Platinum Plus Advertising Lots of Questions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions about Penzoil PP:

I heard the add on the radio today about Platinum Plus they claim that if the oil shears that it will re-build itself, that is the oil molecules will reassemble back to the original construction. This makes it sound like the best oil in the word!! What is the Truth? Is this all marketing hype? Is it really any better than other synthetics out there? Mobil1, RP, RedLine, Amsoil?

First, is this true? And if so Why?

Second, is this oil as sturdy as other synthetic oils that don't claim this? I wouldn't want an oil that will break down or shear easier in order to have one that will re-combine. Also is it really the same oil as other synthetics, or is it truely unique? Is it just marketing hype?

Lastly, what is the base stock of Platinum Plus? Is it group V? And is it POE, PAO, or mix? I saw a post that said that it was EOP. What is that? or is it the same as POE
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=015803;p=1#000004

PP is Group V, which means that it isn't petroleum and isn't PAO. Yes, EOP, something new and good.

All synthetic oils are NOT alike. The best Group III, the PAO and the Group V are all excellent. The Cheap Group III are not as good as the very best petro/PAO syn blend.

Ken

BWT... I'm running ST Sythetic 5W30 (along with ST 7317 filter) in both 05 G35 at 4.5 OCI and 05 Maxima at 6K OCI. The G35 is 50/50 city/highway and pushed pretty hard (daily 5-6K RPMs) but the Maxima is driven by my pops who does 90% highway and rarely goes over 5K RPMs.

quote:

Originally posted by NissanMD:
BWT... I'm running ST Sythetic 5W30 (along with ST 7317 filter) in both 05 G35 at 4.5 OCI and 05 Maxima at 6K OCI. The G35 is 50/50 city/highway and pushed pretty hard (daily 5-6K RPMs) but the Maxima is driven by my pops who does 90% highway and rarely goes over 5K RPMs.

ST Syn will be just fine in your applications. Since you are changing fairly often in the G35, the redlines shouldn't matter. I wouldn't do 10K drains on it with that hard driving, but, all in all you should be fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Fred Littlefield:
Questions about Penzoil PP:

I heard the add on the radio today about Platinum Plus they claim that if the oil shears that it will re-build itself, that is the oil molecules will reassemble back to the original construction. This makes it sound like the best oil in the word!! What is the Truth? Is this all marketing hype? Is it really any better than other synthetics out there? Mobil1, RP, RedLine, Amsoil?

First, is this true? And if so Why?

Second, is this oil as sturdy as other synthetic oils that don't claim this? I wouldn't want an oil that will break down or shear easier in order to have one that will re-combine. Also is it really the same oil as other synthetics, or is it truely unique? Is it just marketing hype?

Lastly, what is the base stock of Platinum Plus? Is it group V? And is it POE, PAO, or mix? I saw a post that said that it was EOP. What is that? or is it the same as POE
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=015803;p=1#000004

Call me a noob, but, um...what exactly is Pennzoil Platinum Plus?

^^

How is everyone going to abreviate that one - PPP?
lol.gif

Upgrade from PP to PPP
lol.gif

shh!! It's a secret
nono.gif

I heard the radio ad too. I had visions of nano lubers getting squished and then reforming themselves like T2
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
shh!! It's a secret
nono.gif

I heard the radio ad too. I had visions of nano lubers getting squished and then reforming themselves like T2
shocked.gif

But this is just platinum, right?

Triple Plat
grin.gif

Yes, someone just got crosswired with their "P's" PZ Plat ...Purolator Premium Plus .....PP ..or PPP
dunno.gif

There's a TV ad where they show the "molecules" ganging together to get squished between two gears. Then they seperate until they need to gang together for something else.

If this turns out to be marketing malarkey, it's still good for showing a theoretical load on an oil.

come on. someone needs to get technical hear and post the commercial to youtube.com

no worries on the platinum plus! You just saved my pocketbook though as I was ready to scramble out and find some!

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:

no worries on the platinum plus! You just saved my pocketbook though as I was ready to scramble out and find some!

New oil junkie
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:

quote:

Originally posted by NissanMD:

ST Syn will be just fine in your applications. Since you are changing fairly often in the G35, the redlines shouldn't matter. I wouldn't do 10K drains on it with that hard driving, but, all in all you should be fine.

That baffles me, you buy all very nice cars yet you cheap out on the oil. The only thing Supertech is good for is a car that burns oil. It gets replensihed quick that it can't breakdown as fast.
banghead.gif

Reviews, reports, and the fact that it really isn't meeting any kind a spec other then one size fits all.

Personal use too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back