Motor Oil For Vintage Air Cooled Triumph Motorcycle?

Penn Grade1
Thanks for the thought But I'll never use a synthetc in a vintage vehicle again. Tried it twice and both vehicles hemorrhaged badly right pff the bat. Luckily they healed themselves when back on conventional oil. Neither one of them is used enough to care about long life oils because the year end rolls around in about 1000 miles and since both have survived 35 and 50 years on conventional oil there is no argument to be made for synthetic as "better". Someone once said "How high is up?"

Even though synthetic oil is superior to non synthetic oil in every way both oils meet and exceed your mileage expectations... however
if you ever see the end of the hemorrhaging problems you'll enjoy increase HP and lower operating temps running the free flowing synthetics...

Synthetic_vs_MineralOil5.jpg

Even though synthetic oil is superior to non synthetic oil in every way both oils meet and exceed your mileage expectations... however
if you ever see the end of the hemorrhaging problems you'll enjoy increase HP and lower operating temps running the free flowing synthetics...

"enjoy increase HP"
LOL. Having had Brit twins since '72 I know better than expect to feel any increase in hp on a 47 hp ancient twin design. It's a waste of effort on my seat of the pants dyno.

Thanks.
60 weight is definitely out of the question for old knees.

But the Lightenings were the sharpest looking bikes.
A little late here, but FWIW: I put a '72 T120R (OIF 650) back on the road in 2016. My father bought it new in '73, rode it until '85ish, and stored until I revived it. I've run nothing but plain old Valvoline 20W-50 conventional motorcycle oil, no additives, and it's been fine. In 2020 I installed Tricor Andy's OIF filter kit, which put a Trident filter housing transverse between the rear fender and frame/oil reservoir downtube. The bottom end is aged and has never been apart--Dad installed a new piston and rings back in the 70s--so I wanted a little more filtration than the stock screens. An additional benefit is an increase in overall oil capacity--OIFs have 1-2 pints less than pre-OIFs per the frame design. It stands out far less than some spin-on adapters, and the Trident filters are readily available.

How is your Triumph working out?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-04 155708.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-04 155708.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 12
Back