Plastic engine covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Automakers generally don't spend a dime on appearance items which can't be seen without opening the hood. The cover is there for reason.

Mostly it's dress up, same as fully carpeted trunks, in the old days we were lucky to have a thin rubber mat... Now everything is dressed up, have to keep up with the Jones's toys...

actually the carpeted trunks, esp the underside of the deck lid, are major road noise dampers for the cabin...

Interesting. Never thought about the heat trapping aspect. I agree that on a properly-operating car, it shouldn't make a difference.

Took my Pilot's cover off for fun today. Noticed no changes in cabin noise when the engine was cold or warmed up. I'm going to leave it off for the time being because getting to the dipsticks and oil cap is little easier now.

Last edited:
I do know that at least some of the plastic cover pieces on the bottom have a purpose. I found out by removing one because it was cracked. I removed the one that mounts inside the passenger side wheel well on my '04 Corolla. Shortly after removing it, when driving in wet/rainy conditions I kept getting a battery idiot light, indicating some sort of an electrical/charging problem. Come to find out, water was splashing on the pulley that drives the serpentine belt and causing the belt to actually hydroplane on the pulley, causing the idiot light. Once I installed another cover the problem went away...

Our MDX's engine cover has some foam underneath, but not much. Our Ridgeline's engine cover has zero foam whatsoever. I've ran them both with the covers off for extended periods of time, and can't tell a difference one way or the other in NVH.

I leave them on simply because I'd have to store them somewhere otherwise.

Not much in the sense of engine cover on mine. It's only the front and back small black pieces. Covers the oil filter in the back, some wiring and some vacuum tubes.

3040906.001_1048big.jpg

There's not much on Subarus either. Just a top guard over the serpentine belt. Subaru is proud of ugly.

mainly a to help reduce noise. it "cleans" up the engine bay I guess you could say. The foam insulator on my cars fell apart soon after the warranty, leaving a big foamy mess. Also, the black plastic that covers the electrical wires cracked within 2 years. Removing the engine cover and replacing the black wire covering (whatever it's called) and the issue has never returned.

I remove engine covers on all my vehicles unless it is needed for proper performance (i.e airflow, cooling).

I have not noticed a difference in my 3800 cars if I keep it on or take it off.
I left it on the Grand Prix. It looks ok with it off because you can see the blower, but it looks cleaner with it installed.

series_31.jpg

My Honda has a cover. Whenever I adjust valves and change oil I can't believe the amount of road salt, gravel, bugs, etc. where the engine ISNT covered. I'll keep mine on. It's like two bolts to remove it. I don't see a good reason to remove it. Trapped heat??? I assume you don't drive your car on sunny days for the same reason? LOL I'm sure the car can handle the extra 10 degrees trapped under the plastic.

My brother has a GM 3800 FWD and I agree theres no real reason to take it off on those. Sisters 2013 Honda Accord 2.4 surprising doesnt have an engine cover,just some "EARTH DREAMS" non sense on the cam cover! Go Honda! Many cars you cannot take the cover off without modifying the engine. 2008-2012 Malibus with 2.4 engine the intake tubing is molded into the engine cover. So if you toss the cover you have to buy or fabricate an intake system. Im sure there are plenty of other cars like that too.

I took mine off because it was rubbing on my cam cover and it made a wear spot. I cant imagine leaving it on for 200,000 miles, it would have worn a hole thru the cam cover by then. I had to replace the plastic looming that covers all the wiring in my engine compartment cuz it cracked and fell apart. I did that twice. Then after taking the cover off I havent had to replace it again.

Every veh is different. If the cover isnt causing any problems then just leave it on. The foam on my cover had completely disintegrated too. It seriously lasted about 50,000 miles, just past the warranty period. Its in a landfill somewhere. Juuuuuuuunk.

And I LOVE how everyone is saying that the extra heat trapped by the cover is "nothing to worry about". Yeah, okay. Come live in Texas for 26 years and the see what extra heat does to plastic, and rubber for that matter.

Plastic engine covers bug me, from a mechanical standpoint.

On an '99 F150 I had, I pulled it off due to an idle air control valve on the top starting to go bad. I had to take a wrench and tap on it once in a while to get the truck to start.

Over on a forum for the car I have now, somebody was complaining about how grimy the engine gets under the plastic cover and it bugs them every time they take it off when otherwise cleaning the engine off.

Only a small portion of engine waste heat is radiated from it's surface. It's fundamentally water-cooled, and even better, thermostatically-regulated. Cover or not, it simply won't matter.

Some cars, yes, the cover "protects" the wiring, totally agree. What you guys arent understanding is that unnecessary heat is trapped in the cover. I have family in the northeast, and 15 year old cars in the junkyards up there have perfect wire looms and all the plastics that go along with it are perfect. Not so much down here. I already stated as well that the plastic wire looming cracked and fell apart on my car that was covered by the engine cover. I replaced it twice. Then i removed the engine cover and have never had to replace it again. Some plastics arent so much heat tolerable but more of a "cover", as is with the looming i am talking about.

If anyone would like to "Google" for yourself please do. 2005-2010 cobalts have a huge cover. You will frequently see the ABS wiring harness that runs along the cowl is exposed because the looming cracked off. And you will see the wiring harness that runs along the cam cover is exposed as well. I have repaired both areas in my car and have not had to replace it for a 4th since removing my cover, and that was at around 50,000 miles.

Since removing my cover, on icy days when the engine is warmed up, four circles will appear on my hood where the ice has melted and those cirlces are exactly where the ignition coils are. The circles never appeared with the cover on. In fact, the ice never melted unless it got above freezing outside.

Heat does get trapped in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back