People are driving like maniacs!

I went on a holiday short road trip, about 5 hours on the highways combined day and night driving. I noticed that people are driving very recklessly these days. The biggest observation is impatience and very high speeds. Modern vehicles are enabling speeds of 100mph to be effortlessly common.

I cruise usually at the speed limit or slightly below or above, but drop it down dramatically for bad weather. Today I was on the highway, clear cold day, roads in good safe condition. I was driving slightly below the speed limit, 70mph. Probably 100 cars passed me at speeds exceeding 80-90mph, many seemed to be going 100mph.

Another thing I noticed is serious tailgating; no margin for errors. And rapid lane changing without warning (or need).

And night driving has become very difficult because it seems all new cars have double sets of flood lights, and lifted trucks are the worst offenders. They nearly blind me coming toward me, or right behind me.

It's almost to the point I no longer feel safe on the highways with the speeds people are driving!

Edited: I'm an excellent driver with 1 accident in my life that was my fault when I was a brand new 16 year old driver. I've had less than 5 speeding tickets in my life, the last one 10+ years ago. Drivers today seem to be either extremely dangerous, or extremely inconsiderate. I know that's not the case but it just seems this way.

Last edited:
In West Texas desert the trucks have ruled the roads for approx 10 years of oilfield fracking. It's day and night grind of headon collisions, and PU's falling into pavement holes the tractor trailer trucks make. Lots of trucks rear ending each other, so even if you drive safe you can get scrunched. I like to drive cars at sports car tracks, and know what I'm getting out of my car.

That’s most drivers in my area too. They come flying up behind you tailgate you for a second then swerve into the other lane and go around you like a maniac. The fastest posted speed limit on my way to and from work is 60 and that’s on US Route 460 and people fly by at least 70mph or more. Here 80 and up is reckless. And those who choose to tailgate or drive carelessly always have their bright lights on too it seems. And here they like to write tickets if you are going the speed limit or 5 above in rain or snow or anything like that saying it’s too fast for weather conditions and the speed limit is automatically reduced by 10 when it’s one of those conditions I know several who have gotten tickets for that yet I never see any of these maniacs pulled over. It’s like the golf cart at work most drive it like a maniac and if you are on it you wonder if you will be here tomorrow or not lol.

In West Texas desert the trucks have ruled the roads for approx 10 years of oilfield fracking. It's day and night grind of headon collisions, and PU's falling into pavement holes the tractor trailer trucks make. Lots of trucks rear ending each other, so even if you drive safe you can get scrunched. I like to drive cars at sports car tracks, and know what I'm getting out of my car.

Roughnecks bring their own brand of stupidity when they roll through town.

In my area we have ....

1) lots of tourist.... They drive awesome and create lots of fun at times.

2) lots of old people.... They drive slow and sometimes really wild....

3) a local road system that is confusing and being in a wrong lane at a stop light creates lots of problems for people.

I saw some World championship driving earlier today .. .

I'm speaking strictly of interstate highways that are between big cities and without traffic.
I went on a holiday short road trip, about 5 hours on the highways combined day and night driving. I noticed that people are driving very recklessly these days. The biggest observation is impatience and very high speeds. Modern vehicles are enabling speeds of 100mph to be effortlessly common.
I have observed this too, more common since the pandemic, reckless would be how you define it. I enjoy high speeds, I get extremely bored/sleepy of cruise control speeds but will only speed if it can be done safely and keep safe distances between others.

I cruise usually at the speed limit or slightly below or above, but drop it down dramatically for bad weather. Today I was on the highway, clear cold day, roads in good safe condition. I was driving slightly below the speed limit, 70mph. Probably 100 cars passed me at speeds exceeding 80-90mph, many seemed to be going 100mph.
um, your driving below the speed limit, what do you expect? I have driven over 1+ million miles in my life in a car just traveling around due to college or road trips and even cops will pass you all day if your driving below or at the speed limit.
Another thing I noticed is serious tailgating; no margin for errors. And rapid lane changing without warning (or need).
I agree that's extremely reckless because indicating is extremely important and paramount to safe driving.
And night driving has become very difficult because it seems all new cars have double sets of flood lights, and lifted trucks are the worst offenders. They nearly blind me coming toward me, or right behind me.
I 100% agree, it's awful, I actually miss the old days of just yellow lights coming from the opposite side and not blinding other drivers.
It's almost to the point I no longer feel safe on the highways with the speeds people are driving!
I think it's plenty safe except blinding lights and changing lanes without indicating, if you fear for your safety, fly or take other means of transportation, I wouldn't want to be nervous or anxious during any trip because it would take away any type of fun you could possibly have.

Edited: I'm an excellent driver with 1 accident in my life that was my fault when I was a brand new 16 year old driver. I've had less than 5 speeding tickets in my life, the last one 10+ years ago. Drivers today seem to be either extremely dangerous, or extremely inconsiderate. I know that's not the case but it just seems this way.
same, I believe that too, 2 accidents between 16-17, and 4 speeding tickets.

I do agree with the extremely dangerous and inconsiderate drivers, another thing you didn't mention is the people who hang out in the left (passing lane) driving slower than others, this is also very dangerous...

Back