People who insist on using motorcycle brand oil

You know the ones, they insist on using motorcycle brand motor oils (HD, Honda, Yamaha, etc.) in their bikes because they're mentioned by name in the owner's manual. I tell them as long as the weight and spec are correct, brand doesn't matter. I've even had guys argue with me saying that if the manual calls for a brand, that oil must be used. I don't get it. Why pay double the price when it isn't necessary?

My co-worker always uses Yahama Lube in his bike because it is some weird grade, like 20w40 or something. Maybe that is common in the bike world, I am not sure.

You know the ones, they insist on using motorcycle brand motor oils (HD, Honda, Yamaha, etc.) in their bikes because they're mentioned by name in the owner's manual. I tell them as long as the weight and spec are correct, brand doesn't matter. I've even had guys argue with me saying that if the manual calls for a brand, that oil must be used. I don't get it. Why pay double the price when it isn't necessary?
But it's "M O T O R C Y C L E O I L" man!... :)

Yup, not every blender spends the money to certify even though its virtually identical to those that do.

I have a Suzuki. When I used their branded oil the bike seemed to corner better.

1621632782983.jpg

I think I speak for everyone here that you should lead the charge against using "motorcycle oil", by changing your bikes oil to the cheapest, Dollar store oil that can be found. And once and for all, show the world that's the only oil you need to use.,,

really can not agree. does the bike have a wet or dry clutch, motorcycles, being mainly air cooled stress oil way more than a car. i have a buddy who is a works rider for HARLEY, travels about 175,000 a year for them and rides 8 of his personal bikes. i have sold hundreds of gallons of oil, and when asked explained the correct oil for the application.

Show them how inferior their MoToRcYcLe OiLs are and fill your sump with a Synchromesh fluid for the best shifting feel (even if it isn't a shared sump)!
this is sarcasm and not maintenance advice

My son works on bikes and uses Rotella T4? (the cheap dino stuff) in everything he ownes. Been doing this for at least 20 years with no problems.

It is likely given our small market share that our motorcycle specific oil is chiefly
reformulated Auto oil... However whether we choose MC specific or not... both will
meet and exceed our mileage expectations...

Is this thread meant to be with respect to MC manufacturer branded oil only, or MC specific oil in general? BMW recommends Shell Helix, but not BMW branded oil specifically if I recall.

Some guys like more expensive scotch, some like cheaper bourbon, some like Budweiser by the 30 pack and some like a six pack of micro brew. All of them cost different, but folks buy them all regardless.

In any case, if a person is so caught up on the oil issue, just nod and move along. Most guys around here know what works in their bike and are happy with it. Most guys are well-read enough on the subject to know the different sides of the discussion before this thread even happened. Some are doing it based on experience of using different oils, while some are doing it based on what uncle Albert told them 20 years ago and have tried nothing different. However if it works, everybody will swear by what works for them.

But definitely avoid the dollar store...

Last edited:
Back