Scary winter drive helping gf's dad pick up new van

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week my girlfriend's dad asked me if I was free to go with him 5 hours to pick up his new 2018 Chevy express cargo van to replace his beat up 04. Of course I said yes, I had no plans on Saturday.

I was hoping to just drive my car (the 83 Caprice winter beater), drop him off and drive back. Yes it's an old car but I drive it everywhere, it never strands me and I have CAA/AAA.

Unfortunately, her dad isn't a good passenger so he wants to drive the entire way there and just have me drive their 2015ish Chevy equinox back. He likes to always be in control.

Fine, I'd prefer to be driving my own car because I'm more comfortable with that, plus it's a more comfortable vehicle. What I didn't anticipate was that we got a bit of a snowstorm Saturday (not the worst but some significant snow) and it became quickly apparent that the equinox has nearly bald all season tires and it's only front wheel drive... It was honestly the slipperiest vehicle I've ever driven in snow (I've basically always had snow tires and a heavy car).

The drive back became hours longer driving at 30-40mph where normal speeds are 70+. If I had the Caprice we could have safely done 50-60mph. This thing we couldn't even safely change lanes without losing 15mph crossing the bit of slush built up between lanes.

The good thing is we made it home safely (my girlfriend came with us) and no damage done, but I was annoyed at the being pushed into driving his dangerous vehicle when mine would have been the safer more comfortable choice. Rant over.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
This week my girlfriend's dad asked me if I was free to go with him 5 hours to pick up his new 2018 Chevy express cargo van to replace his beat up 04. Of course I said yes, I had no plans on Saturday.

One can still get a new 2018 Cargo Van?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Triple_Se7en: we get thousands of new cargo and 15 passenger vans daily at work. Brand new too

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Edit:if you were questioning the "new", it's actually "new to him". 6k miles on it. Former u haul van. Looks basically new though.

Yes, they still make them. It's a 6.0 with variable Valve timing but no displacement on demand. He thought he bought a 4.8 (his old vans were both 4.8 and no issues - but 2018 they dropped it in favor of the 4.3 v6 or a 2.8 Duramax. Only worry with the 6.0 was gas mileage might be worse but he's stepping up to a 6 speed instead of 4 speed so it might be the same.

Last edited:
Probably "tread" lightly with this if your girlfriend is a keeper. Hopefully he was embarrassed by his crappy tires
smile.gif

Originally Posted by FT92
just gotta love driving on slick snow covered roads

Best part is finding black ice while attempting to pass someone while going around a bend.
Really gets the adrenaline pumping!
19.gif

You get the joys of in laws without being married! Lucky you!

I'm glad you had the sense to slow down and complete the trip safely. Excellent rant!

Did you only learn of the bald tires once you were on the road?
Had you inspected the vehicle before leaving AND went anyway we could scold you for not being forceful enough.

53' Stude: "we get thousands of new cargo and 15 passenger vans daily at work...." What on Earth do you do?
doitmyself: "..joys of in laws....." = quip of the day. Thanks

edit: Just read the next post. It's so true...you can't tell anyone how to maintain their car...even under the most obvious circumstances.
OP: If this is all accurate, be careful your gf isn't as bullheaded.

Glad you made it crash free

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Probably "tread" lightly with this if your girlfriend is a keeper. Hopefully he was embarrassed by his crappy tires
smile.gif

If he's anything like described, I'm going to guess that there was zero embarrassment and any criticism of said vehicle's condition would result in it being a direct reflection as to a lack of skill on the OP's part, rather than there being any fault in a 2WD vehicle in Canada skating around on bald stock All-Season tires unfortunately.

smile.gif

She is a keeper, had our 2 years anniversary not long ago. Her dad has his faults but he helps us all the time and never asks for much. It was just annoying, that's all. Kelsie knows his flaws and she would have been happier to ride in the Caprice also but she said it wasn't worth even suggesting it because she knew he would want to drive. (the dents in his van are proof of how good a driver he is).

On the upside the equinox got close to 30mpg US driving it that gently.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
smile.gif

If he's anything like described, I'm going to guess that there was zero embarrassment and any criticism of said vehicle's condition would result in it being a direct reflection as to a lack of skill on the OP's part, rather than there being any fault in a 2WD vehicle in Canada skating around on bald stock All-Season tires unfortunately.

I would say there was minor embarrassment. He had already been pricing around tires and knew it needed them, but he chose to drive it anyways. He doesn't get too worried about stuff like that. He figured the empty cargo van would be even worse but I doubt it. It had 5k miles on the tires and I can control a rear wheel drive sliding much easier than a front wheel drive plowing ahead towards the ditch. I wish we drove the new van back lol.

Originally Posted by Kira
Did you only learn of the bald tires once you were on the road?
Had you inspected the vehicle before leaving AND went anyway we could scold you for not being forceful enough.

53' Stude: "we get thousands of new cargo and 15 passenger vans daily at work...." What on Earth do you do?
doitmyself: "..joys of in laws....." = quip of the day. Thanks

edit: Just read the next post. It's so true...you can't tell anyone how to maintain their car...even under the most obvious circumstances.
OP: If this is all accurate, be careful your gf isn't as bullheaded.

Glad you made it crash free

I could have sworn that it said awd on the back and I wasn't aware of the tires until the unexpected snow/rain mix started to accumulate on the highway and switching lanes threw the thing around (he was still driving at that point). Then when we stopped for a bathroom break the parking lot made it very apparent that it was front wheel drive and had very little traction.

My girlfriend is similar to him in ways but much more reasonable. Safety is important to her, she insisted my cracked windshield would be replaced as my Christmas gift this year. I needed that push. Much easier to see out of the new windshield (it was the original and getting fairly pitted). It didn't seem like the most exciting Christmas gift until I looked through it. Lol

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
smile.gif

I would say there was minor embarrassment. He had already been pricing around tires and knew it needed them, but he chose to drive it anyways. He doesn't get too worried about stuff like that. He figured the empty cargo van would be even worse but I doubt it. It had 5k miles on the tires and I can control a rear wheel drive sliding much easier than a front wheel drive plowing ahead towards the ditch. I wish we drove the new van back lol.

Well, that's better than I was expecting to read, so that's good. Is he considering actual winter tires or just fresh All Seasons?

It seems like I've heard that winter tires are required during winter, in Canada. I guess that's not the case. Or maybe it's just in certain areas?

Originally Posted by 02SE
It seems like I've heard that winter tires are required during winter, in Canada. I guess that's not the case. Or maybe it's just in certain areas?

They are required in Quebec, but not in Ontario. I would say more than half of people here run winter tires these days. That's my observations anyway.

He's considering them. They priced him all seasons, winters and "all weather". Now he's just confused lol.

Is it not law in Canada that vehicles have snow tires on from early winter to April?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
He's considering them. They priced him all seasons, winters and "all weather". Now he's just confused lol.

Is it not law in Canada that vehicles have snow tires on from early winter to April?

Nope, just Quebec requires winter tires, as caprice_2nv noted. I think it's been considered in other provinces but I believe at this juncture, they are the only one to formally require it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back