Permanent DST (Daylight Savings Time)

I thought it was they moved to AC power instead. I guess there's nothing stopping from having a 10 year battery *and* AC power, but I'm not sure what the Venn diagram looks like for that. IMO the push for twice a year was because so many won't do it once a year--by attempting to push people 2x per year the odds are the vast majority will do it at least every other year, and thus the public is more or less safe.

That or they're in cahoots with the battery manufacturers. Probably more easy to believe that, given the how easy conspiracies are believed today.
AC power still have backup batteries that will beep when they are low.

AC power still have backup batteries that will beep when they are low.
You're right, meant to indicate AC/DC. AC wiring, with the detectors able to "talk" to each other, with batteries in each for backup.

Agree, but in the winter the mornings would stink, wouldn't get light until 9am or so.
I was going to say split the difference and have 30 minute offset from standard time, so we are in the middle of where we spring forward and fall back, permanently. Nothing says we have to be whole hour offsets from GMT.

Of course, those at the far East and West of any timezone have one extreme or the other while those in middle have a more average experience.

Any "solution" is going to create different problems.

Hundreds of thousands of computer systems will need to be patched (as they were when the dates of the change was actually changed) Problem is many companies run systems with out of support OS version and no patches will be released to stop the clocks from changing. Kerberos et al depends on synchronized clocks IIRC. Worse than having DST is to constantly muck around with when or if it occurs.

No hysteria here, just 100's of millions of $$ of non "value added" work, outages, problems.
Just move to GMT, problem solved. Many multinational customers already do this.

Everything we know is a "Human construct." We change history and time. Among other facts I won't mention. Look at the names of days of the week and months. Also, the etimyology of day. Hopefully we will continue to evolve.

Se la vie!

Everything we know is a "Human construct." We change history and time. Among other facts I won't mention. Look at the names of days of the week and months. Also, the etimyology of day. Hopefully we will continue to evolve.

Se la vie!
Just like you are trying to evolve "c'est la vie!"

Sorry, my pedantic nature got the best of me. I do agree with your sentiment.

All this hand wringing about sending kids to school in the dark... My kids already go to school in the dark. Ditto for going to work. (and then most of us go home in the dark then too...)

Sunrise here in December isn't until 7:45AM as it is. Further north you go, the later that gets, along with out to the western ends of the time zones.
Haven’t read all the posts but decades ago we did the daylight savings change and some kids going to school in the dark were hit and killed by a car. The daylight savings extension was cancelled by congress as a result.

Haven’t read all the posts but decades ago we did the daylight savings change and some kids going to school in the dark were hit and killed by a car. The daylight savings extension was cancelled by congress as a result.

And yet, I went to school in the dark in the 80's and 90's.

My kids go to school in the dark - the bus comes at 6:54 AM. Sunrise is 7:45 in mid-december.

I go to work in the dark. Come home in the dark.

By this logic, we should shift by even more than an hour as the northern part of the country still doesn't get us into daylight to start the day.

The stories from the 1974 and 75 cite the deaths of several school children. What they don't cite is the fact that the number of deaths was statistically the same as it was before and after. Similarly, the number of deaths in the afternoon actually decreased.

Reality is we are opposed to change. Any change we try to find reasons to resist. We'll adapt to whatever we decide. Artificially changing the clocks is one of those things we could do without.

Back