Permanent DST (Daylight Savings Time)

There is nothing new under the sun (pun intended)... it has been tried before... during WW2 and the 70's oil crisis IIRC... and we always ended up going back to the current system... except for AZ and HI (weirdos)...

The biggest argument against is what @Duffyjr said... in far western areas of large time zones (think Minnesota)... it may not get light until 9am and people don't like the idea of their kids waiting for the bus in the dark.

I think states can elect to stay on standard all year round (see AZ and HI), but a state cannot - on its own - elect to stay on DST all year round.

I am generally in favor of what is simple and works for the most people... if given the choice I would support permanent DST...

Things are good the way they are, gosh, as Americans we have such problems, ;)
We even have to alter time so the sun is more convenient for some people.
Im good with things the way they are. One HUGE disadvantage for year round DST is school kids getting hit by cars and child molesters when its dark out in the mornings. I dont think its right to sacrifice kids for convenance and there is no doubt the human toll of kids getting hit by cars in the dark all because we artificially would change the time on our clocks...
As Americans we have too much time on our hands, life is easy and we keep inventing ways to change things around to stay busy... :unsure:

It seemed a little absurd that states like Arizona don't spring ahead and fall back. My folks have to remember sometimes we are 3 hours ahead of them for part of the year and 2 hours ahead for the rest.

One HUGE disadvantage for year round DST is school kids getting hit by cars and child molesters when its dark out in the mornings. I dont think its right to sacrifice kids for convenance and there is no doubt the human toll of kids getting hit by cars in the dark all because we artificially would change the time on our clocks..
I believe those risks are overblown, but who am I to allow a good idea to come to fruition when there emotional arguments against it?

1647438262442.png

I believe those risks are overblown, but who am I to allow a good idea to come to fruition when there are hysterical anecdotal arguments against it?
View attachment 92882
Hysterical? Ummmm.. I dont see it that way, it was a great idea, we created DST and its worked for decades and decades now some people want to change it. To me, its a talking point for politicians, we are never happy with anything. I like the change of seasons, I like it getting dark early in the winter and I love the long days of summer. (maybe I should have said this first) Then what I typed below =

Not hysterical, not overblown is only opinion, how many kids do we sacrifice would be the question, that we need a study for, then determine how many kids lives, broken bones, permanent disabilities and loss of limbs are worth it.
If its not to many, then I guess some people will be ok with it. What is not to many in a country of 350 million? A few thousand kids a year, a few hundred at the low end?
Just remember, all this was taken into account when DST was passed, now once again, we are spoiled and lets throw the kids under the bus, literally.

Last edited:
Hysterical? Ummmm.. I dont see it that way, it was a great idea, we created DST and its worked for decades and decades now some people want to change it. TO me, its a talking point for politicians, we are never happy with anything.
Fair point, I changed "hysterical" to "emotional"... "hysterical" carried a connotation I did not intend... I like more light in the afternoon, you like more light in the morning... you have kids, I have none... we can disagree without being disagreeable... as you say, we are lucky to live in a country where this is one of the things people have the luxury to worry about.

Trying find the latest “new” sunrise for the lower 48. So far I’ve found Williston, ND at 9:44am and Minot, ND at 9:35a.

Last edited:
Things are good the way they are, gosh, as Americans we have such problems, ;)
We even have to alter time so the sun is more convenient for some people.
Im good with things the way they are. One HUGE disadvantage for year round DST is school kids getting hit by cars and child molesters when its dark out in the mornings. I dont think its right to sacrifice kids for convenance and there is no doubt the human toll of kids getting hit by cars in the dark all because we artificially would change the time on our clocks...
As Americans we have too much time on our hands, life is easy and we keep inventing ways to change things around to stay busy... :unsure:
I remember missing the bus when they started doing DST in Indiana, I was in middle school and the bus decided to come way early so I was only about halfway down the street and they couldn't see me to know to wait. I wish they'd go back to not doing DST at all like we had in Indiana until 2006.

All this hand wringing about sending kids to school in the dark... My kids already go to school in the dark. Ditto for going to work. (and then most of us go home in the dark then too...)

Sunrise here in December isn't until 7:45AM as it is. Further north you go, the later that gets, along with out to the western ends of the time zones.

Hope it goes away forever. Dumbest thing with this messing with everyone's circadian rhythm twice a year.
My oldest cat refuses to to switch to DST. Every morning he wakes me up around five then around four during Standard time wanting his treat.
Does it matter? I go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark in the middle of winter.
Not really since there isn't much to do outside here in the middle of winter. I should of added I don't mind it the way it is and if it changed I'm sure I would be ok.

Back