Pickups vs Sedans

Exactly why I don't like 20" rims on LT's … I tend to drive bad roads, off road some, and yes take a corner too sharp and get some curb ! 275's on 18" rims work for me …

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
....What is selling these days? I find it hard to believe people are buying tons of $50K trunks. May be it's more like $30K trunks. I would be hesitate to haul lumber in $50K+ trunk.

Paul

A $50,000 crew cab pickup is America's favorite large Lifestyle Vehicle.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...ubled-over-the-last-decade/#6b89923f77c3

...Big pickup truck deliveries swelled by 123 percent since 2009, according to the automotive information company Edmunds' annual Truck Report.

...The average pickup truck transaction price now stands at nearly $50,000 - that's 41 higher than it was a decade earlier.

...Where basic two door "standard cab" models once accounted for the majority of all pickups sold, today Edmunds says a whopping 81 percent of all pickups driven off dealers' lots are more-accommodating four-door "crew cab" configurations.

...the base suggested retail price for a half-ton GMC Sierra 1500 pickup in 2019 was $31,195, the average out-the-door transaction was at $58,571, according to Edmunds data, with a quarter of them reportedly being pricey luxury-oriented Denali models.

...The Ford F-150 started at $29,750 last year, but its average selling price was $53,409.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by gregk24
I've always been a sedan guy. Not interested in driving around a $60,000 gas hog with a pickup bed that I might use 0.5% of the time. No need.

Man what a worthless comment. How many $60000 trucks are bought? Mine for sure was no where near $60000. It cost about the same as a base GT Mustang or Honda Accord. It's a mid trim level.

Well just as there are base level cars, there are also base level trucks. But the bigger trucks/suvs loaded up can easily hit 60-100k.

The trucks hitting 60K MSRP are actually sold closer to 50K and are not even close to volume leaders.

I am working on an invention, something that has the ability to haul something behind your vehicle yet disconnects when you dont need it. That way you can have something with a comfortable back seat, enclosed cargo area yet have the ability to have the function of a pickup bed when you need it.

Hmmm....I do believe I am headed to early retirement!

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool
I am working on an invention, something that has the ability to haul something behind your vehicle yet disconnects when you dont need it. That way you can have something with a comfortable back seat, enclosed cargo area yet have the ability to have the function of a pickup bed when you need it.

Hmmm....I do believe I am headed to early retirement!

I have a couple of those. I still bought a truck... My kids aren't old enough to realize the back seat in my truck is supposed to be comfortable, lol, and the truck got a cap too. I could have gone for something like a Suburban I guess, 'cuz those are cheaper than 4 door pickups...

If I didn't have my truck I'd have to hook up a trailer on a weekly basis to run trash to the dump. Which would entail the typical nuisance of backing it up someplace, dropping it off, then hitching to my 4 wheeler so I could park it out in the woods ('cuz a typical sedan won't put the trailer where it needs to go).

No perfect vehicle solution out there...

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

First world problems.

Hate to say it, but I'm currently in the market for a truck as well.
Doing some restorative work on the BMW. Rented a garage to do the work, but hauling air compressors and cherry pickers is far easier with a small truck than trying to negotiate something into the Lexus. Been pricing out small trucks like Rangers and Mazda B series. Mostly considering only ones with extended cab.

A truck the size of a Ranger or Mazda B series (i.e. of that era) - in single cab - is a really small-interior truck, for sure. I agree, extended cab is the only way to go. What I would like is a Toyota Tacoma... 4 cyl 2WD with 5 speed manual... 2.7 litres L4 engine. They DO have those crummy small dia. wheels - but here in Vancouver (limited corrosion issues - re frame corrosion) one would last and last and last. Plastic load bed too.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

First world problems.

Doing some restorative work on the BMW. Rented a garage to do the work, but hauling air compressors and cherry pickers is far easier with a small truck than trying to negotiate something into the Lexus. Been pricing out small trucks like Rangers and Mazda B series. Mostly considering only ones with extended cab.

A truck the size of a Ranger or Mazda B series (i.e. of that era) - in single cab - is a really small-interior truck, for sure. I agree, extended cab is the only way to go. What I would like is a Toyota Tacoma... 4 cyl 2WD with 5 speed manual... 2.7 litres L4 engine. They DO have those crummy small dia. wheels - but here in Vancouver (limited corrosion issues - re frame corrosion) one would last and last and last. Plastic load bed too.

What crummy small diam wheels? Not sure I follow...

I like the 14" rims my Camry has, nice and light and easy to work with. But my understanding is that the tire selection in the 14" diam region is drying up, which makes me sad... as long as I can continue to get RT43's I'll be fine though. I guess 14" wheels on trucks would lead to really low ground clearance? That could be annoying in winter.

Been eons since I was in a Taco but I kinda like the interior of my Camry. A Camry version of a Taco would work for me, albeit with 4WD of course. I've said it a few times, if Toyota made a Ridgeline competitor I'd probably have one--not that Honda got it all wrong, but rather a few details held me back (cost, timing belt, mpg, VCM, transmission details).

Originally Posted by dwcopple
I love my '19 New RAM but it's going away next week. Turning in my lease a couple months early and buying an Acura MDX with 22K on it. The RAM is awesome, but having a truck as a daily driver is freakin' stupid. Plus, the Hemi gets awful mileage.

My 2019 Ram is averaging 17-18mpg, my 300 was averaging 20-23.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by gregk24
I've always been a sedan guy. Not interested in driving around a $60,000 gas hog with a pickup bed that I might use 0.5% of the time. No need.

Man what a worthless comment. How many $60000 trucks are bought? Mine for sure was no where near $60000. It cost about the same as a base GT Mustang or Honda Accord. It's a mid trim level.

Well just as there are base level cars, there are also base level trucks. But the bigger trucks/suvs loaded up can easily hit 60-100k.

The trucks hitting 60K MSRP are actually sold closer to 50K and are not even close to volume leaders.

I was think more like a GLS 580 which stickers starting at 98k but with options would be a bit higher. But places like Audi were offering 15% off at one point so I'm sure getting 10k off the MSRP is pretty easy these days.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

First world problems.

What crummy small diam wheels? Not sure I follow...

I was just saying that the base Tacoma has a particularly small overall dia wheel/tire combination... compared to the more popular trim Tacomas... and for the size of vehicle and wheel opening size. They just look puny and unaesthetic. Functioal none the less.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I love my '19 New RAM but it's going away next week. Turning in my lease a couple months early and buying an Acura MDX with 22K on it. The RAM is awesome, but having a truck as a daily driver is freakin' stupid. Plus, the Hemi gets awful mileage.

That adds up quickly!

Would consider a P.U. if it was the size of a Chevy Luv with a small engine or as a hybrid . Not likely to see that in the future
frown.gif

That adds up quickly!

I did the math, assuming 17mpg for the truck and 20 for the 300, it's about $300 a year, or $5.77 a week. You'll likely see greater savings in the MDX though.

Reasons I don't drive a pickup. 1. Poor driving dynamics compared to a sedan or compact COV. #2. Poor fuel mileage for my 95% of in town driving. #3 I am not a gentlemen farmer so I don't need one except once or twice a year and cheap rentals are available.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Exactly why I don't like 20" rims on LT's … I tend to drive bad roads, off road some, and yes take a corner too sharp and get some curb ! 275's on 18" rims work for me …

+1

Originally Posted by GMFan
I like trucks - I get it. But to me they are so impractical as a daily commuter from a parking standpoint. I see the trucks always crammed into tiny spaces in parking decks. I'd rather have a cheap used full size pickup stashed in the driveway for weekend duty if you use often enough and a sedan or CUV for commuting to office job.

I never commuted much with mine. Weekend towing.

Originally Posted by GMFan
I like trucks - I get it. But to me they are so impractical as a daily commuter from a parking standpoint. I see the trucks always crammed into tiny spaces in parking decks. I'd rather have a cheap used full size pickup stashed in the driveway for weekend duty if you use often enough and a sedan or CUV for commuting to office job.

I never commuted much with mine. Weekend towing.

That adds up quickly!

I did the math, assuming 17mpg for the truck and 20 for the 300, it's about $300 a year, or $5.77 a week. You'll likely see greater savings in the MDX though.

My RAM has never sniffed 17mpg. Winter gas plus remote starts I was averaging 13.3. Lifetime is 15.6. It swallows fuel. The 3.6L in my 2017 I had was way better economy wise and not lacking power at all. I wanted it in the 19, but, they were delayed and they added an e-assist to them as well.

Back