People are driving like maniacs!

Sure. Just the other day I was at a roundabout going straight on a tangential exit when a driver from a stop sign gets impatient and then darts right out and I come close to T-boning said driver's car. Then as I wait for that, a driver in the roundabout then cuts me off and passes on the right. I don't get it. I was always taught to wait your turn.

The really thing about these roundabouts is how ridiculously aggressive some drivers are. There's one around me with stop signs entering from all directions, but some will just gun their engines to try and cut off other drivers at a stop sign 50 feet away. Or ones where they don't stop and closely follow to the point where other drivers waiting can't enter.

Also the utter lack of safety around pedestrians. I was just crossing at a clearly marked crosswalk with my 11 year old when someone comes in and jams in about 5 feet away rather than just being patient until I was at a safe distance. Some are going to be happy unless they eventually run over someone.

where we live it seems the road is filled with all these little tiny young girls who look about 12 -13 years old! and driving like maniacs in freaking Mercedes, Lincoln giant SUVs , BMWs and Porches or Lexus. I am wondering who on earth is paying (gotta be high as hell) the car notes and the insurance on these high end luxury vehicles? They don't even look old enough to have finished High school yet! ?

Sure. Just the other day I was at a roundabout going straight on a tangential exit when a driver from a stop sign gets impatient and then darts right out and I come close to T-boning said driver's car. Then as I wait for that, a driver in the roundabout then cuts me off and passes on the right. I don't get it. I was always taught to wait your turn.

The really thing about these roundabouts is how ridiculously aggressive some drivers are. There's one around me with stop signs entering from all directions, but some will just gun their engines to try and cut off other drivers at a stop sign 50 feet away. Or ones where they don't stop and closely follow to the point where other drivers waiting can't enter.

Also the utter lack of safety around pedestrians. I was just crossing at a clearly marked crosswalk with my 11 year old when someone comes in and jams in about 5 feet away rather than just being patient until I was at a safe distance. Some are going to be happy unless they eventually run over someone.

Everyone has their own style that they drive, some are "aggressive yet safe," think about it, it makes sense.. you keep your pace to a flow of traffic or safely slightly over, conditions and traffic permitting etc. They may seem like they are driving fast at first but it is possible to go slightly faster in a safe manner. Not 90 or 100MPH on a road with a traffic light coming up, no.. but 74-80 on an open highway? All day. Highway Patrol may not agree but you would be surprised sometimes at what they let go.

What you are describing are just people with driving issues, something about helmet mentality in a car just transforms people into Mario Andretti.

I had a burgundy Lincoln SUV, one of the newer curvier ones, I don't know what it was but not a Navigator or Aviator. MK-T or something like it. Distinctive swoopy headlights. Lady came flying up behind me. Rode my bumper for some time and ran a light to stay on my tail.. I was able to get over, but, man. You see a face in your rear view and it's just a SCOWL.. Some folks really do just exude negativity and I have no idea what their deal is, but.. I'm either getting away from you, or you can go around.

where we live it seems the road is filled with all these little tiny young girls who look about 12 -13 years old! and driving like maniacs in freaking Mercedes, Lincoln giant SUVs , BMWs and Porches or Lexus. I am wondering who on earth is paying (gotta be high as hell) the car notes and the insurance on these high end luxury vehicles? They don't even look old enough to have finished High school yet! ?

Daddy.

Story doesn't make sense if they aren't on the phone while driving.

As long as people follow lane discipline.....left lane for passing only....I think creates a much safer and easier to drive situation. 90% of the time its an inconsiderate person holding the left lane up that makes other drivers take risks in passing them. Stay in the slow lane if you drive slow. Of course, on the other hand, if you are driving in the slow lane and being tailgated, that is a rude act by the tailgater.

I went on a holiday short road trip, about 5 hours on the highways combined day and night driving. I noticed that people are driving very recklessly these days. The biggest observation is impatience and very high speeds. Modern vehicles are enabling speeds of 100mph to be effortlessly common.

I cruise usually at the speed limit or slightly below or above, but drop it down dramatically for bad weather. Today I was on the highway, clear cold day, roads in good safe condition. I was driving slightly below the speed limit, 70mph. Probably 100 cars passed me at speeds exceeding 80-90mph, many seemed to be going 100mph.

Another thing I noticed is serious tailgating; no margin for errors. And rapid lane changing without warning (or need).

And night driving has become very difficult because it seems all new cars have double sets of flood lights, and lifted trucks are the worst offenders. They nearly blind me coming toward me, or right behind me.

It's almost to the point I no longer feel safe on the highways with the speeds people are driving!

Edited: I'm an excellent driver with 1 accident in my life that was my fault when I was a brand new 16 year old driver. I've had less than 5 speeding tickets in my life, the last one 10+ years ago. Drivers today seem to be either extremely dangerous, or extremely inconsiderate. I know that's not the case but it just seems this way.
agree 100% most are just plain idiots and really shouldn't be allowed on the road i totally agree with those insane lights a lot of people have , absolutely no reason for them at all

What you are describing are just people with driving issues, something about helmet mentality in a car just transforms people into Mario Andretti.

Daddy.

Story doesn't make sense if they aren't on the phone while driving.
Ha ha ha ha.... Mario Andretti! Whoooo. LOL I worked with an older guy who had the same comment as you except in Mario's place his comment was Evel Kanievil..... LOL
The phone part...... Oh. Wait. Arent they born now ? I think with some special type of I-phone ear supplement permanently installed that the parents select and put on a payment plan? ;)

The simple truth and what nobody else wants to say, is that people are sick of spending an hour or more in the car for a 15 mile drive because they're stuck behind a bunch of slow @$$es who are either completely lost and refused to pull over, or are paying far more attention to their phones than they are the road. If everyone would just drive with the flow of traffic and keep right unless they're passing, people who may be in a bit of a hurry wouldn't get so angry.

Ha ha ha ha.... Mario Andretti! Whoooo. LOL I worked with an older guy who had the same comment as you except in Mario's place his comment was Evel Kanievil..... LOL
The phone part...... Oh. Wait. Arent they born now ? I think with some special type of I-phone ear supplement permanently installed that the parents select and put on a payment plan? ;)

Back before the tragedy we would maybe some times say Dale Earnhardt.

Someone (it was in a Lincoln again. This time, the newer sedan) tried to road-bully me this morning, on the long two-lane feeder road that leads to the Interstate.. I should just let some things go, but, part of me says challenge accepted.

One day, I am sure I will completely mellow out. But. My little tactic, on long Interstate drives is pretty simple:

1. Set the cruise at 74 or 75
2. Keep it there, usually the right lane
3. Accelerate to 80 sometimes if you are on a long, desolate stretch of highway (dont worry. Michiganders will still tailgate you.. may even have kind of a problem with the Pure Michigan plate drivers) and speed next to you on open roads.... not all but it seems that way. Sorry Michigan..
4. Highway Patrol and yes they sometimes do sit off to the side.. I, personally, sometimes tap the brakes to disengage the cruise to take my speedo down to about 72, which means I'm showing 69 or 70 on a radar. Sometimes, I don't even bother, as my speedo saying 75 means I'm actually going 72 to that radar gun and I just sit there. Speed limit drops to 65 at one specific point, be mindful, it got me once. (Ohio, all this.) Tomato, tomatoe.. Even with the heightened presence of police we all are taught we will see the week of December 24th to January 1st more like 3rd, these tactics have served me well.

Maryland they will sit blacked out under an overpass.

Speed limits should be increased to 80 MPH, then actually enforced.

While I agree with you, all that's gonna do is make people drive 85-90MPH. I still do agree with you though.

You will see cruises set at 89 and 90MPH and people speeding past that, they can't get everyone..

Bottom line is, speeders gonna speed.

I don't mind the people who want to go fast, but the whipping it in & out of traffic at 85 has to stop, or somebody's going to get hurt! I almost blasted a BMW yesterday who insisted on passing on the right at 80-85, right at a merge lane, on a 50 MPH S-curve (OH 126/Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway), AFTER I had my turn signal on to squeeze into merging traffic to get out of his way! At 70+ in a 60 MPH zone! And they wonder why people are getting shot on the roads here...

I don't mind the people who want to go fast, but the whipping it in & out of traffic at 85 has to stop, or somebody's going to get hurt! I almost blasted a BMW yesterday who insisted on passing on the right at 80-85, right at a merge lane, on a 50 MPH S-curve (OH 126/Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway), AFTER I had my turn signal on to squeeze into merging traffic to get out of his way! At 70+ in a 60 MPH zone! And they wonder why people are getting shot on the roads here...

Yeah, you see some real stuff on these roads.

Better to be carried by six and judged by 12 than 6 feet under.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

You forgot the most important part.. Everyone that can't drive is from somewhere else.

Then you get the people that feel it is their civic duty to lecture or force other drivers to drive a certain way. These tend to be your lane hogs that block traffic for miles.

This, in my opinion, fosters aggressive maneuvers.

It is reckless and just plain stupid (example. Turn from left lane of 3 or 4 lane highway at 80MPH full on brakes to make an off-ramp you overshot) stuff on the road that is all too common, and makes YouTube montages.

We've all seen backing up on the highway to do the same.. same difference.

A wise person told me that after many years of commuting on the highway, that he just ended up getting into the right lane and going with flow of traffic, regardless of how slow. He said the net impact to his commute was negligible and he had a lot less stress… something to it I think. What does all that weaving through traffic really get you in the end?

Like another poster said, daddy warbucks. These girls end up with daddy issues and go to college only to find a husband to be their new surrogate daddy to take care of them.

I honestly cant recall the last time I went somewhere and didnt have to take evasive action to avoid a wreck. I think people are getting their driving tips from Tik Tok

Yeah, driving slightly below the speed limit is dangerous and even at the speed limit is dangerous. Depending on your vehicles speedometer you may even be going slower then you think, checking accuracy with GPS might bar called for.
Vehicles much improved handling then the old days, if driven responsibility the speed limits in many places are on the low side.

Much of South Carolina is interstate, posted speeds of 70 MPH mean you drive at 80 MPH or a little less. You can get run over if you were doing 70 or under. Technically unless marked the state speed limit is 80 so I guess the police cut you that slack.

*LOL* This is why I love this state, to address this issue a new law was passed, if you drive in the left lane and do not move over for cars that want to pass you, you are breaking the law. No mention of doing the speed limit or not, just holding up other cars.

Back