Pistol question

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are a couple of random semiauto pistol suggestions that work for me, a generally recoil averse, revolver guy:

ruger lcp2 22lr. a week old, i've put almost 400 rounds of various ammo through it. federal bulk was problematic, but all cci types, standard and above, and federal premium types ran well. i know that most folks don't like 22lr for a ccw, but based on my locales and routines, a 22lr on me that i can hit with from round #1 trumps something bigger left at home. i would love to see a ruger lcp in 32acp; 380acp in this small piece is more oomph than i am comfortable practicing with.

s&w shield ez 380acp. 100% easy in all aspects, exactly as advertised. a "one and done" semiauto pistol, ideal for non gunners, revolver guys, physically challenged, seniors or anyone wanting a smoothly pleasant handgun experience. a little big to be the handiest ccw, but with right holster, sure. i haven't tried the ez 9mm, but it could be right for persons seeking more oomph and cheaper ammo.

and an off the wall suggestion:

ruger blackhawk convertible 357mag/38sp/9mm single action revolver. built like a brick outhouse. soft shooter even with powerhouse magnums. cheap plinker with 9mm ammo. slower shooter that forces better aim. "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

Yeah, ever since I've seen the LCP II in 22lr I've been wanting one, all the reasons you state. 22lr is darn close to recoil-less, but every review of a 22 revolver mentions an awful trigger, so I'm left thinking rimfire is better as a SA revolver or rifle, or as a regular autoloader. YMMV.

As I go through scenarios I find myself wondering why they don't make a 32acp version, seems like they could hit 7+1 with that and I'd be rather content with the various trade-offs. YMMV of course. But like you say, seems like a win to me in that platform. Maybe Ruger will explore that, the 380 sells nicely, I think the 22 will sell well, and I wonder if market demand might incite some demand for a between caliber. Caliber wars be darned, a great deal of sales are to people who didn't take a side in 9mm vs 45acp.

Interestingly enough, I did spend the last day or two wondering about a GP100 (Ruger's Newport is but a town from me, so it's like supporting local business, right?). Some quick looking shows problems with their 7 round versions in 38 but their 6 shooter has quite the following. Zero usability as a CCW of course.

Dunno. I tend to get fixated on an idea then have second thoughts later. Which I guess is ok as long as the second thoughts come before spending any actual money.

I really like the .327 Federal as a cartridge.

The fact that you can shoot .32 H&R Magnum and .32 S&W in a revolver chambered for .327 Federal makes it versatile (it's the same with .460S&W, .454 Casull and .45 Colt)

It's got good ballistics, too. About the same as .38 Special for ME and performance, the result of having .357 Magnum velocity (if not bullet weight), but with less recoil than either.

I don't know how I would use a revolver in .327, but "how will you use it" isn't a question that needs to be answered for every gun purchase...

Originally Posted by supton
Problem is, for 32acp, it lacks enough umph that one needs self defense rounds. Been a while since I read the various ballistics but I believe FMJ is probably the way to go, in a short barrel 32acp. YMMV.

FMJ is often preferred by 32 auto owners, and it's a good choice. Seecamp owners basically can't run it, but everyone else can.

Neither ballistic gel testing nor data from actual shootings support the notion that the 32 automatic is not enough.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Neither ballistic gel testing nor data from actual shootings support the notion that the 32 automatic is not enough.

That's sort of like saying "Is the 30-06 enough to take a cape buffalo?" (assuming it was legal) Absolutely! Is it the preferred caliber? Absolutely Not!

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Problem is, for 32acp, it lacks enough umph that one needs self defense rounds. Been a while since I read the various ballistics but I believe FMJ is probably the way to go, in a short barrel 32acp. YMMV.

FMJ is often preferred by 32 auto owners, and it's a good choice. Seecamp owners basically can't run it, but everyone else can.

Yep, the wife shoots Fiocchi FMJs in her Keltec P32acp

I know why I was thinking of a smaller gun & caliber. I wanted something that I could more easily shoot one-handed. I don't mind a long heavy trigger pull but to hit anything I have do a proper two handed grip and concentrate--easy to do in the backyard, perhaps not so easy under pressure. No I'm not looking to do James Bond style shooting. But my review of various videos show a lot of people having to readjust their grip after every shot on the smaller guns, and that was even with a two handed hold. If not shoot one handed then just something with less recoil.

I'd hit up the gun rental place but I'm not sure it's actually more cost effective than buying used and trading as I go along. Maybe it is, but it is more fun to buy.
smile.gif

I've carried a Gen 2, non-custom LCP in a leather pocket holster quite a bit and never ran into a problem re accidentally tripping the mag release.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I really like the .327 Federal as a cartridge.

The fact that you can shoot .32 H&R Magnum and .32 S&W in a revolver chambered for .327 Federal makes it versatile (it's the same with .460S&W, .454 Casull and .45 Colt)

It's got good ballistics, too. About the same as .38 Special for ME and performance, the result of having .357 Magnum velocity (if not bullet weight), but with less recoil than either.

I don't know how I would use a revolver in .327, but "how will you use it" isn't a question that needs to be answered for every gun purchase...

True enough. If you want one 'cause you want one ... rock out.
Personally I choose the .380 for a pocket pistol, partly for the ballistics for its carry size/convenience, and partly for the availability and price of ammunition.
As is, I've got enough calibers and gauges to feed, so I tend to lean toward my new purchases being in the "cheaper to feed" category, at least re practice ammo. On a cumulative basis, I spend a lot more for range ammo than for carry ammo, as the latter has a higher per-unit cost ... but I go through more volume in the practice rounds.
JMO & JME, YMMV

Originally Posted by bubbatime
As a gun carrier, I find the LCP to be an absolute necessity in any gun collection, for folks that carry 365 days a year. Its not my every day carry firearm, but I do carry one probably once or twice a month while wearing a bathing suit and I'm just running to grab some milk or something. It fits, when nothing else will. It allows you to carry A gun, rather than be unarmed.

There are hundreds of different types of guns, and they all have their use. The LCP fits the bill as a deep concealment pistol, and it does it well. Mine has never jammed once. Ever. Its very reliable. My collection will always have one.

Glock 42 .380- Its a lot bigger than an LCP. It also shoots a lot nicer. Yes, its a better gun. But like I said above, the LCP and the G42 kind of serve different purposes. The G42 is not as good of a deep concealment pistol. I've owned hundreds of pistols, and still own dozens, and THIS G42 pistol is my most carried. Its just flat out a good carry gun. Reliable, fast follow up shots, easy to shoot, reasonable ballistics. I'm a BIG fan of the G42 pistol. I think its a better gun than the larger G43 as well...

If you are trying to find a smaller pistol to carry than a LCR, then the LCP is probably a good choice for you.

One other note, the LCR is rather largish, compared to the similar Smith & Wesson 642/442. I've carried the Smith j-frames for years as well, and found them to be much easier to carry and conceal than the Ruger LCR. The Ruger trigger guard is larger, its rubber grip is much larger, and a lot harder to conceal, than the standard j-frame grip. If you like the revolver format, than check out a Smith 642 or 442 or shrouded hammer 638. I think most people find the Smith easier to conceal than the Ruger.

Heel release is very rare these days. Hard to find, and usually only on obsolete and/or ancient firearms.

Concur. The 42 is a fine little gun and a lot of fun to shoot.
But for pocket carry, I'll take the LCP.
Feel the same about the LCR, and I've had one and still have a SW M42.
Wheel guns are fun, and I must have a few ... but for truly low-profile and ease of carry, a good subcompact .380 is a very nice thing to have.

I know why I was thinking of a smaller gun & caliber. I wanted something that I could more easily shoot one-handed. I don't mind a long heavy trigger pull but to hit anything I have do a proper two handed grip and concentrate—

Gotcha. For low recoil and easier to control or hold on to, _definitely_ look at a 32 auto. Something like a Walther PP or PPK, a 1903 Colt (either old or the current-production ones), or similar will give you a bigger (taller) grip and more weight, both of which will make recoil control easier. The Kel-Tecs are easier to hide, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back