Safe to run engine with top plastic cover removed?

Only “engine cover” I’ve ever really liked the looks of 😉

1698425011376.jpeg

agree. nothing beats a sweet valve cover and intake. The lexus was shockingly ugly underneath the cover. I kept it for resale, and that was worth it.

But when you park it or drive slow, it's a foil wrapped fish on the grille. I prefer to not bake the fuel rail and other underhood sensors and components. I have shut down with orange glowing exhaust at times,

And given BMW reliability records - I don't
put too much stock in their engineering acumen of late.

My H.S. friend just this week sold his 750 li hot V twin turbo V8 at the advice of his mechanic. $95k sticker for
$6,900.

I did greatly enjoy my 1998 M roadster I picked up used in 2001. Best Sports car for the price, IMO

similar -

View attachment 185390
What year and miles on the BMW?

All those covers do is hold the heat in, and not desirable.
The reason for them is to make it look simple and not so cluttered under the hood.

Reactions: D60
I've heard nothing but terrible stories about BMW V8s. I wouldn't have touched one of those with a 10-ft pole
I wouldn't touch it either. Plus its a hot V design with exhaust in the valley instead of on the outside of the heads,
Talk about an EZ bake oven.
IIRC, due to a class action lawsuit, BMW was on the hook for any issue on that engine to 125K miles.
Right after purchase my friend brought it in for a check up, they replaced gaskets, injectors and a large
"smart" battery. All No Charge. He also bought a service contract for $2000.
Roomy car in the back, but it's no vintage S class, IMO

When I open my hood it's to do something mechanical. Don't care what it looks like under there, I care that it's reliable.

Now if you have a trailer queen or go to car shows and sit around with your hood popped open to show off (caution -- this can result in retraining orders and being a RSO) I get it. That's a different use case, but for me an engine isn't a decoration. YMMV

Back