Permanent DST (Daylight Savings Time)

Things are good the way they are, gosh, as Americans we have such problems, ;)
We even have to alter time so the sun is more convenient for some people.
Im good with things the way they are. One HUGE disadvantage for year round DST is school kids getting hit by cars and child molesters when its dark out in the mornings. I dont think its right to sacrifice kids for convenance and there is no doubt the human toll of kids getting hit by cars in the dark all because we artificially would change the time on our clocks...
As Americans we have too much time on our hands, life is easy and we keep inventing ways to change things around to stay busy... :unsure:
My kids already go to school in the dark in the winter and it’s dark when I drive to work and come home. I vote get rid of it.

FYI, from BTS.gov (Bureau of Transportation Statistics)
Time zones were introduced by the major railroad companies in 1883 to resolve confusion and avoid train crashes caused by different local times. As the United States entered World War I in 1918, the government delegated time zone supervision to the federal organization in charge of railroad regulation—the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC). The new concept of DST was also overseen by the ICC to assist in the war effort. Initially introduced by Germany during the war to conserve fuel and power by extending daylight hours, the United States soon followed suit.

After World War I, DST was nationally abolished but allowed to continue on a state-by-state basis. As a result, confusion and collisions caused by different local times once again became a transportation issue. In 1966, the Department of Transportation was founded to serve as a “focal point of responsibility for transportation safety” and given regulatory power over time zones and DST. DST was implemented uniformly across the Nation, with dates for the twice-yearly transitions set by law. This still holds true today. With the exception of Arizona and Hawaii, every state must continue to observe DST between March and November, unless otherwise exempted by State law.
Nobody cares about conserving fuel and power today apparently.

This would seem to be an argument to do away with DST and let nature alone.

FYI, from BTS.gov (Bureau of Transportation Statistics)

Nobody cares about conserving fuel and power today apparently.

This would seem to be an argument to do away with DST and let nature alone.
Or split the difference and next fall move 30 min back and leave it there... there is nothing magical about moving in whole hour increments... except that it would put us out of "whole hour synchronization" with most of the rest of the world...

But hey, we are brainstorming and since when has American exceptionalism cared what the rest of the world thinks?

I firmly believe in the doctrine of 'free choice' which leads to another hot button topic not to be discussed here. Let every citizen decide to observe which time setting they feel is best for them.

1647441948358.jpg

I firmly believe in the doctrine of 'free choice' which leads to another hot button topic not to be discussed here. Let every citizen decide to observe which time setting they feel is best for them.
That is a good one... "I am not late kind sir... in my reality the time is precisely 11:00... who is to say your perception of time is more valid than mine?"

Well played!

... we always ended up going back to the current system... except for AZ and HI (weirdos)...
It seemed a little absurd that states like Arizona don't spring ahead and fall back. ...
Locations that are further south (closer to the equator) have less difference in the length of a day from winter to summer. Thus less reason to change the clocks.
I can live with either. Just stick with one.
+1 to that!

Things are good the way they are, gosh, as Americans we have such problems, ;)
Im good with things the way they are. One HUGE disadvantage for year round DST is school kids getting hit by cars and child molesters when its dark out in the mornings. I dont think its right to sacrifice kids for convenance and there is no doubt the human toll of kids getting hit by cars in the dark all because we artificially would change the time on our clocks...
As Americans we have too much time on our hands, life is easy and we keep inventing ways to change things around to stay busy... :unsure:
You've described the innate human behavior of restlessness.

What say you?

Personally I am a big fan of putting an end to switching back and forth, and prefer the light in the afternoon/evening.

I am in favor!
In Canada most people like DST becuase in peak of winter sun is out by 4pmish or sooner as you head up north.... however there is 1 problem during late Fall and Winter Months the Sun rises late to begin with and now it will rise an hour later and this is always stressful for parents to see their kids having to wait for bus or walk in the dark to school, when it is already icy/foggy and there are always few reckless drivers in every hood...

However I am excited to have longer evenings hence more family outdoor time...

Back