Anyone still using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?

Funnier yet is the numbers from testing give you no relevant information on how an oil will perform in an engine, yet a huge number of people buy their oil based on somebody else’s UOA, from a different engine family.

Certifications tell you what oil is proper for a given vehicle.
I prefer oil in the red bottles,,,just kidding, I like red fishing flies though..........

It wasn't like that. Ford Boss me tested oils against each other to see what additives they all had and in what amounts. Try and lighten up.
Almost any modern name-brand oil is fine.
I doubt that. What tests were used? Nearly every sort of test that’s available to an entity like that doesn’t test “what additives”, it’s a simple spectrograph of decomposed compounds. Besides, comparative quality testing between oils is expensive, time consuming and complicated.

Have a link to this testing?

In a recent post comparing QSFS to PP a member claimed that his Subaru went through PUP as if he'd "left the drain plug out". Has anybody else found their engine used more oil when running PUP?

I ask because I have a decent stock of this oil (SN rated) that I was planning to start using in my daughters Mazda CX-30 but won't if this is the case. Her Mazda burns no oil in the 5 to 7K OCIs that it's had using QSUD, M1, Idemitsu 0w20 syn. and PP and even with the Citgo syn. that Midas used when she was far from home. Since I don't get to keep an eye on the oil level of her Mazda as I do with my own cars I'd save the PUP for my cars if in fact it tends to burn off in some vehicles. (I'm pretty sure she never looks at her dipstick despite my teachings.)

PS: I even have 2 OCI's worth of the 5w20 SM PUP from 2010 that was a darling of this site when it first came out...I'll probably use it in my 2008 Corolla which was back spec'd for 5w20 and calls for SL oil on the oil cap.

In a recent post comparing QSFS to PP a member claimed that his Subaru went through PUP as if he'd "left the drain plug out". Has anybody else found their engine used more oil when running PUP?

I ask because I have a decent stock of this oil (SN rated) that I was planning to start using in my daughters Mazda CX-30 but won't if this is the case. Her Mazda burns no oil in the 5 to 7K OCIs that it's had using QSUD, M1, Idemitsu 0w20 syn. and PP and even with the Citgo syn. that Midas used when she was far from home. Since I don't get to keep an eye on the oil level of her Mazda as I do with my own cars I'd save the PUP for my cars if in fact it tends to burn off in some vehicles. (I'm pretty sure she never looks at her dipstick despite my teachings.)

PS: I even have 2 OCI's worth of the 5w20 SM PUP from 2010 that was a darling of this site when it first came out...I'll probably use it in my 2008 Corolla which was back spec'd for 5w20 and calls for SL oil on the oil cap.
No issues when I used it in my 2016 CX5. Ran great, no perceptible burn in 5000 mi. Use with confidence.

No issue in my 20' fb25..

When it comes to stories like this its usually safe to discard the outliers. There is no way that engine behaved exactly as described.

No, have been using it for years on multiple vehicles and not seen any oil consumption.. If I did though, the oil wouldn't be my top suspect for the cause.

Do you have a link to that recent post?

No, have been using it for years on multiple vehicles and not seen any oil consumption.. If I did though, the oil wouldn't be my top suspect for the cause.

Do you have a link to that recent post?
It's post #104 in the recent thread - LSJr.s Video Testing-- QS and Pennzoil Differences.

Funny I just bought some and part of the reason was because of a video showing how good the add pack and numbers were from testing.
Bill don't know, he's a Super Tech fan boy!. How many threads/remarks and comments he advocates Super Tech since joining. Just now he's starting to like Quaker State. PUP is a fantastic oil and wish Walmart continued to stock on shelves at my local Walmarts.

My 2011 Fusion went 17.1k on PUP without adding an ounce. No fuel in UOA, either, as long as we trust Blackstone on a port-injected engine.

That's awesome..... the 2.5 Duratec (Mazda MZR derived) is an outstanding engine IMO....I wouldn't try that on an Ecoboost.
I wouldn’t run PUP that long in a Eco, agree. But maybe 7.5 or so depending on the UOAs. Ford didn’t do the emu owners any favors by recommending semi-syn on 10k OLMs.

But I’ve run HPL PCEO to 15k in my modded 3.5 Eco, and I’m at about 12.2k on No VII Euro 5w30 right now, may do dipstick sample (or Stahlbus sample from the pan) at 15k, but I will likely just drain it. I know it’s plenty good at the 15-20k like HPL’s fleet runs, but I just don’t have the guts to chase 30k+ like @wwillson has 🤣

Is anyone still using Pnz Ultra Platinum? I have used Pnz Platinum religiously in the past but I one cold flow test, Pnz semi synthetic actually flowed better than the Platinum. I just purchased a 2016 Honda Odyssey with 82k miles. I’m thinking I will use Mobil1 Full Synthetic or Pnz Ultra Platinum. I would have to order the Ultra online.
I used to use PUP for my 2006/2007 Odyssey's about 5 to 10 years ago.
I stopped using it when I realized the VOA's showed it was on the thin side for each grade (bordering on the next thinner viscosity grade).
Also, I decided to use high mileage oils to treat the oil seals to help prevent future leaks.
So I stopped using PUP. If you like Gas to Liquid (GTL) oils, you may wish to consider Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic.

If cost is a concern, an excellent Dexos 1 Gen 3 certified oil that I've been using for years in my Honda Odyssey's is SuperTech Full Synthetic High mileage @$18.98 for a 5 quart jug minus $1 for 5% discount with Walmart credit card = $17.98 + tax for 5 quart jug. It's marketed as a 10,000 mile oil, but in my case (with VCM enabled) I prefer shorter OCI (regardless of oil used).

Back