Plastic engine covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
The cover on my '07 VW EOS contained the engine air filter.

Same here. I removed the ones on my Sonata and my wife's Beetle because preferred them off.

But the one on my Jetta can't be removed because of the air filter. I think there might be aftermarket kits that hold the filter so you can remove the cover permanently, but I don't care enough to take that step.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Only a small portion of engine waste heat is radiated from it's surface. It's fundamentally water-cooled, and even better, thermostatically-regulated. Cover or not, it simply won't matter.
There still in lots of heat radiated from the engine.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Some cars, yes, the cover "protects" the wiring, totally agree. What you guys arent understanding is that unnecessary heat is trapped in the cover. I have family in the northeast, and 15 year old cars in the junkyards up there have perfect wire looms and all the plastics that go along with it are perfect. Not so much down here. I already stated as well that the plastic wire looming cracked and fell apart on my car that was covered by the engine cover. I replaced it twice. Then i removed the engine cover and have never had to replace it again. Some plastics arent so much heat tolerable but more of a "cover", as is with the looming i am talking about.

I totally get where you are coming from with the TX heat affecting plastics, etc.
My brother lives in Dallas. A few years back i bought a Neon from him. it lived it's first 4 years as his DD/Commuter car in the metroplex. within the first week of owning it up here in OH (Bought late feb, stillcold enough we got a couple big snows after i got it up here) I managed to snap the hook/tabs for both sun visors(junk yard/ebay to the rescue!). none of my neon driving coworkers had experienced such issues. it also had some black rubber parts that had faded to a dull grey that i could never get right, and the local ohio cars didn't seem to suffer the same problem..

I snapped the one on my Cruze in half one day. All it did was cover up the coilpack. Our Fit doesn't have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back