WRX STi with your thousands of “should I choose this oil?” Or threads like these. I mean I get that it’s your vehicle and your money and you can do whatever you want but eesh.
What’s next, an intake spacer? Coilover springs? Supercharger?

Shel, you have some 'interesting' ideas. What kind of gains do you expect?
I have no expectations, just a curiosity. I'd hope that the car might handle a bit better on some curves, especially in diminishing radius situations that I encounter on the secondary roads that I often travel, and which I plan to travel more frequently in the coming 18-months.

In addition, I do a fair amount of driving on some of the interstates, and I've been told that it may help with the buffeting encountered by the draft created by 18-wheelers. I have no idea if it will, but it would be nice if it did.

If I can make the car a bit more enjoyable to drive for less than $50.00, why not. And I can afford it and a nice dinner, both on the same day.

And if it doesn't help, well then, it looks cool. I'll get a billet TRD oil cap as a complement and hang out at the gas station with the hood up to impress the crowds of onlookers who will be dazzled by the shiny objects they see.

It’s a plain Jane 4 cylinder Camry and you’re trying to treat it like it’s a rally Subaru WRX STi with your thousands of “should I choose this oil?” Or threads like these. I mean I get that it’s your vehicle and your money and you can do whatever you want but eesh.
What’s next, an intake spacer? Coilover springs? Supercharger?
I asked you what my age has to do with it.

Front strut brace came on SE trim Camrys
There was a TRD accessory front strut brace, and thicker adjustable rear sway bar
It came standard on my Gen 5 SE V6
I've driven I4 and XLE V6 cars that come without it, and it's a minor yet noticable difference
If you can get it for a reasonable price, go for it
Just remember there are small metal spacers that space it up from the strut tower mount
You can get them from the dealer cheap if need be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back