Ph7317

I'd also like to point out that "hard" nitrile probably isn't very hard when bathed in 180* motor oil.

If I can find Frams with black ADBVs locally I will commence with the slice and dice.
I have left the AC Delco nitrile in the sun for months and they remained shiny and pliable …
Nitrile has greater tensile strength - so wonder if some got out there closer to natural rubber ?

I'd also like to point out that "hard" nitrile probably isn't very hard when bathed in 180* motor oil.

If I can find Frams with black ADBVs locally I will commence with the slice and dice.
It's more about what happens when it hits -27C like it did the other night here, that's why I like having the silicone ones.

I saw an orange PH7317 with a blue ADBV in Walmart the other day and a TG7317 with a black ADBV. I also saw a PH7317 with the blue ADBV and one with a black ADBV in a different Walmart. Who knows what Fram is doing with their ADV's....maybe they don't even know.

It's also strange that Walmart charges $3.88 for the PH7317 and $4.68 for the smaller PH6607. I'll probably start using the PH7317 on the Mazda CX-30....probably buy a few with the blue ADBV....or maybe the red....but not the black.

Did we ever determine if Prickzer bought Fram?....I know they bought out WPP who makes ST synthetic in my area.

Last edited:
Who knows what Fram is doing with their ADV's....maybe they don't even know.
That's likely uncomfortably close to the truth, based on the correspondence here and some previous discussions we had about the Ultra and them being unaware of the previous construction of the filter.

They may be just trying to move product and doing whatever necessary to do that (clearly) and subbing in what's available when necessary.

I saw an orange PH7317 with a blue ADBV in Walmart the other day and a TG7317 with a black ADBV. I also saw a PH7317 with the blue ADBV and one with a black ADBV in a different Walmart. Who knows what Fram is doing with their ADV's....maybe they don't even know.

It's also strange that Walmart charges $3.88 for the PH7317 and $4.68 for the smaller PH6607. I'll probably start using the PH7317 on the Mazda CX-30....probably buy a few with the blue ADBV....or maybe the red....but not the black.

Did we ever determine if Prickzer bought Fram?....I know they bought out WPP who makes ST synthetic in my area.
Pritzker bought Champion Brands, LLC-an oil blender like WPP. That's where the confusion is coming from, too similar to FB's Champion Labs. The way First Brands is going, we're going to have to give them the "Purolator Dissemination Award" for outstanding customer service bull [CENSORED]!

And on the topic PH7317, if one is going to run one out to 10K, or even 2 Honda OCIs, over the course of a full year, a silicone ADBV would be a good idea. I know the cheap Purolator nitrile ADBVs don't last long at all, had them fail inside of 2000 miles.

Here's my anecdotal evidence regarding the lowly DL7317 Defense by Fram, on our Honda. The oil was changed way back in 2019, not by me, but I have used Defense for years on virtually all common makes and models. The MM came on this week signaling a change and no start up rattle is being detected, with a nitrile ADBV. I will disect the filter and perform an obeservation once I complete the oil change after what has been infrequent use of the vehicle over the last 3 years.

Last edited:
And on the topic PH7317, if one is going to run one out to 10K, or even 2 Honda OCIs, over the course of a full year, a silicone ADBV would be a good idea. I know the cheap Purolator nitrile ADBVs don't last long at all, had them fail inside of 2000 miles.
Purolators are all silicone now (classic, O- and boss) .

Here's my anecdotal evidence regarding the lowly DL7317 Defense by Fram, on our Honda. The oil was changed way back in 2019, not by me, but I have used Defense for years on virtually all common makes and models. The MM came on this week signaling a change and no start up rattle is being detected, with a nitrile ADBV. I will disect the filter and perform an obeservation once I complete the oil change after what has been infrequent use of the vehicle over the last 3 years.

What were the miles put on that oil filter prior to changing?

The local Walmart is decimated, I was looking for Castrol Edge Euro 5W-30. I pulled a random Fram off the shelf and not only was this switched but the ADBV is blue.

Attachments

• 2BE541D9-0AC5-40A4-BBAC-00E29D752807.jpeg
    2BE541D9-0AC5-40A4-BBAC-00E29D752807.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 75
....I pulled a random Fram off the shelf and not only was this switched but the ADBV is blue.
Another anecdote added to same previously posted this thread. Crediting member Drewby83, first to post a pic of one in adbv color thread 12/21/21. To my eye looks to be same adbv/material used on the current Champ Labs made Super Tech MP series filters. Same as Fram, Champ Labs is also owned by First Brands, that would be logical and most likely explanation. Unlike topic, confident the blue is silicone and why MP double interval 'rating' of WM ST series.

Last edited:
I did find one here in Louisville and it was black....but it was a shinny black...The box says silicone... I think it is just another color of silicone like orangs blue or black.....I cannot cut one open but I would have thought that someone on this site will or would have by now to see...

....I pulled a random Fram off the shelf and not only was this switched but the ADBV is blue.
OT Just noticed your pic attachment shows a TG box with the orange can. 'If' you pulled the orange can out of that box, sadly that would be a WM switcheroo (low life move). :(

I did find one here in Louisville and it was black....but it was a shinny black...The box says silicone... I think it is just another color of silicone like orangs blue or black.....I cannot cut one open but I would have thought that someone on this site will or would have by now to see...
I’ve seen both the black and blue adbv on the extra guard. If I get the chance I’ll grab them and cut them open

Back