Please recommend cargo pants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mostly wear a suit but will spend time in the field wearing casual clothes. I have always worn cargo pants but haven't really been happy with any of them other than very light duty ones like Sonoma brand. They were comfortable and functional but lacked durability and were totally unsuitable on the job. For years I was wearing 511 brand cargo pants and I liked them okay but the design has changed and I don't care for them anymore. I tried True-Spec which get great reviews, my coworkers like them, but I think they suck. The don't fit well and the leg pockets eject anything that's in there whether I sit down in the car or in a chair. I also don't care for all those skimpy and thus fiddly velcro pocket flaps that are hard to line up and that just wont stay closed. Plus, the velcro is noisy.. Those pants are however durable with reinforced knees and they are pretty dirt-resistant. What I'm looking for are durable cargo pants with pockets that can be securely closed and that don't eject cargo when sitting down. Polycotton preferred over cotton or all-synthetic. Suitable colors are sage, coyote, tobacco, dark blue, or black. Do you have any recommendations so that I don't have to spend an inordinate amount of time going shopping? I hate shopping for clothes.

crazy2.gif

I didn't think those were in style...since the late 90s.

Then again that was about 20 years ago, so it goes to reason that they are in style again.

Its about being practical not about being in style. But I assure you my suit is very stylish!
cool.gif

Thanks guys, I'll check those out. And if there are more recommendations, please keep them coming.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
I mostly wear a suit but will spend time in the field wearing casual clothes. I have always worn cargo pants but haven't really been happy with any of them other than very light duty ones like Sonoma brand. They were comfortable and functional but lacked durability and were totally unsuitable on the job. For years I was wearing 511 brand cargo pants and I liked them okay but the design has changed and I don't care for them anymore. I tried True-Spec which get great reviews, my coworkers like them, but I think they suck. The don't fit well and the leg pockets eject anything that's in there whether I sit down in the car or in a chair. I also don't care for all those skimpy and thus fiddly velcro pocket flaps that are hard to line up and that just wont stay closed. Plus, the velcro is noisy.. Those pants are however durable with reinforced knees and they are pretty dirt-resistant. What I'm looking for are durable cargo pants with pockets that can be securely closed and that don't eject cargo when sitting down. Polycotton preferred over cotton or all-synthetic. Suitable colors are sage, coyote, tobacco, dark blue, or black. Do you have any recommendations so that I don't have to spend an inordinate amount of time going shopping? I hate shopping for clothes.

Send the wife out to shop. They love to shop.

Have you tried more than one 5.11 style? I wear both the Stryke and Stryke TDU regularly. The TDU is cut quite a bit differently than the standard Stryke.

The only other cargo pants I could recommend are from an Edmonton based company (Derks), which probably isn't much help to you in California.

Check Sierra Trading Post. Big discounts for clothing items that are slightly "irregular". Most of the time, you can't even spot the slight defect that the inspector rejected the item for.

I've bought Wrangler "Riggs Work Wear" and Carhartt cargo pants from them, at substantial discounts. Check them out.

I travel and do my DIY work in cargo pants
Wrangler
Don't like sitting on a wallet

I'm intrigued by the beaver bite-resistant Duluth trading Company pants but for some reason they have their sketch artist show drawings of their clothes and no photos. By the way, I do like the waist with elastic and I want at least a total of two magazine pouches in the leg pockets.

If you have a slender/athletic build, North Face and Kuhl's hiking pants are pretty great. Their cargo pockets have amazing velcro and breathe pretty [censored] cool for being slightly water resistant. +1 if you find a convertible one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back