pennzoil ultra-platinum, higher VI higher & noack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lex94
PUP 0w40 NOACK at 13...That's embarrassing.

Yup. Apparently the SRT crowd does not care about Noack as much as the Euro crowd.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yup. Apparently the SRT crowd does not care about Noack as much as the Euro crowd.
smile.gif

Is 13 really that bad though.
I can't help but think we obsess over this and that when in reality its the finished formula and not one value or another that truly matters.

Right?

Strictly talking NOACK, the 10W30 looks impressive. If strictly NOACK is your thing.

The previous TDS for PUP 5w30 was 10.5 NOACK. The new one is 11.5. Not a good trend! And the 10w30 NOACK is 5.7. Double the NOACK for just going from 10w30 to 5w30. And no HTHS spec on the sheets. I'm glad I stocked up on PU.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

smile.gif

I wrote it half jokingly. I agree Noack alone is not the end all be all. Although, 13% is higher than what some of the Euro specs allow. For a while we wondered whether this PU SRT 0w-40 could carry these Euro specs (if SOPUS were to submit it for relevant testing), and based on this Noack value, we know that it couldn't.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

smile.gif

I can't help but think we obsess over this and that when in reality its the finished formula and not one value or another that truly matters.

Right?

No, but it isn't that great. M1 0w-40's is 8.8% for reference.

Huge fail. I'm switching to Mobil 1 if this turns out to be correct. Only reason I used PU was for the low Noack in my DI engine.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I am holding out for "Super Duper Ultra Platinum Extended formula with Unobtanium".

lol.gif

Seriously, the names of these oils crack me up.

I'm sure XOM thanks you but if that is the only reason for the switch, do you even know what the NOACK of M1 is?

Originally Posted By: slapshot54
Huge fail. I'm switching to Mobil 1 if this turns out to be correct. Only reason I used PU was for the low Noack in my DI engine.

Originally Posted By: BrandonT
SOPUS's own question and answer here said Platinum lines will be below 10%?

What they said in the Q&A was this:
Quote:
The use of PurePlus™ Base Oil enables Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology with NOACK volatilties of 10% or lower.

So, notice they only said this about Platium, but not about Ultra Platinum.

Their statement does hold true for Platinum.

Any Update on this? Is there a UOA thread analysis for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Pure Plus that is more recent? I noticed recently that Motorcraft Full Synthetic has a NOACK of 15.3% which is technically out of spec. It's supposed to be 15% or lower and my next oil change is going to PUP with a Ford Racing Filter (Excellent Filtration and flow characteristics).

Also the Motorcraft Full Synthetic is running 11.00 a quart now. I got raped on my last oil change and I don't feel the viscosity adjusts as well to temperature changes. I like the Friction Modifier and detergent additives in the PUP as well, and Mobile 1 has a tendency to drop a quart or two in between changes.

This plus Top Tier Fuel and a bottle of Techron every thousand miles should keep the 5.0 in my 2014 Mustang as clean as can be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Criticalmass
Any Update on this? Is there a UOA thread analysis for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Pure Plus that is more recent? I noticed recently that Motorcraft Full Synthetic has a NOACK of 15.3% which is technically out of spec. It's supposed to be 15% or lower and my next oil change is going to PUP with a Ford Racing Filter (Excellent Filtration and flow characteristics).

Also the Motorcraft Full Synthetic is running 11.00 a quart now. I got raped on my last oil change and I don't feel the viscosity adjusts as well to temperature changes. I like the Friction Modifier and detergent additives in the PUP as well, and Mobile 1 has a tendency to drop a quart or two in between changes.

This plus Top Tier Fuel and a bottle of Techron every thousand miles should keep the 5.0 in my 2014 Mustang as clean as can be.

What grade are you interested in?
The Russian Oil Club posted an analysis claiming that the NOACK loss for PUP 5W30 is 9.3%.
Whether you want to believe the ROC is up to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back