Please discuss Pre-diabetes here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying the intermittent fasting thing. 10 hours to eat during the day and 14 hours of just water during the evening/night.

It's all about discipline.

My dad is diabetic.

I introduced him to intermittent fasting, and managing his food and water intake as well as light exercise and he can go months without taking insulin...only when he relapses.

Garbage in = garbage health. Eat good nutritious food lay off the manufactured processed foods and cut out the $%#@$# sugar...its poison.

I am to the point now in my nutrition that if I eat a spoon of honey I can feel it hit my system....and its natural. If were to eat a doughnut it feels unnatural when it hits. Veggies, nuts during the day home cooked natural meal and I am ready to hit the gym....I am within 5 yrs of 50. If I can do it anyone can...simple discipline.

One of the low glycemic foods I found is Danone light & fit Greek yogurt both blueberry and cherry. Do not buy the generic version it has much more carbs.

I recently had my A1c tested. It came back 5.5 that is in the good range. I have mixed feelings about it. It is now in the good range, but I was hopping it wold be even lower, and possibly even low enough that my doctor would discontinue one or both doses of the Metformin, but she is keeping me on it for now. I am now at 177 Lbs, exactly 50 ponds less than my maximum of 227 about 8 months ago. I walk 5 to 7 days a week, and continue to limit carbohydrates to less than 70 per meal and less than 30 per snack.

The book said to limit carbs to less than 30 per snack, and 60 per meal for normal size people and less than 75 per meal for tall large people. I'm 6' 4" so I guess I qualify for the 75 limit.

It will be interesting to see if the A1c continues to drop, or at least stay in the good range.

Eating properly = this has been my problem, especially when I travel.

I ended up getting boiled eggs and deli turkey and cheese from walmart

Quantity has been as issue when I go out to eat.

It's difficult when traveling. Even with COVID we traveled from NY (don't tell Uncle Cuomo!) often this summer to mid-Atlantic and southern states for baseball tournaments. I really got bothered when the hotel breakfast was no longer put out and hard boiled eggs weren't offered in the "bagged" crummy breakfast.

Even the choice of deli turkey has some drawbacks; often loaded with sodium. A good slow release of carb breakfast I use often is 1 cut non processed oats with a half cup cold milk and strawberries or banana. Can be made the night before. Filling and while it does pack some carbs it;s a sustained satiated felling for many hours.

It doesnt matter so much as the type of food you eat as it does matter how much you eat and weighing what you are supposed to weigh.
For someone who always maintains their weight in the correct BMI range, it would be much rare (compared to the current population) to ever acquire Type 2 diabetes. Its a terrible disease that eats away at your organs. We are all human though and not faultless. I get it, everyone is addicted to something now a days.
Use the BMI chart and be that weight.

Lose weight. cut out sugar starches refined carbs artificial sweeteners , sodas, alcohol get exercise some say a low meat diet . Etc. I have always bounced around the pre diabetes to normal readings and I don't know why.

Something like 80% of all the foods in your local grocery store have "added" sugar, to get you to like their product more. 80% of health is diet and 20% exercise.

Always read the ingredients labels. Often times you don't see sugar in the first five ingredients because they'll get several different kinds of sweetener instead, which mathematically makes them show up way down the list. Devious!

Spend maybe a third more on food to get healthier or even organic foods at places like Sprouts, Whole Foods or similar. Drink mostly water with an organic cup of black coffee (this was hard to get used to) in the morning and maybe a glass of red wine once in a while at dinner. Never drink soda, even the diet versions.

By the way, baked potatoes (my old favorite) are treated by your body just like sugar. Sweet potatoes are better. Eat the skin too. Meat should be a side dish, not the main course. Mediterranean diet.

" Better to spend your money on healthy foods now than drugs later. "

There are plenty of post and apps on google searches that show how many carbs any given food has. You can weigh an apple and search on your phone and quickly find some info on how many carbs an apple in the general weigh yours is will have.

I tried all the different verities of frozen mixed vegetables that the local food stores carry. I quickly learned to avoid the ones with onions. The best one I found is sold by a local chain called Shop-n-Save in there generic brand called Essential Everyday and the particular mix that taste good and is low in carbs is there Fiesta Blend. It has Broccoli, Carrots, Navy Beans, Kidney Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Green Beans, and Red Peppers.

Another good food with basically no carbs is egg white (Bob Evans is the best but the most expensive, some generic brands are OK, some have water added that will show up when you cook it). I buy the cartons of it and cook up 100 grams for breakfast, and also have 50 grams of blue-berries, 160 grams of low acid orange juice, and a Dannon light and fit yogurt. That makes up a filling breakfast that holds my over for quite a while and is low enough in carbs.

A good light lunch is a hardboiled egg, 50 grams of blueberries, and 160 grams of homemade ice tea made with only 85 grams of sugar in an 89 oz container filled up with the homemade Lipton tea.

A good mid day snack is a medium size apple, or a RX Coconut Chocolate bar, or a Kind Carmel Almond bar. But only one from that list per day.

A good light supper is 200 grams of Amy's brand black bean chilly, and 160 grams of steamed Fiesta Blend mixed vegetables, a Dannon Light-n-Fit yogurt, and for a snack the salted taste of 10 grams of Planters Cashews, 10 grams of walnuts, and 5 grams of sliced almonds with a tall glass of cold water.

On days when I do a lot of work I will have one slice of Pepperidge Farms 15 grain bread with 52 grams of Skippy peanut butter, and 177 grams of cherry Pepsi, with a half a banana, and one premier chocolate drink.

A good low carb before bed snack is 60 grams of large curd 4% cottage cheese with a generous amount of salt mixed in, and two slices of peaches weighing between 30 to 40 grams (from a jar).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back