Possible Installation of Strut Tower Bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a Neuspeed strut tower bar on my otherwise stock '94 Civic del Sol way back when. It stiffened up the flexy open-top chassis to the point that the steering felt strange, lighter in the middle and exponentially heavier as it turned, so I removed it.

I sold it to a friend who installed it on his own Civic that had these horrible cheap chrome 18" monsters on it. He said it made the steering feel like stock again after the iron-heavy wheels killed it.

I'd hope that the car might handle a bit better on some curves, especially in diminishing radius situations that I encounter on the secondary roads that I often travel, and which I plan to travel more frequently in the coming 18-months.

In addition, I do a fair amount of driving on some of the interstates, and I've been told that it may help with the buffeting encountered by the draft created by 18-wheelers.
I'm sure I could have missed those posts where you voiced a concern about encountering these situations. What other measures have you taken to improve those ?

Strut tower bar, is better on any vehicle. It counters the penny pinching design that allows flex. Granted, the more sedate you drive, the less flex there is, which is why it is not standard equipment on everything.

It becomes even more important as a vehicle gets older, not to flex the tower mounts as much once rust starts.

If poor handling is a concern it is not the place to start, but if you drive aggressively, it is something you should have.

There is zero reason to remove a strut tower bar, I think Bottom_Feeder has some unexplainable/other deficit or this was just an observation that yes, a stiffer chassis feels less forgiving than one that bends. Forgiving because it bends, is a sign the vehicle is not right for your driving, correct dampening should not include, depending on this for the ride quality you want unless the only goal is to buy cheaply engineered vehicles and then replace them often. Some people DO, do this and it works for them so not trying to judge... it was a '94 Civic del Sol, pimping a low end vehicle even if from one of the better manufacturers at making low end.

You’re an almost 80 year old man driving a stock plain Jane Camry acting like it’s some kind of high performance auto cross machine.
Perspective. Compared to what was available 20+ years ago, yes a plan jane camry is high performance, and a skilled driver can outperform a less skilled one who only has more HP to accelerate in a straight line, but depends on the roads, if there are those straight lines more than traffic.

It's a win/win situation... except for the repair costs.

Perspective. Compared to what was available 20+ years ago, yes a plan jane camry is high performance, and a skilled driver can outperform a less skilled one who only has more HP to accelerate in a straight line, but depends on the roads, if there are those straight lines more than traffic.

We’re not comparing it to anything and lmao shut up

^ Yeah but everyone these days seems to want a truck or SUV. I could take a new camry and run circles around them... if only I could SEE around them, lol.

You’re an almost 80 year old man driving a stock plain Jane Camry acting like it’s some kind of high performance auto cross machine.
Y'know, there are a lot of jerks on this forum, but today you have shown yourself to be the biggest. What friggin' difference should it make to you what I put on my car and why? Why are you so mean-spirited, judgemental, and condescending?

I like to drive out into the desert every now and then. We have nice desert areas here in California and in Arizona. Maybe the strut brace will provide a modicum of pleasure and enjoyment on the twisty desert roads. Maybe not. I'll find out.

I thought of you when I was editing photos earlier today. Perhaps you can take some solace in the quiet beauty and tranquility afforded by a visit to such a place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because he asked about a strut brace? Really? Should age mean you can't enjoy a car, or wonder what an easy to install item might do? He should have no wonder or fun ?
I’ve already said I don’t care what he does with his money. I just find it amusing that a nearly 80yo person who drives a plain Jane stock 2011 Camry is trying to soup it up.

Is this not a message forum? Are we not allowed to discuss things? Should we run every post by you from now on to make sure it’s okay to post by your say so?

^ Yeah but everyone these days seems to want a truck or SUV. I could take a new camry and run circles around them... if only I could SEE around them, lol.
All 169hp in that agile and mobile 3400lb curb weight grocery getter? Better put a roll cage and 5 pt harness system along with a stall converter or you gonna die! :eek:

I’ve already said I don’t care what he does with his money. I just find it amusing that a nearly 80yo person who drives a plain Jane stock 2011 Camry is trying to soup it up.

Is this not a message forum? Are we not allowed to discuss things? Should we run every post by you from now on to make sure it’s okay to post by your say so?
It is a message forum, and Shel was participating/posting , then you got personal about his age and choice of car. No you don't need to run any posts by me, but i'll discuss your response as well. Perhaps we should ask your age?

It’s a plain Jane 4 cylinder Camry and you’re trying to treat it like it’s a rally Subaru WRX STi with your thousands of “should I choose this oil?” Or threads like these. I mean I get that it’s your vehicle and your money and you can do whatever you want but eesh.
What’s next, an intake spacer? Coilover springs? Supercharger?
@tyman your concern about what Shel does with his Camry is what puzzles me. Why be negative and condescending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back