People make mistakes - new Oz speed advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad one, we've got a highway through town, where the limit drops from 100km/h to 70, see near misses weekly as people entering/crossing aren't anticipating 110km/h in what's essentially a suburb.

We've had that one for awhile...not a very Aussie accent, but it's possible to tone it down. Are those typical OZ plates, in our version they are white, have they been yellowed?

Yep, we noticed the same themes when we were in NZ earlier this month.

Those are typical NSW number plates.

thumbsup2.gif
Good commercial. Take a minute.

Part of being a good driver is being able to judge the speed of cars around you at all times. Don't trust anyone to always be doing the speed limit. Don't pay attention, and something like that is more likely to happen.

Originally Posted By: Silk
We've had that one for awhile...not a very Aussie accent,

I knew I had seen it before, almost 2 years ago.

They changed the plates. Also possum bands around the powerpoles. We have 70 million possums here, they climb powerpoles and eat the insulation. I don't know if it is done in OZ. The location is pretty non descript otherwise.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Part of being a good driver is being able to judge the speed of cars around you at all times. Don't trust anyone to always be doing the speed limit. Don't pay attention, and something like that is more likely to happen.

Yep. As Motorcyclists, we either learn that it is in our best interest to be very aware of our surroundings, or we likely will end up seriously injured or dead.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yep. As Motorcyclists, we either learn that it is in our best interest to be very aware of our surroundings, or we likely will end up seriously injured or dead.

+1 ... a great cycle rider gives the same attention level to riding as a fighter jet pilot is gives during a dog fight. If people drove cars like good riders rode motorcycles there would be way less deaths on the roads.

A bit too disgusting commercial for my taste.

There's another solution to this problem: Automatic speed enforcement.

Just put one camera to each dangerous crossroads, and the problem is solved.

Speeding more than 10 km/h = speeding ticket. Speeding more than 20 km/h = big speeding ticket.

We have these on our roads. They are very effective. On the "camera roads" I exceed the speed limit only by 8 km/h. On other roads by 15-20 km/h (according to speedometer).
13-3-9131901.jpg

There is always a warning sign on the road before the cameras, so it should not come as a surprise for a driver that he/she should comply with the speed limit more precisely on this particular road.

panorama_automaattinen_liikenteenvalvon.jpg

Originally Posted By: finmile

Just put one camera to each dangerous crossroads, and the problem is solved.

Still doesn't prevent someone from not paying attention and pulling right out in front of somebody doing the speed limit. Still a potentially deadly situation. Paying attention to driving is the best way to stay alive. Distraction and daydreaming kills people everyday on the roads.

There will always be reckless drivers, no matter what.

But I think that in the OP’s example speeding was the problem. And with cameras you can make sure that the speed limits are followed by the majority.

A year ago they put these cameras to the busiest road in Finland, which is used by about 90,000 cars per day. As a result, on that road, the number of cars speeding more than 10 km/h has decreased from 11% to 2%.

I think that's an impressive result.

The solution is not regulation of speed. It's regulation of competence.

An ad telling drivers to slow down for idiots who pull out into the road without looking is like making a video telling people to pad their sidewalks for people too stupid to walk.

The problem is clearly drivers illegal entering the right of way. Why not a video telling people to stop wantonly pulling out into the road without looking?

I love the attempt to create sympathy for the idiot who didn't look. Sympathy not found. If you have your kid in the car, use your frigging eyeballs.

He's begging the driver to slow down, but never says "Cool! Time stopped, so I'm going good to get back in my car and not be stupid!".

Ad completely subverts the idea of personal responsibility, while trying to enforce the idea.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

An ad telling drivers to slow down for idiots who pull out into the road without looking is like making a video telling people to pad their sidewalks for people too stupid to walk.

The problem is clearly drivers illegal entering the right of way. Why not a video telling people to stop wantonly pulling out into the road without looking?

I love the attempt to create sympathy for the idiot who didn't look. Sympathy not found. If you have your kid in the car, use your frigging eyeballs.

He's begging the driver to slow down, but never says "Cool! Time stopped, so I'm going good to get back in my car and not be stupid!".

Ad completely subverts the idea of personal responsibility, while trying to enforce the idea.

I'm just going to agree completely with this. I was trying to be too PC in my prior post.

Yeah, I know...

in the real world, all cars should be fitted with explosives that detonate every time the driver makes a mistake.

Problem solved, eh ?

No innocent drivers harmed.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I'm just going to agree completely with this. I was trying to be too PC in my prior post.

+2 ... the person BEHIND THE WHEEL is responsible for the vehicle they are driving, regardless of what others are doing on the road ... legally or illegally. The video actually makes the guy who pulls out look the worst. Only car coming down the road, he sees it, yet feels he should pull out in front of it. Typical bonehead move ... see it all the time.

Sure, it helps to not speed in traffic because not everyone can judge your speed well. When I'm on a bike or behind the wheel I make sure I've read the people around me correctly. If you don't, you're asking for trouble even if everyone around you is driving 100% legal. I've had people pull right out in front of me on a daily basis when I'm going at or below the speed limit. Drive around 1000s of vehicles on the road and something will happen at least every 5 minutes ... I've had plenty of long commutes in heavy rush hour traffic to validate that.

There's a reason statistics like this exist, and most of it's caused by distracted (ie, not paying attention to) driving. The ad is saying: "Wake the [censored] up and pay attention to your driving!"

http://www.newsweek.com/us-traffic-deaths-injuries-and-related-costs-2015-363602

I think that the power of that advertisement is that there's not a poster on the board who hasn't been in either of those two positions...misjudged speed of traffic, or put themselves in a position where their speed is outside the reasonable expectations of the guy on the side road...or just plain messed up.

And if you aren't doing that on a regular basis, when things do go wrong, you won't have a clue what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back