Safe to run engine with top plastic cover removed?

Is it safe to run my car with the top plastic engine cover, seen below, removed? If not, why?

2016 .jpg

If anything it keeps debris off. I know a lot of folks complain about the "Beauty cover" but It can't be that hard to remove.
  • Also, it designates what the engine is so it's an "information cover" as well IMO. In this instance it's a BMW Twin Turbo Power.
  • Some covers like on the Volvo I picked up show 3.2L as an example since it came with different engines this is something of a simple notification at the very least.
  • On my Volvo again it has a good thick layer of foam as a sound insulator. Do you want a louder engine sound?
  • I'd leave it.

yes, it is there for appearances purposes, sound deadening and hold heat so the engine get to operating temperatures faster. if you are wanting to remove it because your engine is running hotter than usual, thats not the issue. if you have inspected everything and coolant quality and level is good. its probably a air flow issue. either your fans are weak or the radiator/condenser is dirty and restricting airflow.

I just like being able to see my engine; nothing more than that. If it's a little louder with the cover removed, no worries. I just wanted to know if there was any technical/safety reason it needed to stay on. I always ran my old VW and Mercedes with the covers removed; it just made access to everything much easier.

I took mine off, the engine was running too hot in the summer, then found massive a mouse nest underneath.
So its a mouse motel roof not an engine cover, lol

It's main purpose is dress up, then keeps water spray off myriad electrical connexions - FI and coil -
lastly a noise mitigator- such as fuel rail hammer.

Engine runs too hot as it is - I would loose it.

But I was the guy in the employee parking lot with his hood open after a 20min, 85mph Ricky Rudd interstate jaunt.

It's amazing how that makes people angry - like they are missing some big secret so they want to debunk my process.

I just like being able to see my engine; nothing more than that. If it's a little louder with the cover removed, no worries. I just wanted to know if there was any technical/safety reason it needed to stay on. I always ran my old VW and Mercedes with the covers removed; it just made access to everything much easier.
No safety reason, but IMO the N57 isn't much to look at.

If it helps keep heat off the hood I'd leave it.

Some engines also use them to improve under hood air flow. Can’t imagine it makes a big difference.

i-bTr6pW2-L.jpg

No safety reason, but IMO the N57 isn't much to look at.

If it helps keep heat off the hood I'd leave it.
I'll look under it later today. If there is any insulation, I'll leave it. If not, I'm going to remove it. Can't imagine plastic does much as a heat shield..

I'll look under it later today. If there is any insulation, I'll leave it. If not, I'm going to remove it. Can't imagine plastic does much as a heat shield..
Depends on how the air flows around it. If one side has air moving and the other doesn't a layer of plastic can be an effective barrier by itself.

• Also, it designates what the engine is so it's an "information cover" as well IMO. In this instance it's a BMW Twin Turbo Power.

Not really. They all say BMW TwinPower Turbo.

Could be an N20 under that cover. Or an N55.

Could even be an N63, which actually has two turbos.

Its a BMW isn't it? :p

This cover may not be as detailed as some covers but a lot of times you see a good reference to what engine it is. Regardless, I still vote to leave it on for the various reasons I already mentioned.

Occasionally you'll find a car such as the '08+ Malibus where you really shouldn't run it without the plastic engine cover. Because the cover incorporates part of the intake tubing. I can't remember if the MAF is attached to the cover, or to the tubing before the cover, but regardless the cover attaches directly to the TB.

Back