Pissed off home buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold my upstate NY home to someone from NYC who will use it as a second home. They said it was OK to leave some stuff. We left some good furniture (nothing beat or broken) expecting that it would help out the buyers. They would be able to sleep at the house before buying any new furniture. I should also point out that their lenders attorney could be not get everything together for the agreed upon closing date and it was moved at the last minute which cost me around $2500 in extra expenses.

The buyer had a walkthrough three days before closing when I was still living there (I did not see the point in the early walkthrough). Closing was done remotely. A few days after the closing the buyer had a hissy fit with respect to the furniture I had left. I suggested they donate to Habitat or list on Craigslist as "free". The buyer said they were insulted by my email. At that point I said (to myself) discussion over.

I like to treat people fairly and probably left $2500 worth of furniture. Not junk to toss in dumpster.

I have the checks for the sale but am a little upset that someone is pissed off at me over a financial transaction.

I sold my upstate NY home to someone from NYC who will use it as a second home. They said it was OK to leave some stuff. We left some good furniture (nothing beat or broken) expecting that it would help out the buyers. They would be able to sleep at the house before buying any new furniture. I should also point out that their lenders attorney could be not get everything together for the agreed upon closing date and it was moved at the last minute which cost me around $2500 in extra expenses.

The buyer had a walkthrough three days before closing when I was still living there (I did not see the point in the early walkthrough). Closing was done remotely. A few days after the closing the buyer had a hissy fit with respect to the furniture I had left. I suggested they donate to Habitat or list on Craigslist as "free". The buyer said they were insulted by my email. At that point I said (to myself) discussion over.

I like to treat people fairly and probably left $2500 worth of furniture. Not junk to toss in dumpster.

I have the checks for the sale but am a little upset that someone is pissed off at me over a financial transaction.
They sound like childish ingrates. Laugh them off and tell them to have a nice life.

They have nothing to say if they didn't do a walk through. Especially if you agreed to leave a few things.

And this is why the last time I bought and sold a house we had written into the contract exactly what was going to come with the house and what was not, both on the sale of our old home and the purchase of the new one... It didn't leave this kind of wiggle room...

Instead of I'm going to leave some things, it was, I am going to leave this item, that item, and this one. Everything else goes... Agreed to and signed in the purchase agreement.

You didn't use an attorney on your end? Using attorneys in real estate transactions is very regional in my experience. North Jersey uses attorneys but they are not typically used in South Jersey. What is the typical situation in upstate NY where you are?

When I sold my mother's house the buyer's wife loved this giant mirror we had in the dining room. At closing she decided she didn't like it and wanted it off the wall. Her husband compromised with me and we worked together and took it off the wall and moved it into the basement. My attorney said they knew it was there and there's nothing in the contract that says it has to be removed but I'm a nice guy.

Overall, it should be clear what will be left in the house and what will be removed at closing. I've never experienced a closing at the actual house so whether it was remote or face to face in an office it's still "remote".

When I sold my mother's house the buyer's wife loved this giant mirror we had in the dining room. At closing she decided she didn't like it and wanted it off the wall. Her husband compromised with me and we worked together and took it off the wall and moved it into the basement. My attorney said they knew it was there and there's nothing in the contract that says it has to be removed but I'm a nice guy.

Overall, it should be clear what will be left in the house and what will be removed at closing. I've never experienced a closing at the actual house so whether it was remote or face to face in an office it's still "remote".
There was a movie with Richard Pryor called Moving ...

"We're taking it with us!"

...and if I bought the house I would just post them on CL and make a few bucks if I didn't like it for my personal use.
Yeah but it's another hassle the buyer wasn't planning on. "OK to leave some stuff" had different meanings for the seller and buyer. Overall, it's not a big deal.

But now they might have to perform physical labor to carry the items to the curb.
if they are that lazy then they are paying movers to move their stuff in...and you can easily offer a couple extra green backs, and the stuff will quickly find its way outside

I would avoid communicating with them all together.

I'm guessing these items were not mentioned in the sales contract?

if they are that lazy then they are paying movers to move their stuff in...and you can easily offer a couple extra green backs, and the stuff will quickly find its way outside
I agree but I have seen it. With the time people spend complaining they could have had the job done.

wow - "people! they are the worse.... Seinfeld"

I would avoid communicating with them all together.
Yeap, I don't take part in anyone's drama. Donald told the buyer he was leaving some things and apparently there was no objection (maybe a lack of details though....). He will never have contact with them again so if it were me, I'd have already moved on.

Send them the bill for $2500 that the attorney incurred by dragging his feet. They just burned a bridge if they needed your help with something about the house.

About a week after I sold my mother's house I received a call from the new buyers with a question. He wanted to know what these things on the wall were in the bedrooms:

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back