Pennzoil Ultra 0W-20 exists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is a repost. MSDS is available, no TDS exists. Dated 10/2011 so this is SN. Composition indicates the same as SM Ultra and Platinum, but maybe GTL would also be classified the same, if that's what the base oil now is.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Sorry if this is a repost. MSDS is available, no TDS exists. Dated 10/2011 so this is SN.

I've seen one MSDS for it dated 10/26/2010. If it's taking them this long to bring a product to the market, I wouldn't be holding my breath... SOPUS seems to be the master of creating products on paper, but that's about it.

I don't believe PU 0W-20 was around before the SN reformulation. PP was there before, but I don't believe PU existed. According to dparm, PP 0W-20 is widely available in Pepboys in Chicago, so it's at least picking up in a large city. The fact that they've created a PU 0W-20 at least signifies they see significance in developing such a product. I think 0W-20 becoming common isn't so far away with Honda and Toyota headed in that direction as well as Ford.

EDIT: oops, I forgot to link the msds in the first post, and Pete is right, it's 10/2010. I still think 0W-20 will be common on store shelves in the next couple years.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00113583.PDF

Last edited:
I have an idea, that the owner(s) of BITOG work a deal with SOPUS to sell their boutique(slow selling) oils to BITOG members.

Maybe the owners could make some cash.

You can get their 40 grade offerings from your local Chrysler dealer more often than not. But I do not have a reason to buy a 0/5W40 oil.

PU 0W-20 and 0W-40 are 'paper' oils only..they've published specs for 'if' they blended them, but haven't, and I doubt they ever will.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
You can get their 40 grade offerings from your local Chrysler dealer more often than not. But I do not have a reason to buy a 0/5W40 oil.

PU 0w40 is available at Chrysler dealers now?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Sorry if this is a repost. MSDS is available, no TDS exists. Dated 10/2011 so this is SN.

I've seen one MSDS for it dated 10/26/2010. If it's taking them this long to bring a product to the market, I wouldn't be holding my breath... SOPUS seems to be the master of creating products on paper, but that's about it.

I have had SOPUS deliver this product to me. Even though I use Royal Purple right now...if I had to use 0w20 I'll go with Mobil. Pennzoil Ultra is over rated IMO.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
PU 0W-20 and 0W-40 are 'paper' oils only..they've published specs for 'if' they blended them, but haven't, and I doubt they ever will.

0w20 is not paper oil, as I have had it delived to my shop and I have USED it. As for 0w40...never seen it and never heard of it. Have asked SOPUS many times to deliver it to me and they keep on telling me that it is not in production..

Originally Posted By: dparm

I wish I knew for sure.

HOUSTON, June 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Pennzoil® is introducing the new Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 synthetic motor oil, created alongside Chrysler Group engineers specifically to keep SRT engines running clean. The advanced, co-engineered formulation is the result of months of collaboration between Pennzoil scientists and Chrysler Group engineers to develop a motor oil that provides the performance that SRT owners have come to expect from their high-tech engines. Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 is the motor oil Chrysler recommends for use in all SRT engines, exceeding the stringent Chrysler MS-12633 specification
Source: PR Newswire

If your Chrysler dealership can not get it for you this place can.

{non site sponsor link removed}

Also evidently this is the Mopar part # for Ultra 0W40

Please use Mopar part number 68171067PA

IIRC the PU 0W-40 spec's do give the bench mark M1 0W-40 a run for the money. So yes it's a welcome addition to the market place. But at 9 bucks/qt I'd still stick with M1 at typically $6/qt.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: addyguy

0w20 is not paper oil, as I have had it delived to my shop and I have USED it. As for 0w40...never seen it and never heard of it. Have asked SOPUS many times to deliver it to me and they keep on telling me that it is not in production..

Odd. I wrote Pennzoil a few weeks ago on the 0-20 PU and I was told maybe in 9-12 months. Maybe later for the consumer market?
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
IIRC the PU 0W-40 spec's do give the bench mark M1 0W-40 a run for the money. So yes it's a welcome addition to the market place. But at 9 bucks/qt I'd still stick with M1 at typically $6/qt.

Still, spec sheets are only one part of the equation. Always good to run it and get a UOA.

OK...so, here's a question, at $3.96/QT for Pennzoil Ultra 5W30, what would you run?

This is somewhat academic...I just bought 4 boxes of 6 Qts each at that price, so I KNOW what I am going to run in the near future...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
OK...so, here's a question, at $3.96/QT for Pennzoil Ultra 5W30, what would you run?

This is somewhat academic...I just bought 4 boxes of 6 Qts each at that price, so I KNOW what I am going to run in the near future...

Thats a great price.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I wish I knew for sure.

HOUSTON, June 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Pennzoil® is introducing the new Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 synthetic motor oil, created alongside Chrysler Group engineers specifically to keep SRT engines running clean. The advanced, co-engineered formulation is the result of months of collaboration between Pennzoil scientists and Chrysler Group engineers to develop a motor oil that provides the performance that SRT owners have come to expect from their high-tech engines. Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 is the motor oil Chrysler recommends for use in all SRT engines, exceeding the stringent Chrysler MS-12633 specification
Source: PR Newswire

LOL Or they just rebadged Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back