Pentospeed 0W-30 & my butt dyno

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished my OCI with Pentospeed 0W-30. I will post an UOA soon. I now have Mobil 1 0W-40 in the engine. I bought it on sale for $4.99 a quart. I will be only running the Mobil 1 for 3,500 miles. I will be getting my intake valves cleaned at 20,000 miles.

On the first drive with the Mobil 1. The car felt slower to me. The car seemed to accelerate smoother with the Pentospeed. I know there isn't much difference in the viscosities bewteen the two. One is 12.1 and the other is 13.4 @100c. With VW now using 5W-30 504 spec oils in Europe now. I don't see the reason to use 40 weights in their engines. In the past you would always hear that a turbo car should run 40 weight oil to help with the turbo bearings? Is that even true any more?

So at 20,000 miles and cleaned intake valves. I will probably go back to either a 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil. I might even give the BMW 5W-30(Castrol Softec) oil a shot in this engine.

M1 0w-40 is a great oil, but it is only a 40 weight for short time. It shears to a high 30 weight and is probably about similar to the PS 0w-30 in viscosity after that. You could also try GC 0w-30 if you feel like as it will be almost exactly like the PS out of the bottle. GC doesn't seem to shear much at all.

I would worry more about the VW approval and the HTHS # more than the viscosity # on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: 30valve

I would worry more about the VW approval and the HTHS # more than the viscosity # on the bottle.

Both oils are VW 502/505 approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back