People who insist on using motorcycle brand oil

really can not agree. does the bike have a wet or dry clutch, motorcycles, being mainly air cooled stress oil way more than a car. i have a buddy who is a works rider for HARLEY, travels about 175,000 a year for them and rides 8 of his personal bikes. i have sold hundreds of gallons of oil, and when asked explained the correct oil for the application.
As long as the spec and weight are what the manufacture calls for, brand don't matter. When someone can show me a test where Brand X boutique syn significantly reduces wear compared to Brand Y store brand syn, then I'd say there's a valid argument. Until then, there isn't...

As long as the spec and weight are what the manufacture calls for, brand don't matter.

According to Blackstone's oil data they don’t see a lot of difference between brands in terms of wear for most types of engines.

"Well, we’re no closer to saying that one type of oil is better than another,
that’s for sure. We see much more variation in wear levels from the type
of engine, the time on the oil, the viscosity, the use the engine sees, etc.
Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don’t see a lot
of difference in terms of wear for most types of engines."

According to Blackstone's oil data they don’t see a lot of difference between brands in terms of wear for most types of engines.

"Well, we’re no closer to saying that one type of oil is better than another,
that’s for sure. We see much more variation in wear levels from the type
of engine, the time on the oil, the viscosity, the use the engine sees, etc.
Whatever differences exist from oil brand to oil brand, we don’t see a lot
of difference in terms of wear for most types of engines."
And yet people still feel the need to spend $15 a qt to get a warm fuzzy...it's their money...

As long as the spec and weight are what the manufacture calls for, brand don't matter. When someone can show me a test where Brand X boutique syn significantly reduces wear compared to Brand Y store brand syn, then I'd say there's a valid argument. Until then, there isn't...
I agree wear and tear is plus or minus either way. Where I will differ is shift quality. Does little to no good to spend half as much on oil and change it almost twice as often with filters every other time. Many higher priced syn oils shine here and maintain shift quality. M1 MC oil in either flavor 10w40 4T or 20w50 V-Twin flat get it done for me. From my experience conventional lower-priced oil doesn't in a shared sump for 3000-3500 miles, much less 5000 or more miles which is a recommended OCI from most manufacturers.

My friend buys YamaLube for his Yamaha outboard motor. He buys Honda GN4 for his Honda side x side. He buys Stil oil for his garden tools.
His money. His choice.

He probably cringes when I change my oil and tell him I used two quarts of Castrol, a quart of Mobil 1 and topped it off with some Valvoline. :eek:

I agree wear and tear is plus or minus either way. Where I will differ is shift quality. Does little to no good to spend half as much on oil and change it almost twice as often with filters every other time. Many higher priced syn oils shine here and maintain shift quality. M1 MC oil in either flavor 10w40 4T or 20w50 V-Twin flat get it done for me. From my experience conventional lower-priced oil doesn't in a shared sump for 3000-3500 miles, much less 5000 or more miles which is a recommended OCI from most manufacturers.
I wasn't comparing conventionals to synthetics, I'm comparing store brand synthetics, to name brand synthetics...comparing dinos to syns is an apples to oranges comparison...

I'm too chicken to put anything but motorcycle specific oil into my KTM 1090 although im the biggest advocate for T4 in shared sump bikes. The KTM gets Liquimoly 10w-50 which is sort of a hard oil grade to find outside of motorcycle world.

My old Yamaha FZ1 rode many miles on T6 for years. The shifting would degrade enough to warrant changing it every 2-3k miles.

I wasn't comparing conventionals to synthetics, I'm comparing store brand synthetics, to name brand synthetics...comparing dinos to syns is an apples to oranges comparison...
Understood. My apologies for equating apples to oranges on that. I agree, any oil branded HD, Honda or Yamaha is spending money where it doesn't need to be spent.

I use only motorcycle 4T specific oil in my motorcycle. I have used Honda oil before when it was on sale and priced reasonably. Other than that, it's been Mobil 1, Valvoline or Castrol, whichever is on sale at Walmart. Walmart has decent prices on 1 gal jugs of Castrol ActEvo 4T ($18 on sale, ~$23 now). Runs fine in my bikes for over 5000 miles OCI and the price is right.

Understood. My apologies for equating apples to oranges on that. I agree, any oil branded HD, Honda or Yamaha is spending money where it doesn't need to be spent.
Not only those, oils like Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc, you're mainly paying for the name...

I have never seen an owner's manual that required a certain brand of motor oil. It may mention "Moto Lube 10w40 or equivalent" and that leaves the door open for all the other perfectly suitable oils on the market. And grampi you are correct -- the main points are that the oil meets the spec and be the correct viscosity. That's about it. Oh yeah, and do the oil/filter service at the appropriate intervals LOL.

There's still a lot of folks that think you have to use branded products to protect your warranty . When you mention the Magnuson - Moss Warranty Act their eyes glaze over .

I have never seen an owner's manual that required a certain brand of motor oil. It may mention "Moto Lube 10w40 or equivalent" and that leaves the door open for all the other perfectly suitable oils on the market. And grampi you are correct -- the main points are that the oil meets the spec and be the correct viscosity. That's about it. Oh yeah, and do the oil/filter service at the appropriate intervals LOL.
I've always changed the filter at every oil change on every vehicle I've ever owned...

I have never ridden a motorcycle. That being said-I find it strange that people gravitate towards “diesel oil” and speak with pride about how much money saved... How much oil is required for an average or even high end motorcycle? I mean if you have a larger truck that requires like 16-20 quarts of oil... can appreciate the want and need to find a great bang for your buck oil. I would take advantage of having a relatively small sump and put a high end motorcycle oil where would not need to buy a whole lot of it to fill the sump.

Back