Help me decide, Aircooled 70s CB350 Race Engine Oil - Lost in choices

Hi everyone I race a 1970s Honda CB350, and am trying to find an ideal oil for my situation

The engine is a overhead cam design, rocker to valve tip, and is notorious for eating cam lobes / rockers should you stray from a good oil / breakin procedure

It runs anywhere from 220*-310* oil temps
Raced for about 30minutes at a time
Usually ambient temps range from 60*f-100*f

my go to oils are:
Rotella t4 15w40 for break in with a dash of ZDDP lucas addative
Amsoil Metric 10w40 for regular race duty

I have also tried mobil 1 4t ( good results? cant really say any wear occured from it, shifting seemed typical )

I am eyeing some other alternatives to amsoil as its hard to find in a pinch, and cost prohibitive to change the oil as much as I would like to
I like to change the oil every 2 race weekends ( a total of 6 days of race duty ) and I run an inline spin on filter ( usually KN )

Any thoughts on alternatives? what you think the "best" choice would be for my application?
Im looking at the full syn valvoline 4t oil, but have no experience with it so im weary, also looking into motul 300v, maxima extra 4
Redline is considered the gold standard by vintage racers but boy oh boy is it expensive.

Also, if anyone could specify a target oil temp for starting operation, and a cutoff point or turn the **** bike off its too hot id be curious to know what that is,

Thanks for any advice you may have to offer! Im overwhelmed with choice!

Attachments

• JPEG image.jpg
    JPEG image.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 21
I owned a CB350 bought new, it was the bike I took my drivers test on so it was a stock bike and I did not race it but in the summer I ran a 50w oil. Of course 70's oil was nowhere near as good as oil is today. That said I now own a Yamaha Roadliner that is an 1800cc air cooled bike and I still run a 20w50. I have run Rotella 15w40 the T4 and the T6 and it was fine but I started noticing notchy shifting by 1500 miles. As long as you have time to warm the engine up before a race I suggest going heavy.

I'd be all over the M1 motorcycle products. It is not easy to find a more shear stable oil.

EDIT: There really is no magic with motorcycle oils. No low drag, super slippery titanium infused, moly filled, ultra slick, thin film strength products fit the need. What motorcycle engines like yours typically need is a shear stable oil to remain in grade over time coupled with a high HTHS for the excess oil temperatures produced. Along with a robust additive package that not only prevents foaming, but provides adequate cleaning and has sufficient anti wear additives.

Last edited:
I owned a CB350 bought new, it was the bike I took my drivers test on so it was a stock bike and I did not race it but in the summer I ran a 50w oil. Of course 70's oil was nowhere near as good as oil is today. That said I now own a Yamaha Roadliner that is an 1800cc air cooled bike and I still run a 20w50. I have run Rotella 15w40 the T4 and the T6 and it was fine but I started noticing notchy shifting by 1500 miles. As long as you have time to warm the engine up before a race I suggest going heavy.
I do have time to warm up, I want something a notch above rotella for cam / rocker protection but its probably overkill

Could you be a little more specific? This bike has a wet clutch btw
Valvoline 4 Stroke Motorcycle oil. Redline Powersports motor oil. Check their websites. Joe Gibbs has oil for karts. You could give them a call to see if they have oil for motorcycles.

Coincidently, I took my driver’s test on my buddy’s CB350. :D

Back