Pissed off home buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put it behind you, you've undoubtly got lots to deal with at your new place. If they persist and you feel you must reply remind them that their delayed closing cost you $2500 that you'd be happy to receive from them. Then be done.

If it was in the contract you were leaving items and was agreed upon and closing has taken place.. tell them to pound sand.

I can see how you are upset, a home is very personal and you felt good about passing it on to someone new only for them to not like you for the rest of their lives.
Nothing much you can do and I agree with others, let it go, do not communicate with them in anyway, "lesson learned" in time you will forget about it.

They closed on house without viewing it and seeing it properly empty, if they had an attorney he let them close on it without it being viewed empty and if it wasnt empty he could have held money in escrow until it was.

The bottom line is the house closed as is and it is their home now and everything in it. Not yours

Also get over the $2,500. I dont know if you used a real estate agent but typical NYS contracts closing is set on an "on or about" date. Which typically gives the buyer a 30 day leeway. Also a buyer can not close or be forced to close if the bank doesnt finance the deal and as you state, this was the bank.

I dont mean to sound cold. Im much like you in that sense, sounds like you took pride in your home and the sale. With that said I have done an extensive amount of real estate transactions in downstate NY on Long Island. So just pointing out what is most likely typical wording in your contract and possible variations. Update NY can be different, downstate closing dates are typically "always on or about".
South Carolina, NOT SO !*LOL* Closing date is the closing date! But in reality, if the bank is not ready buyer cant be held responsible.

Last edited:
Sold a mint gorgeous sailboat to a man and wife , I told broker " I want no contact with them that's what you are for ".
At the closing they insisted on meeting me . Apparently they knew nothing about sailing and wanted me to take them out a few times to teach them . LOL .
I'm in the Great Lakes , they were going to live on it in the Caribbean. I'm guessing I would shed a tear if I saw the boat today .
Brokers , Realtors, salesman etc need to do their job. That's what their commission is for

People can become complete idiots with home sales. The house I live in now was purchased from another dentist who was retiring. You'd think he'd be nice since we're in the same profession. The house was on the market for 4 days when we put in a bid at the asking price. The offer was accepted and a closing date was set on a rather aggressive schedule. Part of the agreement was the boiler needed to be replaced and some other work needed to be done - which they agreed to do. Three weeks later and two days before the closing my bank said they needed to push the closing date 2 days - something with UW but everything was all set.

This guy had a complete and total hissy fit - screaming and yelling full-on meltdown - mind you the house was still going to close less than a month from the day it was put on the market. We delayed it 2 days and then the day before the closing we find out NONE of the work had been done and now he needed TWO more WEEKS before he could get the work completed. I was not a douche like he was, however.

He left in a hurry and was moving into his house on The Cape but left some boxes in the basement. In those boxes were, and I'm not exaggerating here, hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars of gambling receipts from the last 30 years. This guy would go to Foxwoods and blow $5-50K at a time.

People can really suck sometimes.

P.S. His daughter still lives in town. We had a yard sale last year and she stopped by gushing about all the improvements we made. She got all teary-eyed as this was the house she grew up in. She asked if she could see the inside - I quickly said no and walked away - partly because she is a stranger, partly because of CV-19, but partly because her dad is an ass.

People can become complete idiots with home sales. The house I live in now was purchased from another dentist who was retiring. You'd think he'd be nice since we're in the same profession. The house was on the market for 4 days when we put in a bid at the asking price. The offer was accepted and a closing date was set on a rather aggressive schedule. Part of the agreement was the boiler needed to be replaced and some other work needed to be done - which they agreed to do. Three weeks later and two days before the closing my bank said they needed to push the closing date 2 days - something with UW but everything was all set.

This guy had a complete and total hissy fit - screaming and yelling full-on meltdown - mind you the house was still going to close less than a month from the day it was put on the market. We delayed it 2 days and then the day before the closing we find out NONE of the work had been done and now he needed TWO more WEEKS before he could get the work completed. I was not a douche like he was, however.

He left in a hurry and was moving into his house on The Cape but left some boxes in the basement. In those boxes were, and I'm not exaggerating here, hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars of gambling receipts from the last 30 years. This guy would go to Foxwoods and blow $5-50K at a time.

So that’s where my Apico money went!

I have done the same thing when selling property - buyer agreed to me leaving some items. The items were documented and both parties signed the final agreement, no troubles at closing. Always use a lawyer when selling real estate.

I bet most of us have a similar story to tell at closing time with real estate transactions. If it goes through perfectly with everyone smiling and hugging, you're the minority.

I had to sadly sell my mom's house in FLA fully furnished. Remote buyer, no home inspection (!?)
I said I was taking a couple special items. The Realtor did a live remote video walkthrough with the buyer, a shill for her father, just hours before I permanently left the property. Then weeks later I heard some complaints relayed from the Realtor that so many items were left behind.
I said to myself " what a bunch of twits!" and then, "too bad for them poor babies."
Then I forgot about it forever.
Until just now

Buyers can suck too! When I sold my house in CT the walkthrough was in the late afternoon the day before the closing. We had the house professionally cleaned which was not required and it looked great. We had a shed in the backyard with some wood behind it that had honestly been there from the previous owner and in 6 years of living there didn't think much about it because it was totally hidden. I get a call from the agent saying the buyers want the wood removed from behind the shed or they won't close. I'm at work 125 miles away and it's 4:30 PM on a Tuesday. This was the first time hearing about this "issue". My agent ended up driving to the house in her husband's truck and moving the wood in high heels. It wasn't even a lot of wood. I think these transactions bring out people's little weewees and power/inferiority complexes.

P.S. His daughter still lives in town. We had a yard sale last year and she stopped by gushing about all the improvements we made. She got all teary-eyed as this was the house she grew up in. She asked if she could see the inside - I quickly said no and walked away - partly because she is a stranger, partly because of CV-19, but partly because her dad is an ass.
I gamble often but there's no receipts. Guess I'm too low level and gamble with hundreds not thousands.

My son told me the new owners of his mother's house where he spent his formative years did a nice job improving it. I asked how he knew. He said he knocked on the door, told him he used to live there and the new elderly couple invited him in and gave him a tour. LOL. But I'm like you, I don't like anyone in my house.

I bet most of us have a similar story to tell at closing time with real estate transactions. If it goes through perfectly with everyone smiling and hugging, you're the minority.
My problems have never been with the people, it is always with the bank or something waiting until the last minute to realize their is some problem that should have been found weeks ago.

Reactions: JTK
I gamble often but there's no receipts. Guess I'm too low level and gamble with hundreds not thousands.
I don't gamble and so it was strange to me - these were printed receipts from Foxwoods that stated how much cash he had taken out/chips he purchased. He kept every single one and in no particular order. They were all just stuffed into three different boxes. If I lost that much the last things I'd want is to be reminded of it.

My son told me the new owners of his mother's house where he spent his formative years did a nice job improving it. I asked how he knew. He said he knocked on the door, told him he used to live there and the new elderly couple invited him in and gave him a tour. LOL. But I'm like you, I don't like anyone in my house.
We had that happen several years after we bought our current house. The selling family was selling because the father had died. Apparently the late teens/early 20's son had a falling out with the mother and her new boyfriend (who was an idiot). He showed up at the door one day probably 5 years after the sale and introduced himself. He explained the situation and that his mom wouldn't give him anything from his father and there was an old tackle box that he thought might have been left behind. I told him I didn't find a tackle box, but there was a big trekking backpack and tent in the attic of the garage that was left and had been sitting there since we moved in. I got it down and he started crying when I gave it to him. Apparently he and his Father used it to go camping in the Boundary Waters Area every year. I never heard so many thank you's and appreciation from someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back