Sidebysides have 4 cylinders now.

The new RZR Pro R has a 4 cylinder 2.0L NA engine with 225hp and the top model is around $40K. Of course the game will change now, and the HP wars will begin with CanAm etc.

They presold 400 of the $40K units and i think i read where they sold out in 90 seconds.

Before you think about complaining about the price.. Almost everyone will customize these to their own likings, and spend another $10-$20K in doing so. Stereos, LED lights, coolers, accessories, winches, bumpers, etc.

Also some of these guys have $80K pickups and $80K toy haulers and even buy camps in my state to ride.

I have zero issue with this. Plenty of people are into classic cars, exotic cars, harleys, boats, airplanes, jacked up trucks etc.

I live about 10 miles from the nearest Hatfield McCoy trail in WV. I see trucks and trailers pulling from many states to ride here in Wild Wonderful WV. I see Jeeps, Dune Buggies, Sidebysides.. god awful amounts of money spent to enjoy the beauty of my state. Alot of guys buy camps here as well.

I had tons of fun as a kid on a one lunger 250cc 4 wheeler without suspension, i just sold a 2019 RZR Turbo that had more power and suspension than i could ever use.. I cant imagine a 4 cylinder.. or what is to come. (supposedly a 5 speed stick in the floor).

I'm just gonna leave this here, for the budget oriented folks who still wish to have fun off the pavement...

When we go to the offroad parks in PA there's a ton of them. Very popular for sure.

Even where our offroad club has land in the Tug Hill region of NY, there are a lot of them. Last time I was camping up there someone had a turbocharged 3 cylinder with what sounded like a traditional manual transmission. That thing sounded absolutely amazing. And whoever was driving was not afraid to ring it out! Heard him run through 4 gears before flying by my tent at what had to be triple digit speeds.

Whatever floats your boat. If that's how you want to enjoy your weekends and can swing the payments, cool.

I mean, it's really just the next toy to spend money on. How many people owned choppers 15 years ago? Same thing. Wildly impractical point A-to-point A vehicles to drive on the weekend.

Actually, I wonder where all those choppers went? Are they sitting in the back of garages somewhere, unused because people are too embarrassed to be seen on them anymore? No doubt replaced by a lowered bagger.

I just bought a new Kawasaki Brute Force 750 V-twin ATV. I have Jeeps and buggies and am not really interested in SxS's.

I will say, that most we encounter on the trails in NH drive haphazardly and stop to drink when they take a break. Pisses us off every time we see it. Of course, ATV's do too, but not as often that we can see - overall, just dumb people.

Personally, they exceed the 1,000 lb and width rule of many trails and should not be on the same trails as me and my family on ATV's.
Fortunately, most trails we ride on have 50" bars between the gates for us and keeps the monster machines out.

imagine spending 40k on a stupid razr.

In 2018 i had a friend who had one and this was his a party at his ranch and him and the passenger were a bit drunk and the rzr driver/party host was going too fast and hit a hole and flipped the rzr and the passenger died on impact with the metal bar since his rzr didn't have any kind of seatbelt. Was depressing to watch a man die as someone tried to do cpr, his wife cry begging him to not die while his 3 kids were put inside the house so they couldn't watch. Yeah i ain't driving those menaces both to land and life especially for 40k ***.

I don't see what cost has to do with anything.
I spent thousands alone on the front axle of my Jeep. Tires are $2500.
My wife daily drives a Stinger GT2 vs a Rio.

It's no one's business how I spend my money and I don't really care about how others spend theirs.

What it comes down to for these things are the propensity to operate unsafely on a trail system designed for 50" max width vehicles.
Rentals are a huge business up North and last year I was almost hit head on by a family in a rental coming around the corner on the wrong side of the trail. Dad was wearing his pink collared shirt and mom had a summer dress. F'n stupid kills people.

I knew when i posted this that there would be a percentage that says its a waste of money and a percentage that would complain about safety.

There is no end to discussions about wastes of money. People buy jewelry, travel the world, wear expensive suits, and yes people live in mansions and have vacation homes. Choppers are another example... some people have race cars.. dragsters.. drag bikes.. etc. I think i heard it best when someone said "Dont complain about the price, complain about your life decisions".

As far as the alcohol is concerned.. yes its gonna happen. Just go to any boat regatta, or drive by any biker bar.. "Play Stupid Games Win Stupid Prizes" is always in play.

For what its worth you can buy a motorcycle with a 454 V8.. and i think they even have supercharged ones.

- side note- Sidebysides can be legal to drive on the road in my state.. but i cant buy some cool european diesel cars because they dont pass emissions... how do sidebysides pass emissions?

imagine spending 40k on a stupid razr.

In 2018 i had a friend who had one and this was his a party at his ranch and him and the passenger were a bit drunk and the rzr driver/party host was going too fast and hit a hole and flipped the rzr and the passenger died on impact with the metal bar since his rzr didn't have any kind of seatbelt. Was depressing to watch a man die as someone tried to do cpr, his wife cry begging him to not die while his 3 kids were put inside the house so they couldn't watch. Yeah i ain't driving those menaces both to land and life especially for 40k ***.
Imagine blaming the SxS in this story

Poor choice to spend money on. You can buy a small pick up for that kind of money. But then it is not my money that is wasted.
Was thinking the same thing. I’d rather a truck and a NICE MTB. I know one can’t get as far or as deep without fuel power, but Id prefer the exercise.

Back