People are driving like maniacs!

I was on a 4 lane country highway and I was around 85 mph and a sport bike passed me at around 150.

Very common to see these sport bikes at high speeds on Florida roads.

Last edited:
I was on way home yesterday from a co workers house. I helped her install a new tv. Two lane road leading to my place. Unmarked PA State Cop Taurus behind me. FedEx driver in front of me. Coming towards 4 way controlled intersection, FedEx driver blew right thru it. State Cop went out around me so fast; nailed that FedEx guy good!

If you watch the chase in the "7 Up's", you'll notice the 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville that Roy Scheider was chasing, was being driven by Bill Hickman. He was the same guy who drove the 1968 Dodge Charger R/T in "Bullitt".

Well I will not say where I am because I am doing my part to not make this my own personal travel blog, but.. a black Oldsmobile 442 from the 80s that had some black smoke come out the tailpipe every time he hit the throttle.. just passed a lot of people on the highway doing about a hundred miles an hour and it's now tailgating everyone that won't get out of the way. Kentucky plate.

I watched a couple Bro-Dozers competing over the left lane yesterday on a quick trip to MN. They would pass each other on the right, and then tailgate the other until they could pass. STUPID.

MN competes with Southern States for the most left lane hogs. At least in MN they are at speed.

If you watch the chase in the "7 Up's", you'll notice the 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville that Roy Scheider was chasing, was being driven by Bill Hickman. He was the same guy who drove the 1968 Dodge Charger R/T in "Bullitt".
Bill Hickman was also a friend of James Dean and was following Dean with a trailer and race equipment when Dean was killed driving his Porsche Spyder. Hickman was the first on the scene and pulled Dean from the wreckage.

Reminds me of Impact is Imminent
Blind drunk and hauling @$$
He got airbone off an overpass
He never knew he left the ground
Like a warhead target bound.

Exodus

That’s most drivers in my area too. They come flying up behind you tailgate you for a second then swerve into the other lane and go around you like a maniac. The fastest posted speed limit on my way to and from work is 60 and that’s on US Route 460 and people fly by at least 70mph or more.

See, now, that's kinda interesting, because I had someone on another forum swear up and down that all the bad drivers in Virginia are "come heres" found in Northern VA.

3) a local road system that is confusing and being in a wrong lane at a stop light creates lots of problems for people.

All the roads in Virginia are confusing. It doesn't help that, at least in Northern Virginia, they won't put the cross street's name on the warning sign for the intersection like they do in other states.

I watched a couple Bro-Dozers competing over the left lane yesterday on a quick trip to MN. They would pass each other on the right, and then tailgate the other until they could pass. STUPID.

MN competes with Southern States for the most left lane hogs. At least in MN they are at speed.

Lots of bozo out of state drivers hogging the left lane here in Florida this time of the year.

I do the the speed limit or at the very least 5 over. Anyone who has a problem with that can ram my ass end and buy me a new car.

Every time I commute to work I at least encounter 4-6 18 wheelers camping in the left lane.

This is the second time I have seen this maneuver and I've no doubt this Trooper saved lives. No doubt.

Against a drunk... and, apparently, an unremorseful one.. the callous kind.

Hmmm... seems I was correct.

Sometimes we let ourselves get drawn into a collision trap in front of us by trying to avoid a problem behind us, such as a tailgater. The temptation here is to speed up and move away from the vehicle which is following too closely behind us.

How do we avoid a situation like this?

We do it by actually increasing our safe space to the front.

We do this by gradually reducing our speed by one mile an hour until we have doubled our 3-second following distance to 6 seconds. That gives us 3 seconds for our car and 3 seconds for the car behind us that's encroaching on our safe space. This give us room to maneuver in time to stop if something goes wrong up ahead.

chapter10b.jpg

Most tailgaters follow too closely because they want to go faster than the car they’re following. So when you slow down to increase your safe space, they usually take the first opportunity to go around you. Then you can re-establish your normal following distance.

By using this procedure, you have also eliminated the potential for a collision from the rear, as well as the front.

- Defensive Driving class.

Most important takeaway from:

Most tailgaters follow too closely because they want to go faster than the car they’re following. So when you slow down to increase your safe space, they usually take the first opportunity to go around you. Then you can re-establish your normal following distance.

By using this procedure, you have also eliminated the potential for a collision from the rear, as well as the front.

Everyone figures the max speed their car moves is the only safe speed

that’s why highway deaths have been skyrocketing.

You would figure you would run out of Darwin awards but it doesn’t seem to work

I used to drive like a maniac all the time when I owned my Nissan 350Zs (plural) with 6 speed manual.😈
These cars were just egging me on.

But i changed and I been going to places in recent years sports cars cant take me so I become a 4x4 SUV guy.
Feeling the greatly dimished handling and control of my new steeds compared to my previous vehicles, I rarely speed as a result.
Its had a calming effect on my driving.

Not to the point of becoming an obstacle (I hope) but I went from being just one police interaction away from a suspended license to no tickets in 13 years.

PS: People driving Brodozers as if they were sportscars have impaired judgement to put it charitably.

Back