Platinum Plus Advertising Lots of Questions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Thermo1223:
Reviews, reports, and the fact that it really isn't meeting any kind a spec other then one size fits all.

Personal use too.

Well everything I've seen on here over the years hasn't shown it to be an inferior product for most applications. UOAs aren't stellar but aren't bad. With regards to specs, it's API SM, for most cars, that's the only spec that matters. Ofcourse, the 10W30 is A3....

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:

quote:

Reviews, reports, and the fact that it really isn't meeting any kind a spec other then one size fits all.

Personal use too.

Well everything I've seen on here over the years hasn't shown it to be an inferior product for most applications. UOAs aren't stellar but aren't bad. With regards to specs, it's API SM, for most cars, that's the only spec that matters. Ofcourse, the 10W30 is A3....

IIRC, the 10w-30 also had "high mileage" adds, but wasn't labeled as HM. My bad if I'm wrong...

quote:

Originally posted by Fred Littlefield:
Questions about Penzoil PP:

I heard the add on the radio today about Platinum Plus they claim that if the oil shears that it will re-build itself, that is the oil molecules will reassemble back to the original construction.

Perhaps they are referring to temporary polymer sheer, which is discussed starting about the 9th paragraph in the linked article.

quote:

The only thing Supertech is good for is a car that burns oil. It gets replensihed quick that it can't breakdown as fast.
banghead.gif

What leads you to that conclusion?
dunno.gif

I guess to me personally it doesn't make sense when a reliable name brand is a $1-2 a jug more.

Thats just me though.

Whatt doesn't make sense to me is calling an oil unreliable without actual proof.

The whole point is moot when my Wal-Mart sells me Maxlife SYNTH for $12.68 a jug!

I have seen proof...I have felt the proof. It's just not worth saving the small amount of money. Especially if the car deserves better in the first place.

Just like the Costal Gear Oil at Autozone...garbage.

Lucky you on the Synlife though...don't get me wrong I enjoy saying money buuut Supertech is just not a brand I can recommend or like, same thing I try and get people to stop buying Frams for.

I bad UOA not on this forum for a short amount of mileage. I think 3000 miles. I don't have a link so you can question it as you see fit. I just kind of logged it mentally.

I didn't really expect to need it sorry.

Thermo ..and there are probably a dozen okay UOA here on Supertech. I was never one to see just one bad report on something and assume that it's indicitive of the whole universe. Show me a pattern of dysfunction that outweighs the pattern of totally functional ..and you may have some justification for arriving at your conclusion.

btw- I heard your neighbor was driving in the wrong side of town. He was within 3 blocks of the "you know what" district. That usually means he's a "you know what". You better keep an eye on him.
grin.gif

I used to burn more of the walmart store brand back when it was "tech 2000"... 1 qt/700 miles for that, 1 qt/800 miles for a name brand... think it was superflo. Drew my own conclusion based on that. Pre-BITOG days.

I hope Thermo has similar up-to-date data for his powertrain. There are certainly "poorer combos" of engine + oil as brought to light in the UOA section.

Worth noting, of course, that Walmart's store brand has gone from API SJ to SM in that time and switched suppliers from quaker state to warren to exxon-mobil. I use it again. Oh, and I have a different car now too.

This board is all about objective data overcoming preconceived notions.

And there are ways to figure out supplier-- bottle shape, lot number coding, MSDSs, or seeing the pallet in the WM stockroom... so the argument "I don't know who'll make it tomorrow" is specious at best. Should one worry it will be blended to a lower standard they can always stash some away-- it's an appreciating asset.
smile.gif

eljefino, seems like now they are using all three suppliers.

BTW, the Supertech SYNTH is what I am questioning. I don't see why someone would avoid it just b/c it's Supertech. I can't see someone burning a bunch of ST synth.

Unforunatley that car was traded in...so no data from me. I just wouldn't pay for Supertech synth when a couple of bucks more will get me the good stuff.

Ideally it didn't impress me from the get go and I didn't need a UOA to prove it.

Use it if you want, I'll pay for the better oil.

quote:

Ideally it didn't impress me from the get go and I didn't need a UOA to prove it.

Ahhhhhhhh, the old buttt dyno. Another reliable, objective analysis.
lol.gif
PROOF.
lol.gif

Remember you good ol consumers you, the more expensive, the BETTER, right? RIGHT???

Another one bites the dust.

I'll call a sorry oil a sorry oil, but quite frankly I haven't seen many so far. Especially not for 3-5k drains on a non-forced induction car.

Another what bites the dust?!? A UOA wouldn't prove much, at least not one. I constant use would be more appropiate which wouldn't have mattered anyway in this case.

If you don't care what goes in your engine and stupidly drain it every 3k anyway then Supertech might just be for you. If you care then maybe you want a proven oil. Ideally I would just by a jug of Pennzoil or Castrol before I buy a jug of Supertech anyway Synth or Dino.

They are manufactored by STP or are they a Purolater rebrand...Used them before and seemed to be a good alternative if you don't want to pay for a Napa Gold.

quote:

They are manufactored by STP or are they a Purolater rebrand...Used them before and seemed to be a good alternative if you don't want to pay for a Napa Gold.

Both the SuperTech oil filters and STP oil filters are manufactured by Champion Labs.

quote:

Another what bites the dust?!? A UOA wouldn't prove much, at least not one. I constant use would be more appropiate which wouldn't have mattered anyway in this case.

Pointing out you don't really have anything to substantiate your point.

quote:

If you don't care what goes in your engine and stupidly drain it every 3k anyway then Supertech might just be for you. If you care then maybe you want a proven oil. Ideally I would just by a jug of Pennzoil or Castrol before I buy a jug of Supertech anyway Synth or Dino.

That's your personal decision and you're welcome to it. But you haven't shown any valid reason to distrust Supertech. If don't like Supertech, you don't like Supertech. Just don't try to couch it in valid reason if you have none. It will only confuse people reading this thread who don't know better.
wink.gif
This site is supposed to be about cutting through the hype, emotion and myth surrounding oil.

quote:

Champion Labs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back