Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 - No Dexos license

References:

Is this oil Dexos Gen2 certified? by daworm86June 6, 2018

Last answer: August 23, 2018

Hi, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 is currently not approved for the GM dexos1 Generation 2 specification. - Aly, Pennzoil Technical Information
by Pennzoil Product Expert

OK, so I was looking to get oil for my upcoming (2022) oil change, and I figured I'd see what PUP had to offer for my 2015 GM car. I went to Walmart's website and looked closely at the front of the bottle. No Dexos green stamp of quality. I looked closely at the back of the bottle. No Dexos license number. So I looked in the questions. Pennzoil (Aly, I think I've seen her in a Pennzoil video) says no Dexos on PUP.

Is there a way to determine whether PUP is good enough to meet Dexos 1 (Gen 1 or 2, I don't care which)? Or, did they pull the license because of some shortcoming of the oil?

I've looked at PUP posts on BITOG and they tend to be a few years old, and say that PUP is Dexos qualified.

Am I missing something, or did Pennzoil quietly drop their PUP Dexos license?

I think it's been assumed that there was a reformulation and the target buyer of PUP doesn't care if it says dexos on the bottle or not, and I'm sure that PUP sells in nowhere near the volume as regular platinum so they didn't bother with the expense of having it certified.

Last edited:
PP is good. According to Blackstone labs, PUP does have "more" stuff but not so much that it would make a huge difference over 100,000 miles if a good OCI is done. Just use PP.

It’s not certified, and everything else to the contrary is just brand love and guesswork. They used to have it and they lost it, that’s all you know.

I have some full synthetic Euro (A3) rated 5W30 oils, very high quality, but they can’t be Dexos1 rated, even though they are MB and BMW rated.

SAPS level to high (for extra TBN) for Dexos, it‘s a 30 grade but at the thick end (for extra protection) so too thick for Dexos1, and I think Dexos1 also want their oils to be a bit more pumpable for it‘s cold starting W rating than the API limits (so a bit thinner base stock might have to be used).

Basically Dexos is a good quality standard, but you can make other good quality 5W30 oils that don’t pass Dexos because they are formulated to be good in different ways.

Just because PUP isn’t dexos that doesn’t mean it has to be bad or inferior, it could be formulated to be good in a different (non-dexos) way, just like my A3 oil above. Instead of focusing on what it isn’t, find out what it is. Then decide if that’s what you want.

Last edited:
IMHO after using PUP 5w30 in my cars, found nothing special about it (may dare to say the opposite for its thinner side for the 30 grade). And if anyone one of my vehicles need dexos I wouldn't use it for sure. M1 vanilla 5w30 or EP are 2 excellent choices.

IMHO after using PUP 5w30 in my cars, found nothing special about it (may dare to say the opposite for its thinner side for the 30 grade). And if anyone one of my vehicles need dexos I wouldn't use it for sure. M1 vanilla 5w30 or EP are 2 excellent choices.
You're alluding that there is something wrong with it. Were your vehicles damaged? Was it out of grade?

Hello?

my 2 cents worth:

You can use PUP in your GM with no problem.
You can use PP in your GM with no problem.
You can use Supertech or Kirkland in your GM with no problem.

Sleep well tonight.

With the new normal price of PUP now $36.xx at Walmart.com I won’t buying anymore of it. PP is $21.xx, they used to only be a couple dollars apart which made it a difficult situation. But now PP FTW.

Back