Pick a Nissan V8 4x4 family hauler.

Only downside to this mill I've seen.

I found a permanent fix for it though - even in california.

There is a company called "Cajun B pipes" that makes a bolt in replacement for the nissan stock piece.

It flows a little freer than the stuck stuff and is built a ton better.

The Magnaflow part was more money and leaked brand new out of the box - garbage.
That's some good info. Thank you!

I assume they know they will have to put 2-3 grand in case stuff breaks/maintenance stuff.

5.6 is a good engine, and I’ve seen a few past 200k….

I ran a boat shop for about a decade and the titan served as the shop truck for about half of that towing heavy loads to and from lakes with far more frequency than any regular guy could ever do.

Make sure you get the " big tow" kit with the higher axle and bigger coolers.

Here some info - most dont know.

Nissan gears the trans differently than the Americans -the big tow set up up has a comparatively low 3:34(6?) rear end but the lower geared trans calcs out to match a 4:11 setup on an American truck.

This means you can get SIGINFICANTlY more pulling or out of box improvement with upping the axle to a 3:55, 3:73 or 4:11, or 4:56 - and still be able to drive it. Or If you want to put huge tires on it- you can gear it to work. You've got "4 stages" of oomph you can add.

I had almost 100 clients that drove and towed to the same desert lake and rivers and saw dozens of Big 3 trucks small block trucks with clapped out top ends form the sustained desert climbs and heat. Never saw a 5.6 vehicle wear out a top end no matter how much it towed.

Last edited:
That's some good info. Thank you!

The cat weld was just a bit sloppy but it has the magic part # from Cali that makes it smog legal.

They can be repaired but it will happen gain on the stock units.

If you ever go look at one - insist on seeing it start from a completely dead cold overnight start so you can listen for a tick. Warming it up prior to sale makes the tick go away (in most cases) so guys buy ricks with cracked exhausts and dont realize it till well after.

Feel free to negotiate this out from an under a price , just like car with a timing belt due.

IMG_4564.jpeg

Ok, so no specifics? And probably no personal experience either?

As I mentioned in the initial message - price is the biggest limitation. Given your extensive knowledge and experience, which vehicle would you recommend for a family of 6, with 4x4 or AWD, ability to pull up to 3000lbs, and a $9000 price tag?
A sedan of some sort. Otherwise he will be getting high millage garbage. A Ford Fusion would probably be my first pick. Any of the GM sedans with the 3.8.

That vintage Titan powertrain is pretty nice and cruises nicely on the highway, but good luck finding a non clapped out Armada of that vintage. They have been mostly ran hard by the demographic you are describing. For that budget a FWD Minivan like a Grand Caravan is more in line with hauling people. 4X4? lol. Grow up :)

A friend is considering one of these 3 vehicles. Price is the biggest limitation, so trying to get the most value per dollar here. But also trying to be careful and not get a moneypit.
Do any of you have personal experience with these? Any known issue areas? The V8 Pathfinder would be ideal size (and it has the lowest mileage), but Armadas are also considered. Which one of these gets your vote and why? Thank you in advance.

OPTION 1:

OPTION 2:

OPTION 3:

Some of the misguided feedback you’ve received on this thread is amusing. I’d pick between options 2 or 3. The drivetrain is the same and like Clinebarger said - really the only major headache on these are the cracked manifolds.

If it were me, I’d start with the Pathfinder as it’s got the fewest miles and assuming your friend finds the third row usable. Fwiw, that generation pathfinder is shared with the prior gen Nissan frontier and Xterra. There are plenty examples of those going over 300k miles on that powertrain. Same with that generation of the Armadas, 2010+ were solid years and you can’t go wrong.

Really it’ll be down to prior maintenance and rust. Good luck!

User WeyounDS9 has a higher mileage V8 Pathfinder too if memory serves right.

It was a risk with mainyl 2005 to 2008 but still a smaller risk with 2009 to 2010.
Calsonic had used a new formulation for thier internal heat exchange gaskets that turned out to be weaker.
I have purchased vehicles from the f body platform from those years before and its easy to completly negate that risk,

Just replace the radiator with an after market or the new nissan parts number.They dont make the bad ones anymore.
Problem solved beofre it starts.
Aftermarket radiator is a lot cheaper and just as good. These transmissions are the equal of the very best form Toyota or MB as long as a bad radiator heat exchnager does not mix ATF with coolant.
And again if you do your research, its such a easy fix to change the raditor before it happens.
Some model years of Mercedes and Toyota had same issue (but different years)

My 2008 Pathfinder had the risky radiator parts number and I simply put in a new radiator.
Besides Older V8 powered vehicls residing in the US could probbaly do with a new radiator that the ages we are discussing anyway.

Anyone I know that owns a 2010 (ish) or 2010 (ish) armada just love'em and has lot many years miles of toruble free onwrership.

Engines the VK56DE are among the most stout made by anyone.

The one in my 2008 V8 Pathfinder has 191,000 miles, a history of hard repeat summertime towing above max weight.
Not only runs smooth but doesnt burn a drop of only.
Cannot tell a change in oil level between my 4000 mile ( if mosty in town) and my 7000 mile (if I did a lot mostly highway) oilchanges.
I had to do the drivers side exhaust manifold.
Not cheapbut included new cats which about needed changing anyway at this milage

Not just forged crankshaft, but forged pistons, forged rods, factory molybdenum sleeves, titanium valves, closed deck engine and a couple of other hard core features in the VK56 that I forget.

You Sir are shopping in the very best corner of used V8 4x4s.

Last edited:
We have a 14 Armada 4x4 that we bought new, raised 2 kids in it and it still does sport team hauler duties etc. It has 140K on it now and has been rock solid. It is a very capable vehicle with AT tires on it, has an actual 4Lo. The only issue we have had with it is that the ECU went out at 85K, a new one was 600 bucks. I do all the maintenance on it and it is easy to service, there is "skid plate" covering access to the oil filter that has to be removed to change the filter though.

I would not hesitate to buy one again. The 5.6 port fuel injected motors are rock solid, not sure about the DI ones.

My ex-wife's vehicle was a 2010 Armada Platinum. We bought it new. There was a lot to like about the vehicle and ours was trouble-free until about 120k. I had done two drop pan and refill trans fluid and used the correct fluid. Nissan trans can be an issue if you don't use the right fluid. No filter change as it's just a screen. Trans was toasted at 120k. Engine was solid and no other problems but this is not a vehicle I would recommend buying. Gas mileage highway 75 was 18 at best.

If I was looking at 2010 era similar to Armada it would be Sequoia or Expedition.

My ex-wife's vehicle was a 2010 Armada Platinum. We bought it new. There was a lot to like about the vehicle and ours was trouble-free until about 120k. I had done two drop pan and refill trans fluid and used the correct fluid. Nissan trans can be an issue if you don't use the right fluid. No filter change as it's just a screen. Trans was toasted at 120k. Engine was solid and no other problems but this is not a vehicle I would recommend buying. Gas mileage highway 75 was 18 at best.

If I was looking at 2010 era similar to Armada it would be Sequoia or Expedition.
Sir, respectfully disagree:
It not was the transmission fluid that did your trans in, but a faulty radiator heat exhcnager leading to mixing of ATF and coolant. All modern cars have this design and it has happend in other brands/models too.
Once it happens the trans goes within a day or 2.
So if u buy a used one and the tranny is good just install a non faulty Radiator (they dont make the bad ones anymore) and your fine
Sequoia and Expedition are fine vehciles but are dramatically overpriced in the used market, especially the Sequoia.
You are really talking about a differnet price class shopping then.

Last edited:
I had a 2008 Titan pickup and loved it. It was the most enjoyable truck I've ever had to drive, comfortable interior. Like others have mentioned, they are not trouble free but easily can go high mileage. I bought mine in 2020 w/ 78k miles.

Here were the issues I fixed in my ownership:

- Exhaust manifolds: went with the Cajun B-pipe and tune option. This worked out eventually but I had some teething issues. First there was an exhaust leak at the b-pipe that another shop fixed for me. After several months; I started getting a CEL(can't remember code). The tuner was awesome and tried some fixes but it kept coming back. Finally, he ended up basically tuning it so that he overrode that particular CEL. I liked the setup overall but definitely have a good shop install it(which is a pain BTW). If I were to do it again, I'm not sure which route I would go.

- Front pinion seal- easy fix

- Heater control valve- easy

- Thermostat housing cracked- easy

- Both rear calipers- easy, had a shop do that one

All of the fluid changes were easy to do, tune up was pretty straightforward. I miss that truck!

I would probably go with the one with the best service history if possible. At that mileage, hopefully its had ATF changed, coolant etc. The trans on these are very expensive, so at least check the fluid condition. Agree on watching out for coolant contamination in the ATF to! I disagree that these are money pits; not perfect but most of the ones for sale near me have 200K+ miles.

If they need the space to carry 6 individuals, might as well go with the Armada that is in the best condition (probably the one in NC) since gas mileage with the 5.6 V-8 will be similar. I'd totally discount the Pathfinder because it has had past (not minor) accident damage on the right side per the CARFAX report.

I fail to see how that recommendation matches any of the requirements I outlined...
He can't afford anything reliable for the dollars he wants to spend in an SUV .It's very simple. If he goes down the SUV path with the Armadas they will be trouble prone.

People with "financial constraints" sure make interesting decisions. For $10k there are a lot of minivans in very good condition to choose from. But instead a huge, V8 SUV with an atrocious gas mileage seems to be the only viable option. A very wise choice :rolleyes:
A mini van would be a very wise choice. If the OP wants to be helpful- this is the path they should be led down.

I just have experience with the Hardbody pickup & they were excellent. These having a V8 I'd say not to worry too much on the 150-160k mileage but the Pathfinder does have a good chunk less mileage on it. Family hauler for pulling I'd go with the Armada over the Pathfinder. Good luck!

Back