is Pennzoil Platinum still the favorite?

I have been using TGMO for the past 10 years on my 2013 Camry. It's got to a point that the dealership is not willing to give me discount anymore. So I need to get back to 0w20 oils that I can buy from Walmart. Is Pennzoil platinum still the favorite in our community? Thanks.

Last edited:
I simply shop for oil that meets specifications and is good value (on sale, rebates etc.). Being a name brand or recognized store brand is a requirement. Other than that, no favorites. I tend to switch oil brands regularly because of this.

Found the same thing with Toyota TGMO oil being priced way beyond "reasonable" at the dealer.
Went to the name brands, and whatever is on sale. I plan my oil changes 6 - 8 weeks out, so a simple exercise to find a better priced, on sale oil in the viscosity I need.
My usual go-tos are PP, QSUD, Costco Kirkland, Mobil 1.

Don't pick an oil just because it is a favorite because of a bunch of fan boys, instead pick an oil because it meets the requirements of your vehicle and is readily available depending on how you like to purchase oil whether online or in store.

Pennzoil Platinum is very good oil.

I think quaker state or M1 EP is the favorites. I use Castrol mostly but the pricing is a bit high these days

Pennzoil was never a favorite of mine.
Castrol was mine 30+ years ago then Mobil 1 was for a long time now I'm running Quakerstate, I wouldn't call it a favorite just a good priced oil that meets my needs.

Welp - there's 6 different favorite oils here.

The Quaker State because it's a buck cheaper crowd.

The Mobil 1 in it's various flavors crowd. The 0W-40 members have special gold cards in that crowd.

The boutique crowd, mostly HPL with a few AMSOIL/Redline supporting members

The BMW/VW certs crowd.

The Euro crowd, which is not to be confused with the certs crowd.

I'm in the 6th crowd. That is the 'it's all good oil' crowd, though we each have our favorites. Mine is Penz Ultra Platinum in the black label bottle. There is a Penz Platinum silver label also that is a bit more reminiscent of the Penzoil Ultra Plat with Pure Plus that WAS the favorite for quite a while.

There's a fringe group that loves Rotella. We tried driving them off with pitchforks but they are crafty little guerillas.

(just kidding Rotella crowd!)

I usually just get SuperTech high mileage 0w20 for our Toyota and Honda. The engines haven't blown yet, so I guess that oil does oil things.

For filter, supertech for the Honda, the longer one. And a Toyota one for the yota since Walmart carries them for cheap.

Back