Pennzoil Ultra Platinum SN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Correction, I quoted various low viscosity above.

It should be "interchangeable low viscosity".

Here is that thread with the epc link.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ds-tds-for-qs-pnzl-shell-etc#Post5045545

Getting to what you want is pretty convoluting but this site has the most recent SDS for Shell products.

I am pretty sure somebody looked up the CAS #'s and those still pointed to GTL bases.

Are they making GTL base from methods other than FT? It's just odd why they would change the wording.

I think they used to, but IIRC, that CAS # points to the bases that come from Pearl. I think it was Gokhan who dug it up.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
So what benefits do you guys get when using PUP over PP?

I noted that the PP 5w30 was quieter when I ran it to 5k. Now that aquariscsm educated me on PPHM it will go in the Camry next or in less than 2k
wink.gif

They most likely both use the same base oil so I think that the add pack of PUP must be better in terms of keeping the engine cleaner in the long run. If we had more detailed technical specs for Pennzoil oils it's possible Ultra Platinum has a lower Noack value, but without that data, who knows?
21.gif

It's only an extra $2 per year to run Ultra Platinum compared to Platinum in my Civic, so why not? I'm putting my trust in Pennzoil that Ultra Platinum is indeed the better oil, even though I can't say with 100% confidence if that's true.

Amazon has become expensive for motor oil, other than their brand of course.

As for the albino deer, I still have not seen it in any stores in my area.

It's normally the same price as WM or less. Other than clearance WM oil I buy almost all my oil from Amazon. My last purchase was PPHM for $13.xx/jug. If you use one certain oil and only buy it when you need it Amazon may not be a good fit.

There are distributors for this.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Or just order it online from Walmart.com. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by dave1251

Or just order it online from Walmart.com. Doesn't get any easier than that.

That's okay. Actually I haven't never used Pennzoil. It's good oil but I have my own preferences. I haven't used QS either for reasons I've shared before.

Add the word "ultra", take away the very robust d1g2 cert and Ford B1 spec, and charge more for it... perfect recipe for the gullible consumers of today.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I thought the Ultra has beefier base stocks and beefier additives.
So it doesn't? - say it ain't so Slava! If not, then it should be both Dexos1 / Gen2 and SN Plus.

If I remember correctly, it used to say it's keeps your engine 60% cleaner then M1 and PP was at 40%-ish; at the same time, I remember PUP had more Calcium which sorta makes sense to me.
Honestly, not sure how much beefier you can go for $2 but I don't know for sure. They mostly state it's a bit cleaner and works better at extreme temperatures, which my car doesn't experience really.
Also, to be quite honest I've ran PUP and PP for over 2 years in my Kia and was quite happy with both

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I thought the Ultra has beefier base stocks and beefier additives.
So it doesn't? - say it ain't so Slava! If not, then it should be both Dexos1 / Gen2 and SN Plus.

If I remember correctly, it used to say it's keeps your engine 60% cleaner then M1 and PP was at 40%-ish; at the same time, I remember PUP had more Calcium which sorta makes sense to me.
Honestly, not sure how much beefier you can go for $2 but I don't know for sure. They mostly state it's a bit cleaner and works better at extreme temperatures, which my car doesn't experience really.
Also, to be quite honest I've ran PUP and PP for over 2 years in my Kia and was quite happy with both

You are recollecting this graphic (albeit incorrectly):
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

You are recollecting this graphic (albeit incorrectly)]

Well, the order is correct PUP > PP > M1
smile.gif

Went to the PP web page and so this "GF6 ready" wording, that's interesting

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 12.18.12 PM.png

Last edited:
Yes, 30% cleaner than the standards is certainly a big back-down from the previous claims, as I'm sure all majors are cleaner than the standards.

Yes, 30% cleaner than the standards is certainly a big back-down from the previous claims, as I'm sure all majors are cleaner than the standards.

I really doubt these claims are anything but marketing.
Still, Pennzoil is an excellent oil. They've updated the design recently and are ready fo GF6 I guess, might switch back to PP after I'll use my Magnatec and Napa I've got on sale

I really doubt these claims are anything but marketing.
Still, Pennzoil is an excellent oil. They've updated the design recently and are ready fo GF6 I guess, might switch back to PP after I'll use my Magnatec and Napa I've got on sale

Agreed. I'm running M1 EP 0w-20 due to its PAO content in the RAM. I have several OCI's worth at this point, so that's "it" for now. Will be trying to source more Ravenol for the Jeep for the same reason: PAO. Doesn't hurt that it's actually approved for the application too
wink.gif

That's okay. Actually I haven't never used Pennzoil. It's good oil but I have my own preferences. I haven't used QS either for reasons I've shared before.

So you have used Pennzoil?
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back