Pennzoil Ultra Platinum vs Valvoline Extended Protection?

I have a 2006 Toyota Camry with the 2azfe that I bought used with 143k miles, currently sitting on 167k - HEAVY city driving - think of the worst stop and go in the world. I used to run Supertech. I moved over to Pennzoil Ultra Plat/Platinum. I noticed that my engine quieted down, especially at high throttle. There was a mechanical noise at 3k RPM that disappeared with Pennzoil.
Pennzoil darkened quicker as well - and I noticed that varnish underneath the oil cap was gradually being cleaned, which excited me. When I took the valve cover off to replace the gasket, I noticed the varnish had softened, came off on my finger.
HOWEVER. Pennzoil seems to burn more than Supertech did 20k miles ago, which I hear is common for Pennzoil Ultra Plat/Platinum. I noticed that Pennzoil also burns blue on cold start (valve stem seals).
I read that Supertech and Valvoline may use similar base oils. What do you think about me changing over to Valvoline now that my engine is a lot cleaner on the inside, and I'm hoping that Valvoline burns less?

Ultra has a GTL base oil, Grp 3+, whereas EP is Grp 3 unless you go with EP High Mileage which is also GTL Grp 3+. The Valvoline EP HM makes total sense for your vehicle IMO and may burn less as Valvoline Maxlife additives are also supposed to reduce consumption.

Won’t hurt to try it. But I would pick Ultra over standard EP for your car.

Ultra has a GTL base oil, Grp 3+, whereas EP is Grp 3 unless you go with EP High Mileage which is also GTL Grp 3+. The Valvoline EP HM makes total sense for your vehicle IMO and may burn less as Valvoline Maxlife additives are also supposed to reduce consumption.

Won’t hurt to try it. But I would pick Ultra over standard EP for your car.
Are you saying that Valvoline EP High Mileage is the only oil in their lineup that is GTL like Pennzoil? I saw some videos on it and it has insane Moly content.
Do you think I'll start leaking seals because of the HM additives?

Are you saying that Valvoline EP High Mileage is the only oil in their lineup that is GTL like Pennzoil? I saw some videos on it and it has insane Moly content.
Do you think I'll start leaking seals because of the HM additives?

The only Valvoline product I am aware of that appears to be GTL is the EP HM.

As far as leaks, it should be the opposite of your concern. Many HM oils claim they help stop leaks.

If it's the right thing to do, what manufacturers provide HM oils in their factory-fill?
Ever wonder why they don't?
Don't say contractual price savings..... that's the wrong answer.
Can you explain why that would be a bad idea? From a technical standpoint I mean.

Wouldn’t those oils meet the API license that’s required for the car?

I have a 2006 Toyota Camry with the 2azfe that I bought used with 143k miles, currently sitting on 167k - HEAVY city driving - think of the worst stop and go in the world. I used to run Supertech. I moved over to Pennzoil Ultra Plat/Platinum. I noticed that my engine quieted down, especially at high throttle. There was a mechanical noise at 3k RPM that disappeared with Pennzoil.
Pennzoil darkened quicker as well - and I noticed that varnish underneath the oil cap was gradually being cleaned, which excited me. When I took the valve cover off to replace the gasket, I noticed the varnish had softened, came off on my finger.
HOWEVER. Pennzoil seems to burn more than Supertech did 20k miles ago, which I hear is common for Pennzoil Ultra Plat/Platinum. I noticed that Pennzoil also burns blue on cold start (valve stem seals).
I read that Supertech and Valvoline may use similar base oils. What do you think about me changing over to Valvoline now that my engine is a lot cleaner on the inside, and I'm hoping that Valvoline burns less?
My '17 Camry likes PUP 5w-20. .02

I might try running Valvoline Restore and Protect.

If you want to spend more, running HPL Engine Clean and switching HPL oil has shown some evidence of unsticking rings.
I think issue is valve stem seals causing the burning, possibly not stuck rings. Maybe it's slightly worn out, I dunno. Haven't done a compression test ever.

What's the right answer? Not being snarky, I am truly interested to learn your point of view.
Please learn what already exists in a jug of oil. Please understand that the shape and form of seals would be different, if the new engine factory thought such changes needed to be done.

Ask a passenger car manufacturer why they don't issue HM oils at the factory. Please don't be ashamed if they crack a OMG smirk on their face afterwards.

Please learn what already exists in a jug of oil. Please understand that the shape and form of seals would be different, if the new engine factory thought such changes needed to be done.

Ask a passenger car manufacturer why they don't issue HM oils at the factory. Please don't be ashamed if they crack a OMG smirk on their face afterwards.
What?

Anything of reason to back that up?

Back