Buyers' failed to "close" on Monday

House closed today. 36 days past the original closing date. Closing took 4.5 hours. One of the Buyer's came to closing with an expired driver license, which is not acceptable. Then it was discovered the couple were not legally married, so all the loan documents needed to be revised. Quite a circus I was told. I was on a five plus hour flight, so I missed it all. Our attorney had my Wife's and my power of attorney to navigate the challenges.

Congratulations on the sale!

All is well.
you should write a book this guy did
image_2022-09-01_074918193.jpg

In Illinois, expired driver's licenses are normal, and are completely acceptable as far as the state is concerned. C-19 has turned the Secretary of State's office (aka the DMV) into a circus side show, and the 88 year old head of the SOS office has "extended" driver's license renewals to December 31, 2022. He's 88 years old, and is completely out of touch with reality. Thankfully, he's decided not to run for re-election.

You can have a driver's license that expired on January 1, 2020, and it is fine and dandy in Illinois.

• Illinois driver’s licenses, instruction permits and identification cards that have an expiration date between January 1, 2020 and December 1, 2022 have been extended until December 1, 2022.

I don't know what state the expired drivers license was from. It might not have been from Illinois. I am going through the airport right now, not sure TSA will accept a expired id. Not sure the title company rules allow a expired id. Good question.

PXL_20220901_153416441.jpg

I don't know what state the expired drivers license was from. It might not have been from Illinois. I am going through the airport right now, not sure TSA will accept a expired id. Not sure the title company rules allow a expired id. Good question.
If the agency that issued an ID says it's not expired, then technically it's not an expired ID. I have a parking sticker like that too, instead of a new one every two years they just said ignore that expiration date, it's now good for another 2 years.

If the agency that issued an ID says it's not expired, then technically it's not an expired ID. I have a parking sticker like that too, instead of a new one every two years they just said ignore that expiration date, it's now good for another 2 years.
I have a post on here from the past at Harrisburg pa airport where TSA didn't allow my wife to pass security because her valid and current driver's license had a mailing address on it from another state.

Technically does not matter so much unless it is a court of law. It is whatever the rules of the agency in need of the Id is.

Also, notary will have the follow the law in the state where they are licensed or registered to operate.

Wasn't that mostly driven by Covid though ? And now that everyone sees that it's possible, it's continued this way....
I have never sat down with either the seller or buyer in two different states and four transactions going back to 2008.

House closed today. 36 days past the original closing date. Closing took 4.5 hours. One of the Buyer's came to closing with an expired driver license, which is not acceptable. Then it was discovered the couple were not legally married, so all the loan documents needed to be revised. Quite a circus I was told. I was on a five plus hour flight, so I missed it all. Our attorney had my Wife's and my power of attorney to navigate the challenges.
It always amazes me how some people make it through life being SUCH A MESS of a human being? Expired driver's license? Forgot to tell someone you weren't legally married? Are they able to wipe their own ass? I'm glad it is done!

Someone once asked me what single attribute contributed most to my success in life? I thought about it and things like being smart, working hard, a little bit of luck, etc all went through my head. I settled on I have a clue and most other people do not. It's not actually all that hard to get ahead in a world full of clueless people and even simple things like showing up to a closing with a valid driver's license and having accurately reported my marital status are both starts to a successful life.

Last edited:
I have never sat down with either the seller or buyer in two different states and four transactions going back to 2008.
We sat down with the seller of our current home on purchase day to sign all in one room at the title company. Just received a letter addressed to the previous owner (now 5 years later) that we just went and dropped off to her at her new address. My wife stayed and chatted for 5 minutes or so.

I'm in a town of 70K people, so it's small enough to be able to do these things.

In Illinois, expired driver's licenses are normal, and are completely acceptable as far as the state is concerned. C-19 has turned the Secretary of State's office (aka the DMV) into a circus side show, and the 88 year old head of the SOS office has "extended" driver's license renewals to December 31, 2022. He's 88 years old, and is completely out of touch with reality. Thankfully, he's decided not to run for re-election.

You can have a driver's license that expired on January 1, 2020, and it is fine and dandy in Illinois.

• Illinois driver’s licenses, instruction permits and identification cards that have an expiration date between January 1, 2020 and December 1, 2022 have been extended until December 1, 2022.
And how about other states? In many driving with an expired license in like driving with no license at all. Then any auto insurance policy I have ever had said "license drivers" operating insured motor vehicle.

Back