Plug-In Hybrid: Filter Selection Thoughts?

Hey All...long-time reader, first time poster.

I've had a Rav4 Prime (Plug-in hybrid) for almost a year now. It will go ~42 miles on electricity alone. This is more often than not enough to do my daily driving without even engaging the gas engine. I currently have ~9000 miles on the vehicle (work from home), and I would estimate ~2/3 of those miles are purely electric, so there's only ~3000 miles on the engine...and I have at times gone a couple of weeks without needing to use it. The gas miles are predominantly highway miles.

I've been considering after-market oil filter options. Unless my driving habits dramatically change, I anticipate doing annual oil/filter changes. I would like to utilize a filter that has better filtration efficiency than the Toyota OEM filter...but I don't have any need for extended OCI (in terms of miles) capabilities due to so many of my miles being electric. Oil used will be TGMO or M1 AFE 0w-16.

Any thoughts on what might make sense in this scenario? Fram Ultra? RP? Just stick with the OEM?

The Fram Ultra or Royal Purple filters will be more efficient that the OEM. How long between your oil changes?

The Ultra and RP could probably be used for multiple OCIs if that's something you're interested in doing. So if you change oil every 3000 miles on the engine the filter could be left on for 3 OCIs or 9,000 miles total with no problem.

I intend to conduct the 1yr/10k miles schedule in the vehicles manual. I doubt that I'll be hitting the 10k miles within a year...so I anticipate it'll be an annual OCI. My only concern with going multiple OCIs is that the vehicle doesn't have a built-in method by which to track the actual miles on the engine vs electric. Rather than try to estimate or manually track the miles on the engine, I intend to play it safe and just swap the filter each year along with the oil.

I intend to conduct the 1yr/10k miles schedule in the vehicles manual. I doubt that I'll be hitting the 10k miles within a year...so I anticipate it'll be an annual OCI. My only concern with going multiple OCIs is that the vehicle doesn't have a built-in method by which to track the actual miles on the engine vs electric. Rather than try to estimate or manually track the miles on the engine, I intend to play it safe and just swap the filter each year along with the oil.
What's your target filter efficiency and max money you want to spend once a year on an oil filter?

I once had a lexus ct200 hybrid. The oil after 10k look practically new. With your plug in the motor I'd rarely on, I'd say it doesn't matter what filter you run. I'd run a tough guard or above for a year.

What's your target filter efficiency and max money you want to spend once a year on an oil filter?
If I could get to +98% at 20 micron...I think that would make it worthwhile. Cost isn't a concern. I looked at the AMSOIL filter...but my particular size has been out of stock for a few weeks now.

1 year/10K, changing it every time? Fram Extra Guard, or even a standard Toyota one. No reason to spend more money on a filter that could last multiple years & OCIs!

If I could get to +98% at 20 micron...I think that would make it worthwhile. Cost isn't a concern. I looked at the AMSOIL filter...but my particular size has been out of stock for a few weeks now.
Both the Fram TG and Ultra meet that. If you don't like non-metal end caps then use the Ultra. Royal Purple and Purolator PureOne are also ones to look at if you want high efficiency.

Back